Cake Laaitie Killer
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi 1.9i 8v
Membership No: missing

Rear wheel bearing woes

Post by Naku786 »

Guys,

I'm having an intermittent issue with rear wheel bearing failure on my citi golf.

Some history, I fitted rear axle spacers a few months back, my passenger left wheel had shims that I was unaware of that fell when I removed the stub axle. I had the rear shimming redone at a reputable alignment shop in durban a week later and all was well.
2 months later my left wheel bearing die, I assume due to age as I've never changed them since owning the car, I did both sides. A month of so later the left dies again(fitted correctly), this time while I was at it I fitted new OE drums, linings along with bearings.
This morning I get a metal on metal swishing noise (if this makes sense), it only happens at certain speeds or if the car is leaning on the left (around a corner) or when I'm reversing and also when using brakes.

I've had the rear wheel alignment checked by the same Centre that did my shims and all checks out... Should I get other opinions? If so can someone recommend a good wheel alignment center in durban that specializes in rear axle shimming and alignment?

Also the only thing I haven't changed is my stub axle.. Would this cause bearing failure?

Sent from a phonebooth in Hillbrow

1893cc racecar - back in the garage
Solo786 wrote:after you bust the rsi , should have put down the window and asked "Do you even lift bro?"
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Rear wheel bearing woes

Post by panic-mechanic »

Stub axle or incorrect fitment. How wide are these spacers?
And hang on- where is the spacer - between the stub and the axle or between the drum and the rim?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

Between axle and stub axle behind the backing plate. They 10mm wide. Right has no issues at all.

Looks like I will have to change the stub axle this weekend. Hopefully sorts this issue out...rear bearings get expensive monthly

Solo786 wrote:after you bust the rsi , should have put down the window and asked "Do you even lift bro?"
Valcon
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Model: Crosspolo
Membership No: 3243

Post by Valcon »

Noob question, but did you use the right grease and was it packed correctly?
Current:

2009 VW Crosspolo 1.9tdi with Qtec stage one remap.
2015 VW Polo 1.2Tsi ( The Wifes Car)
Ex:

1989 VW Golf MKll GTi - Engine swapped to a 2.0L 8v long block with dickator management - SOLD
1993 VW Golf MKlll GTi - SOLD
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yeha no effect from the spacer plate on bearings then. Put new stub, Make sure it's packed right, right grease, not too tight(this is usually what kills them people overtighten it) and you should be golden.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

Use Castrol bns always, and yes was greased accordingly, bearing rollers and casing, race, drum cavity and stub shaft.

Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

panic-mechanic wrote:Yeha no effect from the spacer plate on bearings then. Put new stub, Make sure it's packed right, right grease, not too tight(this is usually what kills them people overtighten it) and you should be golden.
Thanks panic, will tackle it this weekend and report.