Help: 2000 citigolf cutting-out after a second

martinwilson
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Help: 2000 citigolf cutting-out after a second

Post by martinwilson »

Hi,

Firstly I'd just like to thank everyone on this forum - because countless hours of searching through the forum has helped me repair my car many times over the years. But I need some specific advice, so here is my first post....

My CitiGolf Chico (2000, 1.3 carburetor) had a serious wiring short which fried my ignition system. After cutting-out all the burned wires and replacing them, I found that my distributor cap, hall sensor, coil and TCI-h module all needed replacing.

I got the parts from GW, and actually bought both a black (7-pin) TCI-h and a grey (7-pin) TCI-h to replace my very burned-out original grey module. I got both because I didn't know which one I'd need, and thought maybe it'd be good to have spare anyway.

I installed all the parts, and after adjusting the timing a little, my car is starting nicely using the grey TCI-h and I can get very smooth revs - but after a second it instantly cuts out. Interestingly, when using the black TCI-h I don't even get a spark (maybe its a dud part??)

Anyway - searching through this forum I have come across mentions that the TCI-h module in models after '99 need to be coded to my key. But other posts disagree with that. Others say that using an older 6-pin TCI-h might bypass the need for coding.

This is an old car that I don't want to sink more money into than necessary - and I am completely fine with permanently bypassing any security features to get it to start. Is there anything I can do, short of towing it to my closest auto-electrician to get it to start??

Thanks in advance!
Sean Trollope
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW. Hyundai.
Car Model: Citi golf. Hyundai i10

Re: Help: 2000 citigolf cutting-out after a second

Post by Sean Trollope »

Is it getting fuel? Or enough fuel to allow it to idle.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

martinwilson
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by martinwilson »

Juan the dealer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am Is it getting fuel? Or enough fuel to allow it to idle.
Hi Juan, thanks for your reply!
Yes - the fuel was being pumped to the carb fine.

I got my car running yesterday - and hopefully the following info will be of use to someone:

The TCI unit in Chico golfs post '99 absolutely needs to be linked to your key transponder. However, if like me you don't want to have to tow your car to a dealer\auto-elec there is a workaround. Buy the older type TCI (black, 6 active pins with no transponder matching) as well as the wires that go from the module to the hall sensor and the coil. The older TCIs were meant to be mounted under the rain guard in the bonnet, and so the wires are shorter than the ones that go to the TCI mounting point under the dash on the passenger side. Luckily there are still mounting bolts under the rain guard which you can use to mount the replacement TCI.

Splice the new Coil+ wire into the wire that already goes to your coil's positive terminal (originating from the ignition switch); disconnect the original Coil- wire from the coil and replace it with the one from your new TCI wiring loom. Swap the original hall unit plug with the new one, and attach the earth terminal of the new wiring loom to one of the coil's mounting bolts. This effectively bypasses the transponder entirely - and your car will run normally.

The only significant downside it that now there is no signal going to my rev counter - but I suspect that the rev counter just uses the same signal from the Hall sensor, so I am going to experiment with splicing the rev counter wire directly into the hall sensor signal wire (going to the TCI). I will report back on whether this works or not.
Sean Trollope
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW. Hyundai.
Car Model: Citi golf. Hyundai i10

Post by Sean Trollope »

Thank you very much for the research. I'm sure others will find this very useful.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk