PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Towing a trailer

Post by PapaJo »

Nkosana92 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:02 pm Good day is it safe to tow a trailer with a polo vivo 1.6 2017 model
You don’t state the size of the trailer. If you refer to a Venter trailer of 5 or 6 foot, it should be fine.

Check your cars owners manual as it will state what is the maximum weight you can tow with your car.
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

I have a buddy with a 1.6 Polo who regularly tows a 2 bike Lazy Lowder trailer with two superbikes on it to track days at Zwartkops, Kyalami, Redstar and Midvaal.
No issues apart from steepish uphills when the 1.6 struggles a bit.

The bikes are 400kg and the trailer is about 250, then add on his gear, spares and stuff loaded in the car as well.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

Welcome to the forum!
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

1.General rule about towing is that the trailer weight with the load cannot exceed the weight of the towing vehicle - Unstable.
2. Towball/nose maximum weight , Usually 100kg on the smaller cars and 300kg+ on the bigger vans.
3. Towball height should be 350 mm to 465 mm from the ground for loaded vehicles

Your load in the trailer should be more on the trailer wheels then on the nose of the trailer for single axle's , double axle trailers are different since most of the load is on the wheel - you simply just pulling the trailer provided the load is not on the nose of the trailer.

To answer your question , Yes it's safe to tow a small sized trailer with the Polo and the 1.6 will struggle as Jetta2 and Papajo advised.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Mod Edit - Neuk - Moved to Technical section.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Loading the trailer is vitally important. I learnt this almost the hard way. Pulling a double axel trailer with my Mk3 GTi. Trailer had my race car loaded (as I would normally load it) but I failed to account for the Race car being filled with spares, tyres and tools (as I was towing the car from an away race we'd just done in PE) I had loaded the car from the transporter at Killarney. All went well until I got on the M5...... the trailer started fish tailing and I could hear the rubber of it's wheels screeching as it swayed.
This was the most terrifying thing ever.........did not know to speed up or slow down. I somehow got the whole thing under control, but almost rolled both roadcar, trailer and race car.
Since then I am much more careful when loading trailer......also still don't like towing for extended distances. Some of the race drivers drive at speed with trailers no problem. I prefer car transporters for race car transit.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Three or 4 things to consider.
A) manufacturer recommended maximum towing weight not to be exceeded
B) south african law says if trailer over 750kg loaded then it must have run-in brakes.
C) car and trailer combo not to exceed the car's combined max weight as per the disc and the trailer cannot weigh more than the car even with run-in brakes.
D) your license needs to be B1 tomtow up to 750kg's and EC to tow more.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Jetta2 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 pm I have a buddy with a 1.6 Polo who regularly tows a 2 bike Lazy Lowder trailer with two superbikes on it to track days at Zwartkops, Kyalami, Redstar and Midvaal.
No issues apart from steepish uphills when the 1.6 struggles a bit.

The bikes are 400kg and the trailer is about 250, then add on his gear, spares and stuff loaded in the car as well.
Wow
Your Friend is testing that Polo Vivo motor properly and the overall cars strength.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.