Enlisted
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 1.4 TSI
Membership No: missing

2013 Golf 7 1.4 TSI CMB engine TURBO

Post by Mustangsa »

Good day all

A few days ago my Golf's EPC and Catalytic converter lights went on. I took it to my local RMI Approved Automotive centre which in the past has done great work on my cars. The guys advised that the turbo's exhaust flap regulating the exhaust gases gets stuck, causing the system to pickup issues. The car was put on their diagnostic machine.

The guys quoted me to replace the turbo (engine and turbo have 85 000km on the clock), with a new VW sourced turbo. Apparently these CMB engined recon turbos are not easily available and the whole turbo unit needs to be replaced (in excess of R35 000 job) since these turbos are moulded into a complete unit or something.

1) Is there anybody who has experienced similar issues and can advise of a turbo company who can assist with a reconditioned/cheaper turbo somewhere?
2) Is there anybody who can confirm if the motor controlling the exhaust flap can be obtained somewhere since the Automotive centre guys advised that it is not possible to obtain loose parts in the turbo unit?
3) I need to obtain a new or reconditioned turbo since my extended warranty company only pays out for new or recon turbos (also only a fraction of the R35 000 the VW turbo would cost me).

Thanks all, much appreciated.

PS - I am in the Centurion area.
Eddy Makara
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: 1.4tsi touran

Re: 2013 Golf 7 1.4 TSI CMB engine TURBO

Post by Eddy Makara »

Mustangsa wrote:Good day all

A few days ago my Golf's EPC and Catalytic converter lights went on. I took it to my local RMI Approved Automotive centre which in the past has done great work on my cars. The guys advised that the turbo's exhaust flap regulating the exhaust gases gets stuck, causing the system to pickup issues. The car was put on their diagnostic machine.

The guys quoted me to replace the turbo (engine and turbo have 85 000km on the clock), with a new VW sourced turbo. Apparently these CMB engined recon turbos are not easily available and the whole turbo unit needs to be replaced (in excess of R35 000 job) since these turbos are moulded into a complete unit or something.

1) Is there anybody who has experienced similar issues and can advise of a turbo company who can assist with a reconditioned/cheaper turbo somewhere?
2) Is there anybody who can confirm if the motor controlling the exhaust flap can be obtained somewhere since the Automotive centre guys advised that it is not possible to obtain loose parts in the turbo unit?
3) I need to obtain a new or reconditioned turbo since my extended warranty company only pays out for new or recon turbos (also only a fraction of the R35 000 the VW turbo would cost me).

Thanks all, much appreciated.

PS - I am in the Centurion area.
Contact Gabby at fastec turbo 082 922 4233

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Or go for at least a second opinion. Speak to Trevor greene 083 309 5033 he can tell you if it needs a turbo or not. Many turbo actuators can be sourced and replaced these days.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Mustangsa
Enlisted
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf 7 1.4 TSI
Membership No: missing

Post by Mustangsa »

Hi guys

Thanks for the info. I am taking the car for a second opinion, just thought I ask the guys here as well - maybe somebody had a similar experience...

Cheers
Driving: 2013 Golf 7 1.4 TSI
MUKS
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf 7 TSI
Membership No: 1318

Post by MUKS »

Hi Mustangs,

I had the same experience on my 2013 Golf 1.2tsi at 115000km.

I bought a 2nd turbo and did the work myself :
4 bolts hold the turbo to the head remove oil feed and return, water pipes and air intake the whole job took me about 2 hours.

Thanks
Muks
Link To My Thread http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 11&t=60402
Golf 7 TSI
Seat Cupra 1.9 TDI REVO stage 2 done , De-Cat , Joms fitted
Golf 4 1.8 20v Comfortline SOLD It's a question of style
Jetta 2 CLI 16V - RIP Never have enough time to play round
Fox 2l 8v mp9 - SOLD My joy and happy days

Vw all the way
Image THE SEVENTH DAY GOD MADE THE CUPRA !!! Image