Vibration on steering

Clifford13
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Vibration on steering

Post by Clifford13 »

Hi guys. I am new to the forum. My apologies if this has been discussed before. I really need some help. I have a 2006 Polo 1.9 TDI (74kw). When i bought the vehicle, it had an annoying vibration between 100 km/h and 140 km/h. To date i have replaced both sides engine mountings, gearbox (dogbone) mounting, lower control arm bushings, rackends, tie rod ends, front brake discs and pads, balljoints and inner and outer cvs. I have also changed 3 sets of wheels and tyres, balanced the wheels as well and the vibration is still there. I have also checked the wheel bearings, they are fine. It is driving me nuts. I went to a cv place yesterday, they told me that the left inner cv was making a noise. I took it to another cv place to get a 2nd opinion. They removed the complete cv joint on both sides, stripped them and there was nothing wrong with it. They then serviced both inners and out them back. Now the vibration is worse than before. It now pulls to the right when accelerating. I took it for alignment and i was told it is torque steer. At low speed, the steering moves left to right. On the highway, it does the same thing. If i accelerate uphill, the vibration is bad. I tried putting it into neutral or pressing the clutch in, it still has a shimmy. Pls guys, this car is costing me a fortune and it is not getting fixed.
Clifford13
Enlisted

Re: Vibration on steering

Post by Clifford13 »

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Speed vibration will normally come from something actually travelling at that speed.. did they check the driveshafts for straightness?

I did see some warped flywheels causing vibrations but thats dependant on engine rpm

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Ashveer03 wrote:Speed vibration will normally come from something actually travelling at that speed.. did they check the driveshafts for straightness?

I did see some warped flywheels causing vibrations but thats dependant on engine rpm

Hi. Thanks for the response. They checked the driveshaft, everything was fine. From 10km/h to any speed, if i accelerate, they steering moves from side to side. If i let go of the throttle, the vibrations stop a little bit but the steering still has a shimmy. If i press the clutch in a bit, the vibration can be felt on there as well. The only thing i have changed are the shocks and bearings.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

U can feel the vibration through the clutch pedal?

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Ashveer03 wrote:U can feel the vibration through the clutch pedal?

Yes. Only if i press the pedal slightly. It feels like the wheel balancing is off but its not. I just had it balanced. Rims are staright. Tyres are brand new.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Does the clutch feel normal?
Was any work done to the car before the problem started?
Do u notice any other unusual noises or anything besides the vibration?

Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Ashveer03 wrote:Does the clutch feel normal?
Was any work done to the car before the problem started?
Do u notice any other unusual noises or anything besides the vibration?

Clutch feels fine. The release bearing is noisy but clutch is fine. The only noise is a squeak on the drivers side when going over a bump. I suspect it is the shock mounting making the noise. I dont know if this helps but on idle, the steering vibrates alot.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

This is a difficult 1 bro.. where about are u situated?

Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Ashveer03 wrote:This is a difficult 1 bro.. where about are u situated?

Im in Centurion brother

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Ok we gonna have to wait for 1 of the jhb guys to recommend somebody near u..

Chat to panic mechanic he should be able to sort it out for u

Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Ashveer03 wrote:Ok we gonna have to wait for 1 of the jhb guys to recommend somebody near u..

Chat to panic mechanic he should be able to sort it out for u

Thanks man. Im new here so not sure how to chat to people and stuff.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Ok let me c if i can get any info for u

Abdullah
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Abdullah »

Bud i had the same issue on my audi..was a huge vibration only when accelerating, but mine turned out to be inner CV joints.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

He already had that checked and serviced.. but honestly i would prefer referring OP to 1 of the trusted members of the club who knows what they doing and who wouldnt **** him. Too many rip off mechs around these days

Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Ashveer03 wrote:He already had that checked and serviced.. but honestly i would prefer referring OP to 1 of the trusted members of the club who knows what they doing and who wouldnt **** him. Too many rip off mechs around these days

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it

Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

Clifford13 wrote:
Ashveer03 wrote:He already had that checked and serviced.. but honestly i would prefer referring OP to 1 of the trusted members of the club who knows what they doing and who wouldnt **** him. Too many rip off mechs around these days

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it

Hi guys. Just an update. I took the car in for inspection, 1 of the lower control arm bushings were damaged. I replaced both sides 2 months ago. In any case, i replaced them with polyurethane bushes. While i was at it, i checked the dogbone mounting, it had 2 cracks so i replaced that as well. The Dogbone mounting was replaced 4 months ago btw. I did wheel alignment, balanced my wheels as well. Car seems to have much less of a vibration. It still pulls to the right when accelerating and it still has a shimmy on the steering wheel though. I have had the wheel bearing and front and rear shocks checked, everything seems to be fine. I think it is the inner cv. My car never pulled when accelerating. After the inner cv was done, it developed torque steer.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Clifford check ur pm

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

In pretoria you can also chat to trevor greene. He is in moot street 083 309 5033
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Clifford13
Enlisted

Post by Clifford13 »

panic-mechanic wrote:In pretoria you can also chat to trevor greene. He is in moot street 083 309 5033
Thanks. I will give him a call