Golf 3 Dash lights not working

Leigh1007
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Golf 3 Dash lights not working

Post by Leigh1007 »

Hi guys. Sorry if this has been brought up before but i searched through the topics and couldn't find anything.

The green dash illumination on my 98 VR6 is not working - cluster, A/C illumination everything. All the warning lights in the cluster are working, all gauges 100%. The orange lights that indicate if A/C is on or recirculated are all working. I have checked fuses and replaced the light switch itself and still nothing. The previous owner had sound but removed it when i bought the car, I'm not sure if that could have been the cause?

Any advice what to check next?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Golf 3 Dash lights not working

Post by panic-mechanic »

No simple do this or that solution you will have to take a multimeter and check for power / continuity of wires.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Before you open up anything... Have you tried working the dimmer switch / wheel to and fro? I've seen the dimmer develop "dead spots" on many cars, including Mk1, Mk2, my own Mk4, various Audis, etc. The potentiostat or rheostat inside the dimmer wears out, and if you happen to hit one of those dead spots, all lighting is lost.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Leigh1007
Enlisted

Post by Leigh1007 »

VAG Fan wrote:Before you open up anything... Have you tried working the dimmer switch / wheel to and fro? I've seen the dimmer develop "dead spots" on many cars, including Mk1, Mk2, my own Mk4, various Audis, etc. The potentiostat or rheostat inside the dimmer wears out, and if you happen to hit one of those dead spots, all lighting is lost.
I have done that and changed out the entire switch just in case the dimmer was completely dead.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Leigh1007 wrote:Any advice what to check next?
How did it stop working? Just all of a sudden, or did something else happen? I had one of the bulbs go on the main display and needed to replace/fix.
kaingana
Enlisted

Post by kaingana »

hi guys, want to change the current dash boared (old citi dash with long cluster) to velocity dasboared (round cluster) nw i want to knw if what also must i change so that its fitted correctly with every switch or button working?
Leigh1007
Enlisted

Post by Leigh1007 »

So here is an update. Was driving one night and put the lights on and the dash lights came on. They flickered a bit when going over bumps but stayed on, i'm guessing a looses connection. Weird thing, lights go out when i turn right, switch off and on and the lights come on again... so clearly something is not plugged in properly behind the instrument cluster.
Mateus Rhein
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by Mateus Rhein »

Hi @leigh1007...
I have the same problem. You solved the problem?
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Mateus Rhein wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:12 pm Hi @leigh1007...
I have the same problem. You solved the problem?
Open binnacle / dash and check the connections. Plenty of DIY's on how to remove binnacle/dash....
Shravan
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK2 Jetta, '05 Citi 1.4

Post by Shravan »

I had a similar problem with my mk2, apparently it was something to do with earthing but I can't remember exactly what it was.
2005 Citi 1.4 Chico (Bone Stock - Not Even Radio)
1987 MK2 Jetta 1.9i 8v (Soon to be Supercharged)
Shravan
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK2 Jetta, '05 Citi 1.4

Post by Shravan »

But I think it was regarding earthing either under the dash or somewhere in the engine bay.
2005 Citi 1.4 Chico (Bone Stock - Not Even Radio)
1987 MK2 Jetta 1.9i 8v (Soon to be Supercharged)
Jimjamwil
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 months

Post by Jimjamwil »

I had this issue and solved it. The bulbs connect to 2 conductive rails, follow them down to where they connect the circuit board, bend the ends up slightly and give them a clean so the connection is good again :cool: