Gearbox related 020 box

TyroneThomas192

Gearbox related 020 box

Post by TyroneThomas192 »

Hi i urgently need some advice my golf has an 020 box its leaking oil from the input shaft and messing up the clutch and dripping continues under my car from the gearbox cover between the engine and box .....pulled the box out yesterday and found that the copper bush that goes in has a small play and is spinning with the pushrod ....the shaft got worn out on the inside anyone knows the next step as i cannot get a bigger bush or a sleeve to fit in there
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Re: Gearbox related 020 box

Post by panic-mechanic »

Can you not just place the bush in a diffent section ofnthe shaft or is it worn full depth there? Often there can be a place where it does fit tight.
If Not - well you will have to change the input shaft
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
vwpro
Captain
Car Make: Audi Quatro, polo Beast and A3
Car Model: S3, Polo Playa,
Membership No: missing

Post by vwpro »

You can take the bush out and istall a new one, buy 2 bushes and knock both in, the shaft is machined deep enough to take 2, or you can get some shim stock and install the bush with shim to take up the play , mike the id and od to to see what shim thickness you need, it might be needed to see if the clearance is enough to take the push rod, if to tight just resise the bush a bit
:troll:
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

It would probably be easier to make up an oversized bush than shim the current one.
TyroneThomas192

Post by TyroneThomas192 »

Thanks guys i searched google n everywr seems like a new problem to me but im going to the engineers today to see if i can make up a sleeve to fit in there or a bigger bush
Donavan
Lieutenant

Post by Donavan »

vwpro wrote:You can take the bush out and istall a new one, buy 2 bushes and knock both in, the shaft is machined deep enough to take 2, or you can get some shim stock and install the bush with shim to take up the play , mike the id and od to to see what shim thickness you need, it might be needed to see if the clearance is enough to take the push rod, if to tight just resise the bush a bit

Same as what I did once.

Just hammer two off them inside the shaft and just for some extra piece mind I used 2 seals also :grin:
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
vwpro
Captain
Car Make: Audi Quatro, polo Beast and A3
Car Model: S3, Polo Playa,

Post by vwpro »

Killerwatt wrote:It would probably be easier to make up an oversized bush than shim the current one.

To make biger one dont work as the shaft is not worn from the front, to get the bigger bush in you have to open the tip where the seal fits, if juzt force it in the id will go smaller and u have a problem it loose and you wont get the push rod in, so how big will you make it, will you get a seal to fit???
No, usealy the bush are worn and not the shaft, get the old one out and put 2 new ones in and your problem solved,
:troll: