VOLKSWAGEN CITI GOLF CHICO LEFT BACKLIGHT NOT WORKING

MORNEB51
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

VOLKSWAGEN CITI GOLF CHICO LEFT BACKLIGHT NOT WORKING

Post by MORNEB51 »

WHY WOULD MY VOLKSWAGEN CITI GOLF CHICO'S LEFT BACK LIGHT ONLY WORK WHEN BRAKES ARE USED AND NOT IF LIGHTS IS TURNED ON? AND MY RIGHT BACK LIGHT IS WORKING WITH BOTH.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: VOLKSWAGEN CITI GOLF CHICO LEFT BACKLIGHT NOT WORKING

Post by missioner »

It has a dual filament globe.

Buy a new one and install it.

Cost R10 if you getting ripped off.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
MORNEB51
Enlisted

Post by MORNEB51 »

missioner wrote:It has a dual filament globe.

Buy a new one and install it.

Cost R10 if you getting ripped off.

I did buy a new one and it still does that.
Scatman
General
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320d Msport
Membership No: 1773

Post by Scatman »

Also check that you've fitted the globe correctly.
Current:
2008 BMW 320d Msport Auto
Ex:
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2006 BMW E90 330d Manual
*Click here*
2006 Sportline
*Click here*
Mk4 Jetta TDI - 79wKw, 256Nm atw @KAR
*Click here*
Margaret - '75 Audi 80 Restoration Project
*Click here*
2005 1.4i Citi Golf
*Click here*
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Scatman wrote:Also check that you've fitted the globe correctly.
+1

If you still having issues, it's likely that the earth for globe went missing. Check the globe holder for corrosion and also look at the connector, the last wire on one end is brown. That's the earth for the light cluster.

If you have a multimeter you can test for continuity from the globe connector to the body. If not, the earth point is under the carpet on the left side of the boot. Follow the wiring loom and you will find brown wires screwed to the body. Clean them with sand paper and tighten. Retest for earth. If the multimeter beeps you are winning.

Next step is to see if you have power to the globe. Get some one to help you while you use your same meter to test the circuits. Don't short out the globe socket with the probe it will blow fuses. If the power is there, the globe is faulty. If not, trace the conductor to the connector and check there. Still no power? It's one continuous wire from the light to the fuse box. Test the relevant fuse for continuity and then for power. If you got power replace the fuse, if not, replace the fuse box.

If this all sounds like seriously higher grade stuff, then go see an auto electrical shop and take vaseline. They won't give you any.

Good luck.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
MORNEB51
Enlisted

Post by MORNEB51 »

missioner wrote:
+1

If you still having issues, it's likely that the earth for globe went missing. Check the globe holder for corrosion and also look at the connector, the last wire on one end is brown. That's the earth for the light cluster.

If you have a multimeter you can test for continuity from the globe connector to the body. If not, the earth point is under the carpet on the left side of the boot. Follow the wiring loom and you will find brown wires screwed to the body. Clean them with sand paper and tighten. Retest for earth. If the multimeter beeps you are winning.

Next step is to see if you have power to the globe. Get some one to help you while you use your same meter to test the circuits. Don't short out the globe socket with the probe it will blow fuses. If the power is there, the globe is faulty. If not, trace the conductor to the connector and check there. Still no power? It's one continuous wire from the light to the fuse box. Test the relevant fuse for continuity and then for power. If you got power replace the fuse, if not, replace the fuse box.

If this all sounds like seriously higher grade stuff, then go see an auto electrical shop and take vaseline. They won't give you any.

Good luck.

THANK YOU!! I WILL TRY IT. HOPE I WIN!!
Scatman
General
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320d Msport
Membership No: 1773

Post by Scatman »

MORNEB51 wrote:
missioner wrote:
+1

Good luck.

THANK YOU!! I WILL TRY IT. HOPE I WIN!!
Did you win?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Current:
2008 BMW 320d Msport Auto
Ex:
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2006 BMW E90 330d Manual
*Click here*
2006 Sportline
*Click here*