CORRECT TYRE PRESSURE

Roderickellis
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

CORRECT TYRE PRESSURE

Post by Roderickellis »

HI GUYS

I USED TO HAVE 205/55/16 TYRES ON MY TOURAN BUT HAVE CHANGED TO 215/50/17. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE CORRECT PRESSURE. IT USED TO BE 2.5 WHEN THE CAR IS NOT LOADED AND 2.7 WITH THE FAMILY IN THE BACK.

CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE HELP ME OUT ON WHAT YOU THINK THE NEW CORRECT TYRE PRESSURE SHOULD BE ?

THANX !
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: CORRECT TYRE PRESSURE

Post by panic-mechanic »

You really will have to test ot yourself over time but lower profiles generally require slightly higher pressures. So start with 2.6 unloaded and 2.8 loaded and see if it wears evenly. Adjust according to wear patterns in future.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by smitbrandon »

Usually the tyre pressure requirements are either in your manufacturers book or in side the flap of your petrol department. Otherwise if it's aftermarket setups trial and error until you are satisfied

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Mvu
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by Mvu »

smitbrandon wrote:Usually the tyre pressure requirements are either in your manufacturers book or in side the flap of your petrol department. Otherwise if it's aftermarket setups trial and error until you are satisfied

+1
Roderickellis
Enlisted

Post by Roderickellis »

smitbrandon wrote:Usually the tyre pressure requirements are either in your manufacturers book or in side the flap of your petrol department. Otherwise if it's aftermarket setups trial and error until you are satisfied

The pressure guide i used before was inside the petrol flap but remember that was for the 16" wheels. Now its 17" and therefore i cant be the same ??
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

Roderickellis wrote:

The pressure guide i used before was inside the petrol flap but remember that was for the 16" wheels. Now its 17" and therefore i cant be the same ??
The usual concensus around going for a bigger inch is dropping your tyre profile. It's not the most accurate way of things but it will put you on the right path.

As panic mentioned above, it is a standard practice to heighten your pressure rating in lower profile tyres.

So you are currently running a 205/50/17 which is still rather a bigger tyre profile so I would suggest running 2.4/2.5 bar front and 2.2/2.3 bar rear.

If you are carrying a heavy load, I would suggest increasing your pressure reading by 1.5/2.0bar rear and 0.5/1.0 bar front.

But again this can be a start off point and you can trial and error what works best for you.

Ultimately you want a even surface tread from your tyre on the road.

Over pressuring it will cause your centre tread to wear out quicker and under pressured tyres will run off on the sides depending on your camber setting.

Also a under pressured tyre will result in more fuel usage over a longer period of time and higher pressure tires vice versa keeping into consideration what I mentioned above.

Hope this helps :)

Roderickellis
Enlisted

Post by Roderickellis »

Cool ! Thanx for the feedback. I'm going to make the pressure a little bit harder than it used to be. +- 2.7bar and feel how it drives !
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

I would say around 2.2 - 2.5bar unloaded.

@brandon, lets talk about you comment on the rear tires only as fronts will be same principle. So you suggest that the OP runs 2.2/2.3 bar rears unloaded to wich I agree. But here comes the funny part. You reckon loaded he must increase with 1.5/2 bar, at which point it’ll be close to 4 bar ..... lol
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

Deranged_9n3 wrote:I would say around 2.2 - 2.5bar unloaded.

@brandon, lets talk about you comment on the rear tires only as fronts will be same principle. So you suggest that the OP runs 2.2/2.3 bar rears unloaded to wich I agree. But here comes the funny part. You reckon loaded he must increase with 1.5/2 bar, at which point it’ll be close to 4 bar ..... lol
My word! 4bar, that will be like driving a wooden wheel dated back in the old days of time hahah

Honest mistake, I meant to say that he should increase the rear also with 0.5/1.0 bar when he will be loading the vehicle with passengers.

Shot for the help