Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Dead Aircon

Post by Pik Sooter »

Hi guys.
So after my turbo replacement, I have been having a funny issue with my aircon. It worked for a month after the turbo replacement was done, then winter rolled around, so didn't really need it. Anyhoe, summer comes rolling, aircon works for a week, and then dead.

So I thought maybe the gas was finished or it got a leak. Went to a aircon guy, asked him to check if the Evap system holds vacuum, as if it doesn't, means a leak is present.

Anyway, he plugs his refil system in, I switch on the car and put the aircon on full blast, the pump doesn't turn on.

So we check all internal fuses, no issues, check the plug, no power to the plug. We then checked the ground wire from aircon plug, has voltage. So he runs a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the pump, it immediatly kicks on and starts pulling vacuum, faulty pump ruled out.

So I quickly scan the car, non critical fault: Climate Control Fault. I don't have climate control, just the manual knobs thingy. Could this be faulty?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Re: Dead Aircon

Post by chucker02 »

Check the A/C pressure sensor. Will sit somewhere on one of the pipes. It usually has 2 wires to it. Put the aircon on with the car idling and use a jumper wire between the 2 pins on the plugs and see if the pump comes on
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Pik Sooter
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Post by Pik Sooter »

chucker02 wrote:Check the A/C pressure sensor. Will sit somewhere on one of the pipes. It usually has 2 wires to it. Put the aircon on with the car idling and use a jumper wire between the 2 pins on the plugs and see if the pump comes on
Thanks Chucker, will give it a shot in the morning. Would really hate to have to replace that whole control panel, can only imagine what it will cost. If your trick works, does it mean the sensor is faulty and has to be replaced.

chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

Pik Sooter wrote:
chucker02 wrote:Check the A/C pressure sensor. Will sit somewhere on one of the pipes. It usually has 2 wires to it. Put the aircon on with the car idling and use a jumper wire between the 2 pins on the plugs and see if the pump comes on
Thanks Chucker, will give it a shot in the morning. Would really hate to have to replace that whole control panel, can only imagine what it will cost. If your trick works, does it mean the sensor is faulty and has to be replaced.

No problem bud, yes if that works replace the sensor
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

you should be able to see in the reading blocks on HVAC what the pump status is ie if the system has decided to switch it on or not.
Will also show the system gas pressure and if it is happy with that. This will guide you to whether it is a switch issue or maybe a relay / fuse or something that does not give the signal to the pump.
Does the internal fan run. if not it won't kick the aircon compressor on.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.