Inline6 vs V6

smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Inline6 vs V6

Post by smitbrandon »

Howsit guys! So as the title states, straight 6 vs V6..

What advantages and disadvantages are we looking at in comparison? I have always wondered which of the two is the better setup?

Any of the experienced guys willing to share their knowledge on this?

I say V6...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Inline6 vs V6

Post by NHB_R »

Why would you say V6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Define "better".
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
JonathanT4
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Audi A4 B8 6MT Turbonetics T66

Post by JonathanT4 »

Ya BRO, explain yourself. I choose straight 6 because of ease of boost
Audi A4 2.0T 155KW Manual FWD. JE Pistons, IE Rods, Calico Bearings, Turbonetics T66.
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

NHB_R wrote:Why would you say V6?

Well firstly it's not so huge.. It's a better setup for FWD cars.. Better performance gains etc
Jetta2 wrote:Define "better".
Do you understand the definition of "better"
JonathanT4 wrote:Ya BRO, explain yourself. I choose straight 6 because of ease of boost
Does a v6 not ease good enough BRO?

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

I know the definition of "better"...

smitbrandon wrote:I have always wondered which of the two is the better setup?
Better how exactly.?
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

V6
- short crank, less twist especially under Boost loads
- 2 heads, 4 cams, 2 headgaskets so more complex
- shorter than a straight 6 but wider

Straight 6
- longer crank means it’ll be heavier, also the longer block means it’s easier to twist and crack, seen this issue on RB motors, if they make the block stronger it’ll be heavier
- single head gasket etc
- longer than V6 but narrower

smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

PoLonY wrote:V6

Straight 6
- longer crank means it’ll be heavier, also the longer block means it’s easier to twist and crack, seen this issue on RB motors, if they make the block stronger it’ll be heavier
- single head gasket etc

What setup would you prefer between the two? If one is to consider the setup for a drifting environment would a v6 be the better setup? Many BMW supporters have argued the fact that they would prefer a straight 6 for drifting Image I can't see it ideal unless your looking for the boat status

stig
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDi Highline 96KW
Membership No: 2083

Post by stig »

smitbrandon wrote:

Straight 6
- single head gasket etc

What setup would you prefer between the two? If one is to consider the setup for a drifting environment would a v6 be the better setup? Many BMW supporters have argued the fact that they would prefer a straight 6 for drifting Image I can't see it ideal unless your looking for the boat status

Go with what is tried and testednin drifting, inline sixes or ls swap. However depends again on the chassis you want to use

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The Ride:

'09 Polo 1.9 TDi 96KW HighLine
Mods: Straight-flow FMIC ,Stainless boost piping, RKmotion tuned, 17" Audi A5 Reps, Cobra coilovers, SMF cutch kit
H&M Dyno Night: 114KW 429NM
Dubrun 2016 Autotrix Durban: 131KW 458NM Wulfchip Stage 2
Blackout 2017 Precision Race Dyno: 120kw and 450NM RK-motion Stage 2

PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

smitbrandon wrote:

Straight 6
- single head gasket etc

What chassis will you be using?

And what is boat status?

For drifting you have to look at spares availability etc as you'll break something at some point, the BMW inline 6 is plentiful and spares are easy to get. Also tried and tested for NA and boosted applications so the homework has been done.
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

Yes

What chassis you using ?

polony i do see you say the bmw inline 6 is tried and tested . and spares are readily available.I disagree they are scares to get hold of and they expensive maybe spares can still be got but at a price.

Well to be honest if some 1 has got the money why not try the v6 setup. They normally use vg30 in tow trucks bakkies and busses and that motor is strong and it pulls.

also the older ford V6 motors are strong too i just used to hear people complain they overheat but so does the bms i think its just people that dont maintain them well. And from what i have seen and what a mechy told me they are very cheap and very cheap to maintain i have seen a few v6 fords reconed (Only Block and Head assebly ) no auxiliry items go for about R4500.00. The mechy told me to redo the motor can cost as little as 1000 in spares (Rings bearings etc )not labour.im not sure u guys can variefy for me.

The Bmw is much more expensive when it comes to this and im just comparing e30m20 motors. the m20 head now alone for a good 1 is over 4500.00.

Yes for turbo the ford is a bit complicated especially the carb motors but there is a EFI motor and it has been turbo'd before but not as much here in SA.

People just love the E30s chasis and motors especially for spinning . but i do see more e30's than what there are old fords these days or did CPT buy them all up?

What will matter for the correct setup is a good gearbox with higher ratios and a good slip diff or lock diff with high ratios so that the ease of making the wheels spin is achieved. no use u have a strong motor but gear box and diff is for long distance ratios.
Just my 2c
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

PoLonY wrote:
smitbrandon wrote:

Straight 6
- single head gasket etc

And what is boat status?

For drifting you have to look at spares availability etc as you'll break something at some point, the BMW inline 6 is plentiful and spares are easy to get. Also tried and tested for NA and boosted applications so the homework has been done.
Boat status are those daring but few who get it right to drift with a massive body. I have seen a guy from kimberley who drift the hell out of a lank old 5series and he did it like it was going out of fashion. These guys at spinfests in my opinion just floor the car and lock the steering wheel one way, no talent or skill there. I can also do that, no brains needed.

However, I haven't exactly chosen a certain chassis yet as I am in planning and research phase still before their money gets spent.

Reason for comparing the two 6banger setups is that I'm looking for a higher torque and reliability setup. It's obvious that things will eventually break but at least not every two runs something needs to be replaced.

I was able to find a left hand drive miata but the mk1 but no engine and gearbox. Perfect for starting my own build.

It's engine bay can hold either setups, it's just about which one to go with.

MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MrMazda »

MX5 engine bay is rather small, so a v6 should be easier to fit than the straight 6. However I would try fit a 1JZ or 2 Jz. Keep it Jap.
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

Rourke wrote:Yes

What chassis you using ?

polony i do see you say the bmw inline 6 is tried and tested . and spares are readily available.I disagree they are scares to get hold of and they expensive maybe spares can still be got but at a price.

Well to be honest if some 1 has got the money why not try the v6 setup. They normally use vg30 in tow trucks bakkies and busses and that motor is strong and it pulls.

also the older ford V6 motors are strong too i just used to hear people complain they overheat but so does the bms i think its just people that dont maintain them well. And from what i have seen and what a mechy told me they are very cheap and very cheap to maintain i have seen a few v6 fords reconed (Only Block and Head assebly ) no auxiliry items go for about R4500.00. The mechy told me to redo the motor can cost as little as 1000 in spares (Rings bearings etc )not labour.im not sure u guys can variefy for me.

The Bmw is much more expensive when it comes to this and im just comparing e30m20 motors. the m20 head now alone for a good 1 is over 4500.00.

Yes for turbo the ford is a bit complicated especially the carb motors but there is a EFI motor and it has been turbo'd before but not as much here in SA.

People just love the E30s chasis and motors especially for spinning . but i do see more e30's than what there are old fords these days or did CPT buy them all up?

What will matter for the correct setup is a good gearbox with higher ratios and a good slip diff or lock diff with high ratios so that the ease of making the wheels spin is achieved. no use u have a strong motor but gear box and diff is for long distance ratios.
Just my 2c
I have read up about ford's v6 engines and I found a lot of concern regarding the over heating too. Very heavy engine block which is fine for hand brake cornering. So weight is not a issue here.

My biggest concern is having a straight six is fitting the thing in the engine bay, but this ultimately depends on the car I will be going with.

If converting a fwd to rwd wasn't such a headache I would've gone with a polo classic body with a wider offset and altered camber for the front. But that would be in a perfect world. This would've been ideal with v6 setup, however it would have been a tight fit but still do-able.

Unfortunately our range in rwd cars for the rsa market isn't as vast as the USA markets.

So my assumption is mostlikely a BMW but I'm looking to go different.

smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

smitbrandon wrote:
PoLonY wrote:
smitbrandon wrote:

Straight 6
- single head gasket etc

And what is boat status?

Boat status are those daring but few who get it right to drift with a massive body. I have seen a guy from kimberley who drift the hell out of a lank old 5series and he did it like it was going out of fashion. These guys at spinfests in my opinion just floor the car and lock the steering wheel one way, no talent or skill there. I can also do that, no brains needed.

However, I haven't exactly chosen a certain chassis yet as I am in planning and research phase still before their money gets spent.

Reason for comparing the two 6banger setups is that I'm looking for a higher torque and reliability setup. It's obvious that things will eventually break but at least not every two runs something needs to be replaced.

I was able to find a left hand drive miata but the mk1 but no engine and gearbox. Perfect for starting my own build.

It's engine bay can hold either setups, it's just about which one to go with.

I was looking with going with a Toyota 20v rsi I think it's called the black top? But with a little research I have realised these buggers LOVE burning their valves. That's something I'm not keen on sitting with. To go boosted is awesome as I now know how great it is with my A3 but for a drifting setup I'm looking for raw n/a power

MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MrMazda »

The biggest problem with the Ford Essex V6 is burning valves, specially the locally developed 3.4.
The Shaikh
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 11 months
Membership No: 3010

Post by The Shaikh »

Getting some lines blurred here, Below is a picture of drift car. This is an amazing sport with attention to detail and the car setups are on point. Here you are more likely to go with your stuff from Japan. They are tried and tested and these JDMs work and there are tonnes of options and tuning etc available for these cars and they will work

This on the other hand is spinning, you just get a car stick it in first gear and get some people to dance around you while you basically do burn outs and move a bit then do another burn out. BMWs are dominent here and they will work as well without any faults.

So I think the purpose of the vehicle must be mentioned and then answers for V6 or Inline 6 will be easier to get

R0.02
If you are interested in something, No matter what it is
Go at it full speed
Embrace it with both arms
Hug it
Love it
Above all become passionate about it
Lukewarm is not good enough
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

I actually dont stay far from the guy spinning the green bm . Hamoo.

I know him personally

Sorry but its of topic.

Lets hear other comments .

On the body a BM Body would be easiest u also can go ford saphire or crsida body, but toyotas are few and pricey at the moment as they popular.

if its RAW NA power you want then a V8 setup will obviously be the best here ? Lexus ?

Cheers
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Still don't know the point the OP was trying to get at? Is it a drift car? Track Car? Rondfokkar?
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

If i had to choose between an I6 or a V6, I would take the F6 for my Porsche, everytime.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by Carel040 »

So gents to add my two cents the inline 6 is the better engine look at the firing order of both V6 and inline 6 and you would see why it is the better of the two (153624)
Cheers

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

The Shaikh wrote:Getting some lines blurred here, Below is a picture of drift car. This is an amazing sport with attention to detail and the car setups are on point. Here you are more likely to go with your stuff from Japan. They are tried and tested and these JDMs work and there are tonnes of options and tuning etc available for these cars and they will work

This on the other hand is spinning, you just get a car stick it in first gear and get some people to dance around you while you basically do burn outs and move a bit then do another burn out. BMWs are dominent here and they will work as well without any faults.

So I think the purpose of the vehicle must be mentioned and then answers for V6 or Inline 6 will be easier to get

R0.02
I'm talking about actually drifting and not spinning.

IMO spinning is a brain dead hobby that takes no skill to do. I see no actual skills shown in a spin fest.

I mean did you even see the gymkhana vids, now that's inspiration for actual drifters.

It just irritates me how limited our rsa market is on rwd cars.

JDM route would be awesome but part availability on cars like the sr20 for example are few and in between whereas in America if you trip and fall you will most likely find a exhaust manifold just chilling on the ground like a pakkie of empty simba chips... If you know what I am getting at.

Trust me, I have considered a lexus multiple times but those things are BOATS wayyy to big for me and my current experience.

The Shaikh
Cadet

Post by The Shaikh »

Do you have any friends from Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana or Zimbabwe? you can buy the Japanese imports for dog cheap and just have it registered in one of the countries since SA doesn't allow them to be registered here. Then you pay a TIP once every 6 months at SARS for about R350. Loly Jackson did it with most of his cars they were registered in Swaziland .
If you are interested in something, No matter what it is
Go at it full speed
Embrace it with both arms
Hug it
Love it
Above all become passionate about it
Lukewarm is not good enough
The Shaikh
Cadet