Vw caddy 1.6 2007

CaddyJp
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Vw caddy 1.6 2007

Post by CaddyJp »

Hi guys

I need help please. I bought a vw caddy last week. It had the new spec dash in and in a terrible condition

So i replaced it with a new dash same spec but just better condition

But the problem that came with the bakkie was as follows.

The previous owner replaced the electronic coil pack with the round one. So the revs are not showing correctly. It jumps up and down.

What and where can i check.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Vw caddy 1.6 2007

Post by PapaJo »

CaddyJp wrote:Hi guys

I need help please. I bought a vw caddy last week. It had the new spec dash in and in a terrible condition

So i replaced it with a new dash same spec but just better condition

But the problem that came with the bakkie was as follows.

The previous owner replaced the electronic coil pack with the round one. So the revs are not showing correctly. It jumps up and down.

By round one, you mean round 2 pin coil? Right? Is there a TP100 wired in and providing the trigger spark to coil? If so, Wire pin 7 from the TP100 to the distributor plug that came with the new spec wiring and you have rpm on the new spec dash.

What and where can i check.

CaddyJp
Enlisted

Post by CaddyJp »

Yes the Tp100 is there.

So today i checked there is a green wire coming from the harness going inside the bakkie. When i disconect that the rev countee dont work and the oil light comes on with the buzzer.

So must i connect pin no 7 to what colour wire?

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

CaddyJp wrote:Yes the Tp100 is there.

So today i checked there is a green wire coming from the harness going inside the bakkie. When i disconect that the rev countee dont work and the oil light comes on with the buzzer.

So must i connect pin no 7 to what colour wire?

Internet and trying to type post from my phone does not want to work very well. Now on a PC typing.
By round one, you mean round 2 pin coil? Right? Is there a TP100 wired in and providing the trigger spark to coil? If so, Wire pin 7 from the TP100 to the distributor plug that came with the new spec wiring and you have rpm on the new spec dash.

Let me explain again to clarify.

The green wire you are referring to is the green wire going to the negative side of the round coil and another from there go to the old spec dash for the rev counter. Don't know how the previous owner has done the wiring to the dash and have probably spliced in on a wire somewhere in the harness. You will need to trace it out to see where.

You install a wire from pin 7 on the TP100 to the center wire on the new spec dash distributor plug in the engine bay on the new spec wiring harness and then your rev count must work correct. Connecting it to the green wire at the coil will give it a pulsing signal, which you don't want.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Come to thought.... 2007 came originally with the new spec dash and it would have been easier to just revert back to the 3 pin coil (+- R400) to keep all working as originally intended on this model, unless some wiring modifications was made.
CaddyJp
Enlisted

Post by CaddyJp »

Thanks for the advice. It worked perfectly

PapaJo
Brigadier