smashedmink
Committee Member
Registered for: 10 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: VW Fox
Membership No: 1929

VW Fox boot lock issue - fixed

Post by smashedmink »

A couple of days ago I realized the button/boot lock on the boot lid of my 1990 Vw Fox had shifted somehow, and is now sitting skew in the boot lid :bang:
Now the dilemma is the boot will not open, even though the latch is unlocked...

I have not attempted to remove the rear seat yet to get into the boot, thought I'd first check if anybody here has experienced this or has any good advice?

Also If I were to remove the rear seat backrest how would I do so?
Its unfortunately not like a golf that can fold down.
Current: 1991 VW Fox 1600L

Ex: 2003 Mk4 Golf GTi

132hp/98.5kw & 204nm atw @ Oettinger Edenvale

Ex: 1998 Mk3 Jetta CLi 2.0

116.6hp/87kw & 179nm atw @ Stealth (Coastal + NF 5ron)
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: VW Fox boot lock issue

Post by VAG Fan »

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that the back rest of the rear seat does not give access to the boot. Behind it, there is a pretty solid chassis member than runs the whole width between the two wheel arches.

I don't want to incite you to any damage, but the only other ways I could think of, are:
... breaking one of the tail lights and trying to reach in, perhaps using a photo of a working boot lock to guide you (I could help with a photo)
... trying to find out whether the well for the spare wheel is welded into the chassis or only glued. I know on my 1992 Audi, it's made of plastic and only glued into the chassis. But AFAIK, the well of the Mk 1 is made of steel...

My ex is driving my/our/her Fox, but when I next see the car (coming weekend), I could try to have a look at some options for you.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

VAG Fan wrote:It's been a while, but I seem to remember that the back rest of the rear seat does not give access to the boot. Behind it, there is a pretty solid chassis member than runs the whole width between the two wheel arches.

I don't want to incite you to any damage, but the only other ways I could think of, are:
... breaking one of the tail lights and trying to reach in, perhaps using a photo of a working boot lock to guide you (I could help with a photo)
... trying to find out whether the well for the spare wheel is welded into the chassis or only glued. I know on my 1992 Audi, it's made of plastic and only glued into the chassis. But AFAIK, the well of the Mk 1 is made of steel...

My ex is driving my/our/her Fox, but when I next see the car (coming weekend), I could try to have a look at some options for you.
Thanks for the advice bud! I didn't know about that cross member...

I would appreciate the help thanks man!
I must be honest I am definitely not willing to break a taillight for that as they are extremely scarce. And indeed the spare wheel well is steel and welded...

VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

My pleasure, we help where we can...

OK, if the spare wheel well is welded, then the only other option I see is the parcel shelf. It has two holes for the speakers, about 15 cm in diameter. Perhaps you could manage to "remove" (or destroy, if necessary) a speaker to gain some access.

I suspect that your lock has come undone from the boot lid. Mine also did that at some stage, but fortunately I noticed some unusual play in the mechanism before it was too late, and I re-fastened the two screws.

If you manage to press the lock back into its normal position, from inside the car, using a rod, pipe, plank etc. from the inside, then a helper may be able to open it carefully.

I'll see what I can do for pics. How urgent is it - no perishable groceries in the boot? ;)
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

P.S.:
To remove the rear back rest, IIRC you first have to remove the lower seat cushion, and then, again IIRC, you take out two screws at the bottom end of the back rest. At the top, the back rest is somehow engaged with hooks or tabs, and I >>think<< you have to release these from inside the boot.

But come to think of it, I may be confusing things with my Audi.

Once you've taken out the lower screws, you may perhaps be able to slide the back rest upwards to release it from the hooks or tabs.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

VAG Fan wrote:My pleasure, we help where we can...

OK, if the spare wheel well is welded, then the only other option I see is the parcel shelf. It has two holes for the speakers, about 15 cm in diameter. Perhaps you could manage to "remove" (or destroy, if necessary) a speaker to gain some access.

I suspect that your lock has come undone from the boot lid. Mine also did that at some stage, but fortunately I noticed some unusual play in the mechanism before it was too late, and I re-fastened the two screws.

If you manage to press the lock back into its normal position, from inside the car, using a rod, pipe, plank etc. from the inside, then a helper may be able to open it carefully.

I'll see what I can do for pics. How urgent is it - no perishable groceries in the boot? ;)
I did not think of trying through the speaker whole, I can remove the speaker from the cabin so thats perfect! Will see what I can do there.

P.S. Didnt you say there was a cross member stopping access to the boot from the cabin behind the seat?

G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

The seat back is solid metal, Kinda like a firewall, you cannot access the boot from inside the car

I recall when the boot lock went bust on my moms Fox they had to drill a hole behind the rear number plate to get to the latch to release it, Once open it can be replaced the lock/latch. Where exactly you need to drill I cant tell you

I WOULD NOT BREAK A TAIL LIGHT, They are very scarce parts, You also wont get to the latch from there

If you have a speaker cutout above the rear seats you can try going through there, But getting to the latch, at that distance, With carpet in the way is going to be fun

Good luck bud
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

You are in for a hard time.

My Fox boot catch broke when I had it. It was a mission to get the boot lid open. There's a solid chunk of metal behind the seats so that is a no go. I went through the speaker holes and used a stiff wire to push the catch on my lock. Your situation is a bit different so I don't know if pushing the catch will even help. A piece of my catch has broken off.

I could find a replacement so I ended up fitting a solenoid boot release and shave the boot lid.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

@ sly dub:
The more I think about it, the more I realise that the cross member I've seen was the one on my Audi, not on my Fox. This was when I re-wired the power supply to the in-tank fuel pump with a relay from the battery under the rear seat. My thought was, to my knowledge there is a cross member in the Fox, but for all we know it may have some holes, i.e. it may not be a completely solid panel. I thought it may be worth the effort to try and remove the rear seat backrest, to see what's underneath. But the previous posters just answered that question. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

@ G-spot: what carpet are you referring to? The piece between the tail lights?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

G-spot wrote:The seat back is solid metal, Kinda like a firewall, you cannot access the boot from inside the car

I recall when the boot lock went bust on my moms Fox they had to drill a hole behind the rear number plate to get to the latch to release it, Once open it can be replaced the lock/latch. Where exactly you need to drill I cant tell you

I WOULD NOT BREAK A TAIL LIGHT, They are very scarce parts, You also wont get to the latch from there

If you have a speaker cutout above the rear seats you can try going through there, But getting to the latch, at that distance, With carpet in the way is going to be fun

Good luck bud
It seems to be a common problem then...
Yeah I've already searched for a r/side taillight in the past as mine is cracked, no luck :bang:

I am going to try through the speaker hole first before drilling behind the number plate but I guess that might be the only solution.

Thanks for the advice bud!! :hug:

smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

Mitch wrote:You are in for a hard time.

My Fox boot catch broke when I had it. It was a mission to get the boot lid open. There's a solid chunk of metal behind the seats so that is a no go. I went through the speaker holes and used a stiff wire to push the catch on my lock. Your situation is a bit different so I don't know if pushing the catch will even help. A piece of my catch has broken off.

I could find a replacement so I ended up fitting a solenoid boot release and shave the boot lid.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info bud! I must be honest I have been considering doing the same thing even before this sh1t lol

smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

VAG Fan wrote:@ sly dub:
The more I think about it, the more I realise that the cross member I've seen was the one on my Audi, not on my Fox. This was when I re-wired the power supply to the in-tank fuel pump with a relay from the battery under the rear seat. My thought was, to my knowledge there is a cross member in the Fox, but for all we know it may have some holes, i.e. it may not be a completely solid panel. I thought it may be worth the effort to try and remove the rear seat backrest, to see what's underneath. But the previous posters just answered that question. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

@ G-spot: what carpet are you referring to? The piece between the tail lights?
I can understand bud no stress :hug:
Thanks again for your help!

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yup solid metal firewall behind the r ar seat. That is a total no go unless you cut it out. Take a speaker out first and see if you can see anything about whatbwent wrong with the latch before going to other extremes.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

panic-mechanic wrote:Yup solid metal firewall behind the r ar seat. That is a total no go unless you cut it out. Take a speaker out first and see if you can see anything about whatbwent wrong with the latch before going to other extremes.
Totally agreed thanx panic!
I did notice the button/latch moving slightly skew but didn't click to check the screws holding it in. So after this discussion I am surmising the one screw has come loose resulting in the button/latch shifting and not able to pull the latch releasing it.

Will update after I try through the speaker hole tonight.

VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Mitch, I'd be very interested in some details of that solenoid set-up! Any pictures? When I was still using my Fox daily, I considered fitting a cable release (we have daily boot inspections at my workplace, but I like to keep the boot locked with any valuables inside), and a solenoid would be even more convenient...
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

VAG Fan wrote:Mitch, I'd be very interested in some details of that solenoid set-up! Any pictures? When I was still using my Fox daily, I considered fitting a cable release (we have daily boot inspections at my workplace, but I like to keep the boot locked with any valuables inside), and a solenoid would be even more convenient...
:iagree:

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Sly_Dub wrote:Will update after I try through the speaker hole tonight.
In for updates............ :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: goodluck OP :hug:
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

Success!! Took out both rear speakers, went in from r/side with a wire and used ny camera and flash to see what was going on through the l/side speaker hole.
Hooked the wire at the bootlock and lifted up and the boot popped open!

Attached is the cause of the problem, the one screw did not have a washer so it pushed right through.
So i fitted larger washers in the hopes to prevent it happening again...ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

success!!! glad it was as simple as that and that you are sorted now.
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
Stripes
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Model: 1989 1600A/T FOX

Post by Stripes »

Man that was a close call... In the interest of the right rear tail light. I have one taht looks as if the reflector went bust on the inside, but no cracks....
Current:
1989 1600 Old Man's Transmision(Automatic) VW FOX: 57mm SAC free-flow, Mp9 Airbox and cone filter adaptor, G-Cam and Vernier Pulley, Relayed Headlights, Mk1 GTi mags, CitiRox Wheelnut-caps
and CitiRox centrecaps.

http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=151632

Ex:
1976 1600SP Beetle(Sold): Believe me, it was modded and kicked ass

1991 Ford Bantam 1600(Sold): Lightly modded
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

G-spot wrote:success!!! glad it was as simple as that and that you are sorted now.
Thanx man!!

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Great success !!! :troll:
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

Howie-WP wrote:Great success !!! :troll:
:lol: :lol: :troll:

VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Shot, well done!

By the looks of your last pic, the plastic surround of the lock cylinder has perished and fallen out, as it has on our Fox. (In your pic one can see daylight around the lock cylinder.) Ours tends to leak rain water in that spot... And apparently that plastic surround is no longer available. Any fixes you have considered?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
smashedmink
Committee Member

Post by smashedmink »

VAG Fan wrote:Shot, well done!

By the looks of your last pic, the plastic surround of the lock cylinder has perished and fallen out, as it has on our Fox. (In your pic one can see daylight around the lock cylinder.) Ours tends to leak rain water in that spot... And apparently that plastic surround is no longer available. Any fixes you have considered?
Thanx bud!

When i bought the car about half of that seal remained and one day it was just gone...

I also have an issue with rain water and when washing the car, so ive been meaning to visit pro-auto rubber to get a seal made up.