mk1 piston rings

wesley ZA
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

mk1 piston rings

Post by wesley ZA »

oky

this type of work got me really worried as i have never in my life replaced a car's piston rings,
since i probably have to do this with my golf im scared shitless,

i have browsed other topics with the same kind of work done and with the "run in procedure", also the honing part is also freaking me out.

as some of you read my other topics, i had to change the head gasket, drove it for a week and the smoking gor worse, found out theres oil in no 4 cylinder, so car is back in garage in progress getting stripped again to see what went wrong, im hoping its nothing serious,

But the oil had to come from somewhere, i suspect the new gasket failed, i may have done something wrong or missed something, so just to be safe im thinking of changing the rings, the bore is shiny but no play on pistons so im not sure if its needed, my car pulls nice and has power so dont know if its needed to be changed (hope not), my gut says no... so im unsure what to do with the pistons.
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Re: mk1 piston rings

Post by wesley ZA »

Oh and there is no ridge whatsoever...
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

whats the mileage on the motor.....also what colour smoke was it, only on take off, every gear change etc or only when you pull the car to a high rpm
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Car did about less than 100k since last ring change, smoke was blue.... on start up and idle no smoke. Only some drops of water, smoke started on acceleration and gear changes... like I said no 4 piston had a kak load of oil on top... no 3 spark plug had antifreeze on it... there was no power loss while driving... car still pulled like a beast while it was smoking, so thats why I dont think I should be scracthing where it doesnt itch yet
WeirdSteam
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI

Post by WeirdSteam »

What Headgasket did you use? Metal or other? did you check the Block with a straight edge when the head was off? are you sure the Gasket was fitted with the Top facing up?
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Used e-ring gasket from goldwagen... metal... rightway up... didnt check block tho
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

found the problem, gasket failure, had a closer look and saw the gasket is crooked on the block, it moved about 1 - 1.5mm right so it cant do its job like that, looks like the piston also slapped piece of the gasket off, found it on top of the piston..... didnt notice the move while installing the head.

will be more careful this time, thats how you learn i suppose.
Tatouch
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Make: Nissan
Car Model: Almera 1.6->1.8i with vct

Post by Tatouch »

Sorry for the hijack but can someone please advise if its necessary to change the cylinder head bolts when changing the head gasket. This is also for a citi golf. If so, can i get them from the local bolt and nut? Thanks
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Yes change the bolts... goldwagen sells them
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Paid R70 for all 10
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Not available at local bolt and nut shop no. But yes goldwagen sells a kit.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

wesley ZA wrote:found the problem, gasket failure, had a closer look and saw the gasket is crooked on the block, it moved about 1 - 1.5mm right so it cant do its job like that, looks like the piston also slapped piece of the gasket off, found it on top of the piston..... didnt notice the move while installing the head.

will be more careful this time, thats how you learn i suppose.
block supposed to have 2 dowels present which actually keeps the head gasket in place, make sure gasket is sitting over the dowels and in place before placing head over it
markfish888
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: B7A4 -JETTA Mk2
Membership No: 1787

Post by markfish888 »

Correct torque values & sequence.

FOR M12 BOLTS (12mm)
1st sequence: 40Nm
2nd sequence: 60Nm
3rd sequence: 90 degrees (1/4 turn )
4th sequence 90 degrees( 1/4 turn)

start between cyl 2 & 3, work diagonally across( front to back), working outwards
MK2's dont die, they just get faster!!

Duncan96
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 months

Post by Duncan96 »

Guys what causes oil to get ontip of the piston?