VW Caravelle engine conversion

Frostee
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

VW Caravelle engine conversion

Post by Frostee »

Hi all. I hope I can ask this question here.
I want to buy a VW Caravelle 1993-1998. I want to use this Caravelle to tow my caravan with, but dont want the petrol engines. Prefer diesel for the torque etc. Which diesel engine will you guys say will work. I'm currently towing with a Chev Cruze 2.0 diesel, tows like a dream, but we want to sell that one for the Caravelle.
I will really appreciate all of your input
Thanx
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Membership No: 3103

Re: VW Caravelle engine conversion

Post by Jet Li »

I think you should also give a T4 Caravelle a thought since its a tdi and priced the same as the the T3 Caravelle this days.
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by MrMazda »

Jet Li wrote:I think you should also give a T4 Caravelle a thought since its a tdi and priced the same as the the T3 Caravelle this days.
Is the T4 not FWD, not ideal for towing in my humble opinion.
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

MrMazda wrote:
Jet Li wrote:I think you should also give a T4 Caravelle a thought since its a tdi and priced the same as the the T3 Caravelle this days.
Is the T4 not FWD, not ideal for towing in my humble opinion.
Can you please elaborate?

T4 comes as FWD/AWD and any of two can tow a caravan without a problem.
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by ThatBloke »

I don't think they released the caravelle in diesel in those years in Sa?

That's also a rather old vehicle, most are going to be pretty clapped out by this stage?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Engine swapping in this situation will be a headache.

The 1.9tdi engine+gearbox from an audi should fit best taking into consideration its a longitudinal setup. But u would also need the wiring loom, ecu, etc.

The entire conversion will probably cost more than buying a running condition t4.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

2.6i 5 cylinder T3 bus will tow a caravan and a boat at the same time. Those motors have massive torque. The gearbox is also setup with towing in mind with a very short ratio 1st gear specifically for pulling away with a load. Driving normally I almost never use 1st gear.

The belief that a T3 is not a good vehicle for towing is false.

The T4 is a continuation of the same design philosophy and any variant will be adequate for your purposes. If your under powered, over geared Chevrolet Cruze can pull the load, then a VW bus will do the job with greater ease.

END
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by MrMazda »

I have towed heavy trailers and Penta with FWD Mazda 626 / 6 traction becomes a problem in some situations, specially pull away on an incline. Other than that the 2.0l NA engines handled it well.
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

missioner wrote:2.6i 5 cylinder T3 bus will tow a caravan and a boat at the same time. Those motors have massive torque. The gearbox is also setup with towing in mind with a very short ratio 1st gear specifically for pulling away with a load. Driving normally I almost never use 1st gear.

The belief that a T3 is not a good vehicle for towing is false.

The T4 is a continuation of the same design philosophy and any variant will be adequate for your purposes. If your under powered, over geared Chevrolet Cruze can pull the load, then a VW bus will do the job with greater ease.

END
+1 for the 2.6i 5 cyl

Friends dad use to own one, It had a one of a kind sound with a cone filter and enough power to spin for days, very thirsty though

Agree with the others,a proper conversion is going to be costly ,

A T4 2.5 TDI with the red "I" would be your best option.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned