Captain
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti
Membership No: 2095

Assistance with Velociti Cluster

Post by Tashveer »

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is having a weird issue with his velo cluster.

The cluster reads normal at idle however, when he revs the car, the cluster rpm gauge would not move.

He bought the car as a shell and transplanted a 16v setup in there with Dictator Standard however, upon thinking the cluster is the issue, he swopped out working clusters from other cars and the issue is the same.

I am not to technically clued up in terms of wiring etc. but if you guys could provide some input and i will relay the message to him.

Thanks in advance.
1993 CTi ABF
2004 Citi Life 1.6i
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Assistance with Velociti Cluster

Post by PapaJo »

Getting some think around on the problem. This is a 16V motor with Dicktator standard and upon normal idle the RPM gauge on cluster reads correct. Clarify if wiring for the 16v is from a 4 window 16V distributor seeing that he is using Dicktator standard. Give some back ground how the wiring is done on the ignition trigger and wiring to and from cluster, coil type and its wiring.

Suppose car is driving and only having a problem with the cluster as from your post derived. This could possibly be a wiring mismatch. Where is the earth wires connected to and does he have the motor earth connected? I think the earthing is open (not connected at the correct point) and drawing current through other components causing this.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

and modernish citi had that boarnetz setup. i know nothing about it and basically usually leave the stock management there to take care of that.
But if no boardnetz if might just need a little more voltage. Have often come right by simply adding a 2k2 resistor to 12v to the rpm line and voila.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Tashveer
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti
Membership No: 2095

Post by Tashveer »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, he managed to get an auto electrician to have a look at it yesterday, one of the wires had been broken off, fixed this up and problem solved.

Sorry I did not give much info in terms of how it was wired as I am completely unsure about that. Thanks for the replies though. Much appreciated.
1993 CTi ABF
2004 Citi Life 1.6i
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Tashveer wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, he managed to get an auto electrician to have a look at it yesterday, one of the wires had been broken off, fixed this up and problem solved.

Sorry I did not give much info in terms of how it was wired as I am completely unsure about that. Thanks for the replies though. Much appreciated.
:thumbup: