Heat Gauge and Petrol Gauge not working,Velo Dash

Ettos
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Heat Gauge and Petrol Gauge not working,Velo Dash

Post by Ettos »

Hi,

I got a Velo Dash in my Caddy that had the old square dash in,everything is working on clock except Heat and Petrol gauges,I found the heat gauge wire under dash not connected,To which wire does it connect to? The Bakkie also doesn't have an injection fuel tank as it were converted from carb to FI. Please help as I'm just fixing it up to sell it for bigger bakkie. So I would like for it to be on point before selling it.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Heat Gauge and Petrol Gauge not working,Velo Dash

Post by PapaJo »

Ettos wrote:Hi,

I got a Velo Dash in my Caddy that had the old square dash in,everything is working on clock except Heat and Petrol gauges,I found the heat gauge wire under dash not connected,To which wire does it connect to? The Bakkie also doesn't have an injection fuel tank as it were converted from carb to FI. Please help as I'm just fixing it up to sell it for bigger bakkie. So I would like for it to be on point before selling it.
There would be a 4 pin plug in the region of no3 and 4 spark plug and have 4 wires. That plug in to the 4 pin water temperature sensor. Pin 1 (Brown; earth) & 3 (Yellow/red) is the temperature wire going to the dash indication. Those are the colours on mine. If you do not have the 4 pin temperature sensor installed and either the single pin mk1 Golf (connect blade to Yellow/red or mk2 2 pin temperature sensor connect one pin to engine ground and other pin to Yellow/red. NOTE that the resistance value of the mk1, mk2 and 4 pin temperature sensor are slightly different and then you will not get the correct reading on the dash. Best is to go to Goldwagen and buy the 4 pin sensor and housing and fit that on your head. Done and no issues.

Fuel gauge has a blue/grey wire that runs with the fuel pump power wire and the hand brake on wire in a small wire harness in the middle of the car between the seats or sometimes around the left inside of the car past the left front seat and then behind the front seats on the foot well. The fuel gauge wire then goes through a grommet hole towards the top of the fuel tank behind the right front seat. There will be a brown earth wire there too. To check the fuel gauge and make sure it is connected, you will need to drop the fuel tank to get access to that.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Heat Gauge and Petrol Gauge not working,Velo Dash

Post by panic-mechanic »

Stock caddy tank works fine for injection.
If after connecting the wires the gauges still don't work look for a black square device with three legs bolted to the back of the cluster going into pins on the printed circuit. It is a 5 volt regulator and when it fails those two guages will be dead. You can buy a replacement at anybdecent electronics shop.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.