Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf MK5 2.0 TFSi

Difference Between mk5 GTi and 2.0 FSI

Post by turbowheelchair »

Hi Guys

Soo. I smashed my Golf 5 gti.
Mechanically the car is fine, but thats where it ends. Insurance is not paying because i was speeding. now im left with a car im still paying off.

Anyways, i came across a Golf 5 2.0 FSi for a very good price.

My question to you guys is, Other than the motor, what else can swap between the GTI and the FSi to make it a "GTI"

I need some insight before actully buying the FSI.

TIA
Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Difference Between mk5 GTi and 2.0 FSI

Post by Jueshen »

not sure on the swap but i would think it can be done with a lot of swapping stuff over
how do they know you were speeding?
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Jueshen wrote:not sure on the swap but i would think it can be done with a lot of swapping stuff over
I wonder too, how do they know.
Maybe tracker....
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
turbowheelchair
Cadet

Jueshen wrote:not sure on the swap but i would think it can be done with a lot of swapping stuff over
They mesured the distance of the marks on the road, and the distance the car moved from the point of first impact,
also tracker records

i know there will be allot of stuff to swap over. suspension and brakes, motor gearbox,

things like the steering rack im not sure about.

i dont know how difficult it will be to change the cluster,

i just need to get some sort of idea of what i will be getting myself into before dropping cash into this project
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

last time i questioned tracker / netstar / discovery they said they not allowed to use speed stats from tracker for accidents
but then again all these combo insurance + tracker deals are done for a reason
its like having your medical aid and life policy with one company
they know your whole health history which boost your premiums eventually
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
turbowheelchair
Cadet

Jueshen wrote:last time i questioned tracker / netstar / discovery they said they not allowed to use speed stats from tracker for accidents
but then again all these combo insurance + tracker deals are done for a reason
its like having your medical aid and life policy with one company
they know your whole health history which boost your premiums eventually
When i agreed to be covered by the insurance company i agreed to provide all meterial evidence that could relate to a claim.

also with the damage to the car, its pretty obvious that i was going more that 60km/h
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

turbowheelchair wrote:Hi Guys

Soo. I smashed my Golf 5 gti.
Mechanically the car is fine, but thats where it ends
If i understand this correctly, the issue with your GTI 5 is that it is cosmetically damaged and un-fixable it its current state.

Have you made a list of what is damaged and how much it would cost you to fix?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
turbowheelchair
Cadet

the entire front end. all four doors, the roof has come down, airbags popped, the only body panal that is fine is the tailgate
i dont think its worth fixing the car, its badly smashed. the car hit a rock and then rolled over
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The basic shell is the same.
Bumpers, wiring looms, modules, interorior, suspension, tank, fuel controllers erc all else will differ,
So you will,strip it to a bare sheel and move everything else, that includes wiring looms, cluster, control modules. Fuse boxes etc. etc.
Ie you become the factory again.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
turbowheelchair
Cadet

panic-mechanic wrote:The basic shell is the same.
Bumpers, wiring looms, modules, interorior, suspension, tank, fuel controllers erc all else will differ,
So you will,strip it to a bare sheel and move everything else, that includes wiring looms, cluster, control modules. Fuse boxes etc. etc.
Ie you become the factory again.
some how I knew you will come through and shatter this little bit of hope I had.

it is appreciated though as this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

I still feel that a doner car will be cheaper than buying individual parts, all the work will be done at home so labour costs is a non issue.

I dont think i will get enough to settle the bank if i sell the car for parts, and i will still need to buy a car after that, so at the moment im kind of married to this smashed car.

what would you suggest i do cos i really dont know

thanks Panic
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If you do not account your hours that you work then sure it is cheaper. It might take quite a while and stripping two cars takes quite a bit of space.
Unless you do this full time you are likely in it for months to complete. Nowhere did I Say it can't or should not be done but it is a huge job. I basically did that with my very first gti. Bought a rotten with rust car and rebuilt it into a new body. It took me a year of weekends and that was a mk1.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

How does the finance house view the car being written off without the payout though? As their attached asset is basically scrap now. Perhaps find any other transverse 2.0T with a blown motor/gearbox and swap over your working motor, then sell the parts. You will have to pay off the finance though, perhaps a vaseline personal loan.
Sabretooth Tiger
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sabretooth Tiger »

I would rather look for a car with a blown motor (Gti orA3 2.0t),as its less parts to transfer over and will be less time consuming.
The initial purchase price would be more, but then you can recoup some costs, by selling off parts you wont need. If the body damage is that extensive, you already in for bumpers lights etc, that you still need to purchase, to "build" your FSI into a GTI
Current:
2021 Polo Vivo 1.4 Trendline
2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T

Ex:
2014 VW Polo 1.2Tdi Bluemotion
2017 Tornado Red VW Jetta 1.6Tdi Comfortline DSG
2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T
2008 Hyundai Accent 1.6 3dr
2010 BMW 320d
2010 Mazda 3 2.0 Individual
1999 Nissan Sabre Gxi
2006 BMW 323i
2000 Opel Corsa Lite
2006 Ford Focus
1999 Nissan Sentra Gsi
1996 Toyota Conquest.
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

If you can do something like this... (Pimped from another discussion)
A guy I know bought a Golf 5 GTi with a broken engine for R25k, he had an overhauled motor sitting in his shop, fitted that and ended up with a very nice daily driver for less than R50k...
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
turbowheelchair
Cadet

I notified the bank, they dont seem to care as long as im paying my instalments.

I am looking for a GTI to just swap as little as possible but i came across the FSI for R40k and then i will still be able to sell the parts from there as well as the parts from the GTI that i dont swap. this FSI has the GTI bumpers so theres that and i was planning to just keep the halogen lights as the bulbs are cheaper and I actually prefer them to the Xenons

I did not think of an A3, but chances are that that will be even more pricey? can someone give me some advice as to which model i should look out for?

space is not an issue i have a big yard and an out building. the main problem is not having a car now. and i dont mind spending months stripping, atleast i will know how to put it back together. and save a buttload when compared to sending it in
turbowheelchair
Cadet

Torker wrote:If you can do something like this... (Pimped from another discussion)
A guy I know bought a Golf 5 GTi with a broken engine for R25k, he had an overhauled motor sitting in his shop, fitted that and ended up with a very nice daily driver for less than R50k...
this is EXACTLY what i want to do.
i cant find a GTI with a broken motor, any leads will be appreciated.
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

i know someone that had his a3 2.0t stolen, thieves popped the motor, vehicle was recovered ,engine stamped as stolen, car is sitting around doing nothing as he pays the bank off (also issues with insurance)
i did give him panics number to sell to when he is ready but if you want his number pm me.
car is in JHB
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

Just my 2c (I use to work for Vehicle Finance way way back, when it was still called BANKFIN)
We use to deal with cases like these,..I am just saying things could of changed but my 2c.

If you advised the bank that the vehicle is a write off and they still advise you need pay then there is something wrong with the Bank advisor,..chance are that you have TOP-UP cover on your account which you can then submit an ex gratia claim.

Top-Up cover also protects the back in instances like these where the insurance will not take liability to fix or settle the claim, but to cover the banks asset or side.

What will then now happen is the bank will transfer the account to there legal dept. and gather all info, the legal dept will handle this claim if it is possible, and then collect the car. Your name does not necessary have to be put on ITC if they collect the car, but the bank will first try to get their money from policies that exist etc. then sell the salvage,..put the sold amount against the outstanding amount and you will then need pay the account finish as it will be now at legal (arrangements). Having your account at legal does also not mean you have a bad name but that you have an arrangement to settle the outstanding due to insurance not paid.

Now with all that said,..DO NOT BUY A FSI AND TRY TO MOVE EVERYTHING ACROSS NOW TO GET YOUR GTi SORTED!

As some say, look for a GTi that is sold for STRIP, or Spares or one with a Blown motor or slight damage that can be repaired even if the car does not have a motor. You have a motor so once donation is complete you would need register car anyway. Drive around areas (CO-LOURED Places...lol I am a coloured) and ask around in back yard machenic repair shops. I am sure you wil find something. Take your time you have only but time anyway since you still need pay bank.

My 2c
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
turbowheelchair
Cadet

Hi Camo

your 2c is appreciated, unfortunatly I did not take shortfall cover, I got ther car for less than it was worth so I did not think i will need it.
personally I would prefer if the bank did not sell the car to cover the costs because I will still be laible for all their fees, and im sure I can get more if I strip it for parts,

Ive pretty much given up on the FSI idea after all the responses here, im looking out for a Audi A3 or TT, Passat, Jetta or a GTi
definitly not rushing into anything,

I will talk to the mechanics as well. ive so far just been prowling the interwebs.

I feel that i have a little bit more direction after asking on the forum,

hopefully i can get my sh!t together soon
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

I know of a 5GTi that some laaitjie sniffed thru his nose,..will try get details about the car over the weekend. It was never in a prang but I know it has been stripped thru the nose and standing in a back yard somewhere in PALM RIDGE.

Will look out for you,..PERSONALLY TRY GET A G5 & take time and sort your car!...buy new where you can or second hand parts,..will beome a lekke project. Then sell once sorted
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Wow Camo
You have said a mouthful, great stuff.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
turbowheelchair
Cadet

Camo wrote:I know of a 5GTi that some laaitjie sniffed thru his nose,..will try get details about the car over the weekend. It was never in a prang but I know it has been stripped thru the nose and standing in a back yard somewhere in PALM RIDGE.

Will look out for you,..PERSONALLY TRY GET A G5 & take time and sort your car!...buy new where you can or second hand parts,..will beome a lekke project. Then sell once sorted
Thank you Camo

it doesnt matter were the car is. i can always put it on a trailer and bring it down to Durbs.
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

Unobeat wrote:Wow Camo
You have said a mouthful, great stuff.
:lol: IS MOS!
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by s3 freak »

Know of one in Gauteng with a blown motor, last the guy was asking around 50k will check if its still available.
turbowheelchair
Cadet

i found one in jhb with the interior stripped out and no motor, gearbox and coling system. and i found a dash for 7k in durban,

now this is the first time I've had to phone around for parts so i dont know if these prices are good. but so far its the best ive found.

i also need to take into account the cost of towing.

but i will appreciate you cheking if its still available @s3 freak