Golf mk7 gti-common problems

Kamal
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Re: Golf mk7 gti-common problems

Post by Kamal »

Had 3 thermostats replaced in mine, hopefully sorted now.
Current

14 GTi 7 DSG (Mine)
10 A4 1.8T Ambition Multitronic (Hers)
06 Bantam 1.6i XLT (Mine)

Ex
09 GTi DSG (Mine) Sold
99 A3 1.8 T (Was mine then Hers) Sold
03 Fiesta RSi (Hers) Sold
89 MK2 GTi (SOLD)
96 CiVic VTEC (R.I.P) 121295KM
"02/05/15 - 04/07/24"
97 Ford Meteor 1.6i (SOLD)

MarkusB
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by MarkusB »

My 4 month old 6000km 7.5 has been at the dealership the whole week, until yesterday because the car plays Christmas lights with the high beam and the indicators and throws errors on the screen like it's going out of fashion. It's back there now cause they thought they had fixed it but they did not. It started up again at lunchtime and doesn't stop, whether the keys are in the ignition or not.

It's my 5th GTi over the years and by far the worst one I've ever had.

:deadhorse:
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Has anyone owning a GTI ever encountered this and how was it resolved. The error appears once in a while and disapears within seconds.

Hope the pic is visible as I had to take it quickly before the error message disappears Image
MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
mueneni12
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Post by mueneni12 »

Would be interested to know if these issues extend to the R 7.5?
Tommy
Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
Occasional: 2014 Audi A8 V8 aka The Boat
Ego-stroker: 2007 Touareg V10
Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
Truck: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC aka The Beast
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

Ok car went in and it's a common known issue and VW are very much aware of it. Just showed them the pic and they just confirmed what's on the internet

The issue is with the gear selector. Was replaced without any hustle or question asked from the dealer

My concern is why VW didn't make a recall if they so clued up about it or they just waiting for warranties to expire

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

guys guys guys. Get off this recall this and recall that stories. Recalls are ONLY EVER for a massive safety issue. So if the brakes are going to fail the next time you press it or the throttle is going to get stuck or your safety belt disengage or your airbag going to kill you due to a fault.
recall are not ever , ever, ever employed for things that go wrong / wear that has no risk to life and limb.
Simply because something fails at certain intervals and it's common does not warrant a product recall.
They will sometimes implement a revision / improvement and then when it fails the new part is fitted. So that letter you often see behind a part number - that often implies a running change and usually signifies and improved product.
tyres wear out. should they now be recalled because of that?. Same here - some parts have wear and thus a limited lifespan.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

panic-mechanic wrote:guys guys guys. Get off this recall this and recall that stories. Recalls are ONLY EVER for a massive safety issue. So if the brakes are going to fail the next time you press it or the throttle is going to get stuck or your safety belt disengage or your airbag going to kill you due to a fault.
recall are not ever , ever, ever employed for things that go wrong / wear that has no risk to life and limb.
Simply because something fails at certain intervals and it's common does not warrant a product recall.
They will sometimes implement a revision / improvement and then when it fails the new part is fitted. So that letter you often see behind a part number - that often implies a running change and usually signifies and improved product.
tyres wear out. should they now be recalled because of that?. Same here - some parts have wear and thus a limited lifespan.
Panic thanks for clarity on the recall

I was of the view that if something is well known to be not functioning 100% in certain model or batch, whether it will cause serious damage/harm or not should warrant a recall even if the user is not aware of the problem

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

So that is what the warranty period is for. If it breaks they fix it for free. After the warranty period is over it is for your account, common or know to fail at regular intervals or not.
NO manufacturer of ANY product will survive if they have to get every item ever sold back to fix for free if a few of them shows a defect.
Even the aircraft industry that is probaly the most regulated in the world won't recall airplanes for a defect. They send out new parts which you have to fit at your cost.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Yup, same here. One or two rattles, sunroof is quite noisy after standing in the sun and sunvisor rattle. Will get all sorted at the next service. If I have to compare to my previous Mk5 and 6's the Mk7 is vastly improved.... to point out a rattle as an issue is testamanet to the car.
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i