Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Replacement battery. Mk6 GTI

Post by Mitch »

My car refuses to start. Luckily it was when I went into a garage shop near home so I'm safely off the road. When I turn key it just clicks. Paired with some tired starts over the past few weeks I assume it's the battery, which is the original.

I'm waiting for my wife to come with cables so I can get the car home. I'm going to get the battery replaced in the morning.

VW wants R3500 for the OEM battery. This is significantly more than what battery centre quoted (R1200 to R1500) for replacements.

Has anyone here changed their battery and if so,what size and brand?
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Re: Replacement battery. Mk6 GTI

Post by B_rad »

Mitch, I just went through this whole debacle. I'd recommend you stick with an OEM battery. These cars have battery management systems and require you to 'code' the new battery when you install it. If you buy an aftermarket battery (even a Varta etc from Batterycentre) it won't last as long.
I stand to be corrected but that looks like the price for the battery plus installation and coding.
My recommendation would be to buy the battery and fit yourself, and ask a mate to code via VCDS. It's very simple, plenty guides online.

I paid R2250 for my battery (after 10% discount). Audi wanted R1200 for fitment and coding so i did it myself rather.
Life160
Captain
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Life160 »

I got a VW eco battery for 1.8k.
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
Citi Life 01' - 1.6i 8v :(
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Replacement battery. Mk6 GTI

Post by Belix »

I'm on my third oem battery after 6 years, luckily replaced under maintenance plan, so the oem ones are not so great either!

I can't see how a battery with only the standard connections could be programmed. Car will lose some memory settings like windows and steering position, but turning wheel full right and left, and putting windows all the way up, holdng, and all the way down and holding should sort that out.
Last edited by Belix on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

Think my Varta is lasting longer than the original OEM.
Didn't code anything when it was changed.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by s3 freak »

First time hearing about coding a battery...

Economy batteries are around 1.3k from VW,

On my G7, Original battery lasted me 2 years and a few months, and replaced with economy range around July last year which died on me last month, which I replaced with economy again...
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by NHB_R »

Time to start cycling again buddy
Mitch
Colonel

Post by Mitch »

My car is almost 5 years old and this is the original battery. I didn't come across coding requirements when searching the web. I'll check now. I need to go get the battery tomorrow morning.
Current:

Past:
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

B_rad wrote:Mitch, I just went through this whole debacle. I'd recommend you stick with an OEM battery. These cars have battery management systems and require you to 'code' the new battery when you install it. If you buy an aftermarket battery (even a Varta etc from Batterycentre) it won't last as long.
I stand to be corrected but that looks like the price for the battery plus installation and coding.
My recommendation would be to buy the battery and fit yourself, and ask a mate to code via VCDS. It's very simple, plenty guides online.

I paid R2250 for my battery (after 10% discount). Audi wanted R1200 for fitment and coding so i did it myself rather.
What is an OEM battery? The Varta you buy from VW/Audi with a VW/Audi sticker on it?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

I had an OEM Exide. Now I have an OEM Varta.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by NHB_R »

Mitch
Colonel

Post by Mitch »

NHB_R wrote:Perhaps this will help:

https://themoover.wordpress.com/2015/01 ... vi-vw-gti/
Thanks. I found this last night. At VW now. Getting the economy battery. 0 rice the same as non vw branded batteries at battery centre.
Current:

Past:
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
K.J
Cadet
Car Model: MK6 GTI

Post by K.J »

Programming battery?
More info on this please
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

Neuk wrote:
B_rad wrote:Mitch, I just went through this whole debacle. I'd recommend you stick with an OEM battery. These cars have battery management systems and require you to 'code' the new battery when you install it. If you buy an aftermarket battery (even a Varta etc from Batterycentre) it won't last as long.

What is an OEM battery? The Varta you buy from VW/Audi with a VW/Audi sticker on it?
Yes, also a specific size which is not readily available from Varta agents such as the branch you suggested last time we had this discussion.
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

For those that can't use the search function and/or Google, some light reading.

https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=202468
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

B_rad wrote:
Neuk wrote:

Yes, also a specific size which is not readily available from Varta agents such as the branch you suggested last time we had this discussion.
What size did you need for your A3? I never had any issues getting replacement batteries from Varta but that branch I mentioned has now closed.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

I used 'code' in inverted commas.

When you get a new battery you use VCDS to input the serial number into adaption. This allows the car to optimize the charge on the battery, which you can understand will differ for an old battery to a new one.
By inputting the serial number into adaption on vcds, the management system recognizes that there is a brand new battery and adapts the charge accordingly.
If you fit a battery not spec'd by VW/Audi ('non-oem' for lack of a better phrase), adaption might not recognise the code and therefore not alter the charge accordingly, resulting in your battery going flat/not lasting long enough.

Just my 2c from my experience. I'd rather shell out a few hundred rand more for something that was designed to work for my car than nickle and dime on a replacement battery.

In addition, when i sent Deltec and another Varta distributor a picture of my battery, they couldn't find an exact match on their system. They had one 'nearest to' for R300 cheaper. So I rather paid full price and bought the proper thing.

Use it, don't use it.
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

Neuk wrote:
B_rad wrote:
Neuk wrote:

What size did you need for your A3? I never had any issues getting replacement batteries from Varta but that branch I mentioned has now closed.
I couldn't find the size of my battery so they requested I send a picture. When I did, they said they weren't able to match that battery to any available from them.

Also remember, you haven't yet tried replacing a battery on your R. New car batteries are vastly different from your wagon etc, where straight replacements were readily available.

I also just used to purchase replacements from battery centre etc for my Polo but the A3 battery is different.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

B_rad wrote:I couldn't find the size of my battery so they requested I send a picture. When I did, they said they weren't able to match that battery to any available from them.

Also remember, you haven't yet tried replacing a battery on your R. New car batteries are vastly different from your wagon etc, where straight replacements were readily available.

I also just used to purchase replacements from battery centre etc for my Polo but the A3 battery is different.
Nothing in the user manual regarding size or at least the specs like capacity, CCA and dimensions?

In what way are new car batteries vastly different from a car like my Wagon? Sure, new batteries are sealed and the more expensive ones use more expensive exotic materials but I can't think of anything that is so vastly different.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

I would pay the money and get a OEM Varta... there is a reason why they are pricey.. they work and they do so for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Le Clue wrote:I would pay the money and get a OEM Varta...
There are a number of OEM suppliers and this applies to batteries as well.
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Howie-WP wrote:
Le Clue wrote:I would pay the money and get a OEM Varta...
There are a number of OEM suppliers and this applies to batteries as well.
Yes, reason why I stated OEM VARTA.

Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

I'm not sure if this will apply to MK6 batteries, but I've found this out being forced to replace the battery on my MK7 today - the MK7 has a battery control module which monitors battery voltage, charge, temp ect... and has reference parameters programmed in the ECU, which you would need to change (VCDS 'coding') if replacing the battery with different characteristics. For example, the OE battery in the MK7 GTI is a 096 size 69Ah with 680CCA, and 'suitable replacement' batteries (Varta/Atlasbx/Willard) are usually 652 size, 70Ah with 760CCA. Also be aware that there are 3 basic battery types which may have similar specs ito Ah and CCA rating, but can handle different charge cycles, temps ect. I got a quote for a 'normal' Willard 652 70Ah battery for about R1k, but the MK7 needs either EFB or AGM type, specifically for the start/stop and charge cycling. Varta S5 silverdynamic AGM 70Ah 760CCA costs ~R3,5k but the Varta Bluedynamic EFB 70Ah 650CCA costs ~R1k less. I've been quoted R2.3k for the AtlasBX AGM, which is about R600 cheaper than what VW have quoted for a replacement EFB type. Replacing it with the wrong type of battery (including economy VW batteries) may not damage the car electronics, but you'll be replacing it more regularly (probably only last a year each time) because it will probably not be charged properly and cannot handle the frequent charge cycles and charge voltage from the energy recuperation tech - MK7 should only use EFB or AGM type, not sure about MK6 though. My 2c worth, found useful info at:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
BlackoutVXD
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 5 months
Car Make: Opel
Car Model: VXD
Membership No: 3003

Post by BlackoutVXD »

Current:06 Astra H VXD

Built not Bought
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Beeno wrote:I'm not sure if this will apply to MK6 batteries, but I've found this out being forced to replace the battery on my MK7 today - the MK7 has a battery control module which monitors battery voltage, charge, temp ect... and has reference parameters programmed in the ECU, which you would need to change (VCDS 'coding') if replacing the battery with different characteristics. For example, the OE battery in the MK7 GTI is a 096 size 69Ah with 680CCA, and 'suitable replacement' batteries (Varta/Atlasbx/Willard) are usually 652 size, 70Ah with 760CCA. Also be aware that there are 3 basic battery types which may have similar specs ito Ah and CCA rating, but can handle different charge cycles, temps ect. I got a quote for a 'normal' Willard 652 70Ah battery for about R1k, but the MK7 needs either EFB or AGM type, specifically for the start/stop and charge cycling. Varta S5 silverdynamic AGM 70Ah 760CCA costs ~R3,5k but the Varta Bluedynamic EFB 70Ah 650CCA costs ~R1k less. I've been quoted R2.3k for the AtlasBX AGM, which is about R600 cheaper than what VW have quoted for a replacement EFB type. Replacing it with the wrong type of battery (including economy VW batteries) may not damage the car electronics, but you'll be replacing it more regularly (probably only last a year each time) because it will probably not be charged properly and cannot handle the frequent charge cycles and charge voltage from the energy recuperation tech - MK7 should only use EFB or AGM type, not sure about MK6 though. My 2c worth, found useful info at:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926
Thanks for the information, I think this probably answers what I asked @B_rad earlier.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage: