Replacement battery. Mk6 GTI

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: Replacement battery. Mk6 GTI

Post by Howie-WP »

Neuk wrote:Thanks for the information, I think this probably answers what I asked @B_rad earlier.
The stop start is a fake cost saving process (less fuel) as your extra costs with regard battery and other bits end up more expensive. Some cars even have 2 bats (one used by stop start, other normal) Makes sense that it needs a more expensive battery....
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Howie-WP wrote:
Neuk wrote:Thanks for the information, I think this probably answers what I asked @B_rad earlier.
The stop start is a fake cost saving process (less fuel) as your extra costs with regard battery and other bits end up more expensive. Some cars even have 2 bats (one used by stop start, other normal) Makes sense that it needs a more expensive battery....
@senna has permanently deactivated the annoying stop/start function on my car. Good riddance...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Neuk wrote:@senna has permanently deactivated the annoying stop/start function on my car. Good riddance...
I really think that there seems to be a increase in "new" tech that is a case of engineering for the sake of engineering. Stop Start, the stupid regen charging in some cars using braking to charge instead of alternator, keyless entry and so on. Creates more system complications that what the process is worth. Also makes owning a car out of warranty more of a lottery wrt maintenance costs.
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Neuk wrote:
Howie-WP wrote:
@senna has permanently deactivated the annoying stop/start function on my car. Good riddance...
It's a massive irritation for me too, 1st thing I switch off when driving a more modern car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Howie-WP wrote:
Neuk wrote:@senna has permanently deactivated the annoying stop/start function on my car. Good riddance...
I really think that there seems to be a increase in "new" tech that is a case of engineering for the sake of engineering. Stop Start, the stupid regen charging in some cars using braking to charge instead of alternator, keyless entry and so on. Creates more system complications that what the process is worth. Also makes owning a car out of warranty more of a lottery wrt maintenance costs.
Don't forget sales as well, more techy **** means more average buyers going googly eyed at crap and more cars are sold :crazy:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Le Clue wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Howie-WP wrote:
It's a massive irritation for me too, 1st thing I switch off when driving a more modern car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And Hill Hold, another annoying feature I never use :twisted:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by s3 freak »

B_rad wrote:I used 'code' in inverted commas.

When you get a new battery you use VCDS to input the serial number into adaption. This allows the car to optimize the charge on the battery, which you can understand will differ for an old battery to a new one.
By inputting the serial number into adaption on vcds, the management system recognizes that there is a brand new battery and adapts the charge accordingly.
If you fit a battery not spec'd by VW/Audi ('non-oem' for lack of a better phrase), adaption might not recognise the code and therefore not alter the charge accordingly, resulting in your battery going flat/not lasting long enough.

Just my 2c from my experience. I'd rather shell out a few hundred rand more for something that was designed to work for my car than nickle and dime on a replacement battery.

In addition, when i sent Deltec and another Varta distributor a picture of my battery, they couldn't find an exact match on their system. They had one 'nearest to' for R300 cheaper. So I rather paid full price and bought the proper thing.

Use it, don't use it.

Can you forward me the link for this? As I would like to read up on this... My Google searches cannot find it :noob:
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

s3 freak wrote:

When you get a new battery you use VCDS to input the serial number into adaption. This allows the car to optimize the charge on the battery, which you can understand will differ for an old battery to a new one.
By inputting the serial number into adaption on vcds, the management system recognizes that there is a brand new battery and adapts the charge accordingly.
If you fit a battery not spec'd by VW/Audi ('non-oem' for lack of a better phrase), adaption might not recognise the code and therefore not alter the charge accordingly, resulting in your battery going flat/not lasting long enough.

Just my 2c from my experience. I'd rather shell out a few hundred rand more for something that was designed to work for my car than nickle and dime on a replacement battery.

In addition, when i sent Deltec and another Varta distributor a picture of my battery, they couldn't find an exact match on their system. They had one 'nearest to' for R300 cheaper. So I rather paid full price and bought the proper thing.

Use it, don't use it.

Can you forward me the link for this? As I would like to read up on this... My Google searches cannot find it :noob:
Sure, no problem bud.
I used a combination of videos and forums to find my way around the adaption.

Some links for further reading:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ne ... ed.203475/

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... eplacement
Works pretty much as described in both threads.

Go to the battery regulation module, input the serial number and bobs your uncle. If it doesn't have the right serial number it eill continually think the battery is flat
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

the Silver Dynamic AGM 570 901 076 is a closer match to OE battery for MK7, that was what I mentioned in my post which costs ~R3,5k. I'm not sure what the specs are for MK6
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

B_rad wrote:
s3 freak wrote:

Use it, don't use it.

Sure, no problem bud.
I used a combination of videos and forums to find my way around the adaption.

Some links for further reading:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ne ... ed.203475/

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... eplacement
Works pretty much as described in both threads.

Go to the battery regulation module, input the serial number and bobs your uncle. If it doesn't have the right serial number it eill continually think the battery is flat
Apparently it's not just the serial number you need to increment source: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926 ):
VCDS coding required:-
From the Main screen:-
Select Control Module [Select]
[19-CAN Gateway]
Advanced Functions screen:-
[Adaptions-10]
New value choice screen:-
Change the following four channels, inputting the relevant data about the new battery.
IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity,
IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology,
IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer,
IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number,

Battery BEM codes are now redundant with the above separate channels. The most important channels are, Rated battery capacity, Battery technology, & Battery Serial Number. For the Battery Serial Number, just change one digit of the old one. This channel tells the BCM that a new battery has been installed & to relearn the new battery & forget any “learnt values” for the old battery!
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

Afaik with my older A3 that was necessary but I should maybe have checked that out. I just did what the videos showed.
I should add that an Audi tech brought this info to light and told me what they do when (but not how they do it) my battery died at Audi and they had to help me start. If he hadn't told me about it I would probably never have known
Senna
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 4 months
Car Make: VW,BMW
Car Model: MK5 GTi/CrossCaddy/325iS
Membership No: 3101

Post by Senna »

Id say get a Bosch Battery ive had one in my 325IS since 2009 and it hasnt given up the ghost yet.Its been "abused" by going flat(the car doing 1000kms a year) being over charged for days on end with my old trickle charger and its still 100%.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Howie-WP wrote:
Totally agree

I was actually thinking about this the other day, that what kind of bank balance will one have to have to afford these cars out of warranty with over 150 000km on the clock cause they are so computer controlled.

For example Golf 5 gti have proven to be very reliable as Camo's one is on 270 000km with no many issues just normal services.

@Neuk- I thought the hill hold (assist) thing works work for one not to loose their grip on a hill before pulling away.

Send from my SM-Umsotho via Tapatalk
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

On the subject of batteries. Is it considered fair service life if the battery on our 2012 Jetta is dead?
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Unobeat wrote:@Neuk- I thought the hill hold (assist) thing works work for one not to loose their grip on a hill before pulling away.
Nope, it is nothing more than the car activating the electronic hand brake when you come to a complete stop, whether it is uphill, downhill or on a flat surface.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Reegz wrote:On the subject of batteries. Is it considered fair service life if the battery on our 2012 Jetta is dead?
These days with all a cars electronics that is pretty fair.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

Neuk wrote:
Reegz wrote:On the subject of batteries. Is it considered fair service life if the battery on our 2012 Jetta is dead?
Cool beans. Thanks.

In terms of price, R3500? Am I being bent over?
---- Ex ----
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Reegz wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Cool beans. Thanks.

What battery and who is quoting that? It sounds par for the course for a dealership and should include coding if your car needs it. Where is @B-rad?
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

Neuk wrote:
Reegz wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Cool beans. Thanks.

What battery and who is quoting that? It sounds par for the course for a dealership and should include coding if your car needs it. Where is @B-rad?
OEM I guess. I just cold-called a dealership and asked for a price. Gave model and year number.
---- Ex ----
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Reegz wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Reegz wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Cool beans. Thanks.

OEM I guess. I just cold-called a dealership and asked for a price. Gave model and year number.
Standard pricing then.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

Roger. Will phone around though to get an idea.

Btw, what coding is required?
---- Ex ----
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

Read above...
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

Belix wrote:Read above...
Tee hee.

Sorry folks. Was being lazy. Got it now.
---- Ex ----
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

So the battery on the Jetta needed to be replaced this week. Fully covered by the plan. All in the job cost R3700.
---- Ex ----
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

Another OEM battery has died on me. Really not impressed with them, especially at R3700 odd. Perhaps they have all been Oxide, not VARTA, will have a good look and see what the current one is. Just over 2 years an OEM battery. So now to decide on whether to get economy replacement from VW or something else...