Golf 6 1.4 TSI 118kw misfire

Kgopotso
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Golf 6 1.4 TSI 118kw misfire

Post by Kgopotso »

Good day guys

Please assist me, I have a Golf 6 TSI 118kw, which has a misfire. The car idles okay when stationary, however as soon as I drive off about 100m it flashes the engine light and eventually lights up the EPC light (Check engine now). There is an immediate power loss as it starts flashing, the engine would shake abnormally. What could be the problem?

I have fitted new spark plugs.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Re: Golf 6 1.4 TSI 118kw misfire

Post by THANAS »

Coil pack, injector fault or low compression.
liv
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by liv »

Any smoking? And more or less what is your mileage? Piston failure is a common issue on these motors as they get higher mileage.
Current Rides:
2001 Polo GTI (6N2)
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)
hostility
↰ ↓ 4 ?
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: Anaconda
Car Model: 22"
Membership No: 1624

Post by hostility »

After buying my car (Also 1.4 Twincharged).

I did some research and came across this : Don't know if it will shed some light on the issue. Some testing on the Seat 1.4 tsi

As it stood, the engine itself ran hot due to its twincharged nature.
Pre detonation was therefore a problem. Fuel was ignited as a result of the heat build-up rather than the activation of the spark plug which, as was mentioned above, was not fully operational under high fuelling instances. So this was throwing timing out when booting the car after gentle driving/traffic situations, the spark plug was then firing without any fuel to ignite making the problem worse. This resulted in engine misfire and stutter until fuelling was increased enough to the extent that it was contaminating the spark plug as we discussed. The fuelling therefore went through cycles of being too lean and too rich.
There were further problems as a result of the ECU software. There were some floored parts of coding in the software that couldn’t control misfiring properly, which is so hard to believe when dealing with such a well established company such as VW. Revo again were the first to inform me of this parameter within the code.

Because the fuelling system is a 'demand' type, air quantity is measured and the correct amount of fuel is then supplied for the desired mixture(as set in the ECU). So when a misfire occurred, the ECU had no comprehension that the engine could possibly be running rich as a result of the misfire, only lean. It would then start increasing fuelling constantly expecting the misfiring to stop, to the point that the engine would completely stall and the cylinders were full of fuel.
This fuel would leak into the sump and mix with the oil which is detrimental to its function. This is another catalyst to the engine ware.
Revo found that cylinder 4 on the other hand, being the last cylinder to be supplied fuel along the common rail fuel supply, was starved of fuel. This is because the capacity of the fuelling system was max'd out; injectors 1, 2 and 3 were at full flow and there wasn’t sufficient fuel left to be able to supply injector 4. This lead to piston 4 being the one that failed in most cases.
SEAT released a new High Pressure Fuel Pump towards the end of 2011 as an attempt to stop the cylinder 4 starvation of fuel, which may or may not have helped, but didn’t address the cause of the problem.
Now when you have a serious bout of misfiring it is obvious, it is felt throughout the car and lights appear on the dash. The majority of the time, the engine would have invisible misfiring. When I logged the car, I found that misfiring was present constantly but not so bad as to be detectable. So this problem was going on to this degree undetected for a lot of cars, leading to piston 4 finally going.

Revo actually took it upon themselves to rewrite this part of the coding, which isn't the norm. Usually they just re configure boost pressure, Air-Fuel-Ratios, timing etc. After this was done people, including myself who were totally standard before, flocked to Revo just for a car that would work properly. It took SEAT several months after this to release software that would solve this problem but of course they still needed to abide by the new EU regulations which REVO didn’t.

In addition to the amended software, Revo also recommended a plug change to NGK Iridium BRK7EIX. This plug was shorter and colder so it sat out of the way of the flow of the injectors whilst reducing pre detonation. Again there is a disadvantage of these plugs. It is more difficult to create an efficient burn, especially on cold start-up. There will be a lumpy initial idle because the plug is on the edge of its operating temperature zone.
Kgopotso
Enlisted

Post by Kgopotso »

liv wrote:Any smoking? And more or less what is your mileage? Piston failure is a common issue on these motors as they get higher mileage.
There is no smoking, however I have changed all pistons and rings and fitted new spark plugs. The problem still continued. Piston 4 had a damage hence I changed all.
Kgopotso
Enlisted

Post by Kgopotso »

THANAS wrote:Coil pack, injector fault or low compression.

I think I could try replacing the coil park for a start, where can I buy them and do you know how much it could be
hostility
↰ ↓ 4 ?

Post by hostility »

Kgopotso wrote:
liv wrote:Any smoking? And more or less what is your mileage? Piston failure is a common issue on these motors as they get higher mileage.
There is no smoking, however I have changed all pistons and rings and fitted new spark plugs. The problem still continued. Piston 4 had a damage hence I changed all.
There we go.

Sort it out, speak to Tazo and load the Revo Stage1 1.4tsi file. :thumbup:
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

Sounds like these motors would see great benefit from a small multi-nozzle, water injection system.
Kgopotso
Enlisted

Post by Kgopotso »

hostility wrote:
Kgopotso wrote:
There we go.

Revo stage 1, how does it work, I have never used that?
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Kgopotso wrote:
hostility wrote:
Kgopotso wrote:
There we go.

Revo stage 1, how does it work, I have never used that?

Revo stage 1 is a software remap on the ECU.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Revo found that cylinder 4 on the other hand, being the last cylinder to be supplied fuel along the common rail fuel supply, was starved of fuel. This is because the capacity of the fuelling system was max'd out; injectors 1, 2 and 3 were at full flow and there wasn’t sufficient fuel left to be able to supply injector 4. This lead to piston 4 being the one that failed in most cases.

cough bullsh!t cough.....
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
hostility
↰ ↓ 4 ?

Post by hostility »

panic-mechanic wrote:

You obviously better suited to explain this rather than us noobs foraging international forums for an answer.
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Post by SemiColon »

panic-mechanic wrote:

??

I heard the same, though it was running lean via the map to be more eco.
That's why VW recalled and loaded newer (richer running) software so that the motor does not run is hot.

Owner's complained about consumption being higher after sw update.
八拾六
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

That one sentence contains so much bull that the rest is basically almost impossible to believe.
The system runs between 50 and a 100 bar of fuel pressure and is a closed loop manifold system which is what common rail describes.
So even IF the injectors are all standing open and the system pressure drops it will never supply less fuel to just the last one in the rail, they will ALL be starved the same amount.
and injectors fire in a continous cycle on these things in firing order sequence. so 1342134213421342 there isn't a break in between where it starts again at 1 and 4 is the last one. it's just plain stupid to even describe it in that way - cylinder 4 is the last one to receive fuel. bah.

that there are maybe issues with the map i won't argue but that whole description right there is pure unadulterated bulldust baffles brain waffle.

You will NEVER have a point of lower pressure in a system that is pressurised from one side with a regulator on the other side. Physics does not work that way.

And these management system are very clever, it knows when there is a missfire and will most of the time shut down the injector on that cylinder to protect the environment and the catalytic converter.
It's part of the

You know for a fact it can detect which cylinder missfires and it will definitly not just continously add more fuel to them all in an effort to suppress a single cylinder missfire.

He is also insinuating that the management system will simply allow detonation to occur unchecked in his first sentence. Eish.

And ALL modern managements that has a catalytic converter will go through cycles of lean - rich - lean - rich as that is how you make the catalytic converter work.
Also - really - it will let it get rich till the cylinder hydro locks and stall the car - honeslty?. Has any of you owning these cars had that? that will bend conrods man.

So read some stuff with a little bit of sense - don't just blindly believe all marketing bull.
I do think that they run them with too much compression and charging but that is my opinion only.
Anyways just for yourself go have a look at this.
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_296_d1.pdf
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

Is it always piston 4 thats failing?
Is this a frequent thing with these specific engines?
Personally I think VW didn't do proper testing before they released this kind of technology onto the market.
The first time I read twin charged motor (super charger and turbo), first thought that came into my mind was "Yip, I don't want that car in my garage". I can just imagine how complex the whole setup of this technology must be.

VW, stop making things so complicated. Visit Japan once in a while.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
mojekana
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by mojekana »

Good day guys

Please assist me, I have a Golf 6 TSI 118kw, which has a misfire. The car idles okay when stationary, however as soon as I drive off about 100m it flashes the engine light and eventually lights up the EPC light (Check engine now). There is an immediate power loss as it starts flashing, the engine would shake abnormally. What could be the problem?

I have fitted new spark plugs.
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

With all modern cars of today that are heavily computerized, you will have to get it onto a computer to check what errors it gives and start troubleshooting from there.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
Kgopotso
Enlisted

Post by Kgopotso »

Good day

The car problem has been sorted, Injector 2 was the problem, VW dealership checked the car and identified Injector 2 fault, It was changed last week, the car runs normal.

Thank you
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

These cars have no factory cooler right?
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
BoraMad
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: MK5 Jetta | MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Post by BoraMad »

Kyle wrote:These cars have no factory cooler right?
Yes they do, it has a factory FMC. Cools the charged pressure.

The 90kw 1.4TSI has a water cooled radiator. this cools the intake instead of charge pressure.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

I doubt that, there's no use in cooling intake air as all of the heat added is present in the charged air. Maybe a misunderstanding here.
BoraMad
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: MK5 Jetta | MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Post by BoraMad »

THANAS wrote:I doubt that, there's no use in cooling intake air as all of the heat added is present in the charged air. Maybe a misunderstanding here.

Ref : SSP 405 1.4l 90kW TSI Engine With Turbocharger

Page 7

Intake manifold with intercooler

The pressure and thus the intake air temperature rise due to the compression of the intake air from the
turbocharger. The charge air is cooled to ensure optimum cylinder filling. In the previous TSI engines with dualcharging,
this was performed via an air-to-air intercooler at the front end. An air-to-liquid intercooler is used on
the 1.4l 90kW TSI engine. An intercooler connected to the coolant system is built into the intake manifold.
The heated air flows through the intercooler and transfers a large part of its heat to the intercooler and the coolant.
The coolant is pumped to the intercooler by a coolant pump. It then flows back to the radiator for cooling at the
front end. The charge-air cooling system is a separate cooling system in which the turbocharger is also
incorporated.
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

BoraMad wrote:
THANAS wrote:I doubt that, there's no use in cooling intake air as all of the heat added is present in the charged air. Maybe a misunderstanding here.

Ref : SSP 405 1.4l 90kW TSI Engine With Turbocharger

Page 7

Intake manifold with intercooler

The pressure and thus the intake air temperature rise due to the compression of the intake air from the
turbocharger. The charge air is cooled to ensure optimum cylinder filling. In the previous TSI engines with dualcharging,
this was performed via an air-to-air intercooler at the front end. An air-to-liquid intercooler is used on
the 1.4l 90kW TSI engine. An intercooler connected to the coolant system is built into the intake manifold.
The heated air flows through the intercooler and transfers a large part of its heat to the intercooler and the coolant.
The coolant is pumped to the intercooler by a coolant pump. It then flows back to the radiator for cooling at the
front end. The charge-air cooling system is a separate cooling system in which the turbocharger is also
incorporated.
Was this take from ChrisFZ's thread by any chance?
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Mulovhedzinn
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Mulovhedzinn »

Hi guys, i have a problem with my Golf 6 tsi, i put a downpipe and now its starts misfires, what must i do
blaaislaai
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf 6 TSi

Post by blaaislaai »

Mulovhedzinn wrote:Hi guys, i have a problem with my Golf 6 tsi, i put a downpipe and now its starts misfires, what must i do
I have the same issue. Have done software as well, misfire when warming up after starting and sometimes when car is decellerating from 2000rpm to 1000rpm

Busy troubleshooting mine currently, should have feedback within a week or 2.

I have the 90kw model
Current:
2010 Golf 6 TSI 90kw Comfortline [Stage2 tuned]+[Forge DV Spacer]+[K&N induction] and downpipe
Power.. Not yet known
Ex:
2006 Honda Accord Type S [Unichip, CAI, 63mm dual exit zorst] 165fkw 240nm
1997 VW Jetta mk3 CLX [276cam, unichip, 52mm zorst,branch] 97kw 176nm fkw