2.0 8v Conversion on a Mk1

moto767
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 4 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk1 2.0l 8v

2.0 8v Conversion on a Mk1

Post by moto767 »

Hello everyone.. My name is Mohammed Taahir.. Mostly known as Moto... I'm from Joburg..
I have a 1980 golf mk1.. The car had a 1.8 carb motor but it was taken out before I bought it.. I bought a 2.0 8v motor and I wanna put it in the car but I dont know what must be changed on the car ? and what extras do I have to buy? :sad:
AyaThatGuy
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1 Golf

Re: 2.0 8v Conversion on a Mk1

Post by AyaThatGuy »

Welcome to the forum bro.
Do you plan to keep the car carb or change to FI? If you plan to use injectors then you can just search there are plenty threads of how to do the change and the bits that you will need.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Welcome to the forum

Good question by Aya.
Chucker on the forum is running his Citi 2L 8v motor on Carb and has a bigger cam in.
Some reading: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php ... conversion
http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php ... conversion
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

As unobeat said, I ran my old car off a carb and the power was good and fuel consumption was good, but FI is just so much better. Smoother, can be fine tuned alot more than a carb, more power
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Justin Jafta 26
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 4 months
Car Make: vw mk1 2l 8v
Car Model: mk1

Post by Justin Jafta 26 »

2l 8v fi best thing you can do by far, i have a mk1 92 model, recently put a 2l 8v motor running a ffz gearbox very very quick. wanna change the cam ( Maybe 288 ) any suggestions. or goodness, my name is Justin sorry guys :grin: :grin:
AyaThatGuy
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Model: MK1 Golf

Post by AyaThatGuy »

Justin Jafta 26 wrote:2l 8v fi best thing you can do by far, i have a mk1 92 model, recently put a 2l 8v motor running a ffz gearbox very very quick. wanna change the cam ( Maybe 288 ) any suggestions. or goodness, my name is Justin sorry guys :grin: :grin:
Are you using MP9 or aftermarket management? If MP9 then best stick to a 276 cam anything bigger than run management.
MR.C
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by MR.C »

moto767 wrote:Hello everyone.. My name is Mohammed Taahir.. Mostly known as Moto... I'm from Joburg..
I have a 1980 golf mk1.. The car had a 1.8 carb motor but it was taken out before I bought it.. I bought a 2.0 8v motor and I wanna put it in the car but I dont know what must be changed on the car ? and what extras do I have to buy? :sad:
Is your Mama YamaMoto ?
Sorry, temptation was too strong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Stoepie999
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Stoepie999 »

hi guys just wanna find out i have 2001 vw citi life 1.6i. The motor seezed after overheating 3 times. i want to get a 2.0 8v ady engin for the car what needs to be done to do the conversion.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

unbolt the 1.6. Service and change cambetl on the 2l. Bolt it in - possible get a bigger flywheel and clutch, get the mp9 mapped to a 2l box and off you go. there are 100's of build threads. Go look in the rides section.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Stoepie999
Enlisted

Post by Stoepie999 »

thanks so basic is that the flywheel and the clutch and the computer box that needs to be remaped
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Stoepie999 wrote:thanks so basic is that the flywheel and the clutch and the computer box that needs to be remaped
Yes yes yes
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Stoepie999
Enlisted

Post by Stoepie999 »

Hey guys

I bought a AGG engin putted it in know the engin dont start. Any ideas were i can start looking for any problems. I had n AFX fuel injection engin in before. And i putted the intake of the AFX on.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

the trigger wheel in the distrubutor only has one window. You need 4.
buy a complete dissy from GW.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Stoepie999
Enlisted

Post by Stoepie999 »

thank it starts and the engin is good but have the problem of the car now is that the the doesnt idle right so i unpluged the altitude sensor on the intake now it sounds beter but its still not fine . Fuel consumption is bad .
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

did you do a remap. Did you set the IGNITION timing right?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Mk1 on steroids
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by Mk1 on steroids »

Hi guys Moe here busy building my mk1 want to change my 1.8 carb motor to 2.0 8v where can i shop around? Also i want to sell the 1.8 carb motor of which i have 2 sitting in my garage any idea where i can sell them off? Need the funds to buy the 2.0L 8v
Mk1 on steroids
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by Mk1 on steroids »

Sorry forgot to mention im in jhb east rand
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Post by Greenz »

Mk1 on steroids wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm Hi guys Moe here busy building my mk1 want to change my 1.8 carb motor to 2.0 8v where can i shop around? Also i want to sell the 1.8 carb motor of which i have 2 sitting in my garage any idea where i can sell them off? Need the funds to buy the 2.0L 8v
Sell them privately.There is always somebody looking for vw engines.Facebook marketplace is useful.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
DUBWORXVW
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by DUBWORXVW »

hi guys i have a vw golf mk4 but boot dont lock and as for my doors the lock jumps up and down and while im driving the aarm goes on and then back off can any1 help in resolving this issue...thanks
theboy_Jippy
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 months

Post by theboy_Jippy »

Morning Gents, I'm new here. I would also like to know what changes need to be done In order to fit a 2.0L 8V FI. I'm trying to buy one because I'm running a 1.3 Carb.