2226cc
Major
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2017 Cross Polo 1.2 TSI
Membership No: missing

Citi engine mount insert direction

Post by 2226cc »

Is this insert the wrong way? Car is Citi golf 1.4. Just pulled my old engine mount and the insert is the other way round.

2017 VW Cross Polo 1.2TSI
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
1995 VW Chico 1.3 4-speed
1989 Audi 500 turbo (the end. finally.)
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Citi engine mount insert direction

Post by missioner »

Yup upside down. The bolt hole must be near the bottom of the mount
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
2226cc
Major

Post by 2226cc »

Thought so. At the tyre shop now to see of they can press it out, rotate 180 and press it back in. Otherwise it's back home, reassemble car, head out to goldwagen and get a replacement. And then ... *sigh* ... start again.
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
2226cc
Major

Post by 2226cc »

Ugh... 3 hours of patience while waiting for a really busy shop to work through their cars, only to wind up with the insert bending on the way out. Poop happens. Guess it's off to goldwagen in the morning.
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

Why don't you get the GW poly press-fit mounts, I use them on all my motors with no problems. You have to remove the insert (sounds like it was done already) then press the poly mount in. I do a dummy fit first to see if the motor sits level, then I pop the mount out again, coat it with silicone (Ultra Grey or similar) and press it back in. The silicone keeps it in place and prevent it from turning. You get one for the gearbox side mount as well.

Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
2226cc
Major

Post by 2226cc »

I had inserts in the original mounting to lift things up a bit. At one point I ran front poly mount. In neither case did my dental plan cover the damage.

Just bought the complete mount from GW, got it fitted on Saturday morning. Then did the gearbox mount. I hate that gearbox mount with the one bolt facing outwards and not clearing the body. Had to remove driver side shaft in order to lower the damn gearbox enough to get that bolt out. Have turned it around this time so I can get the thing out next time I need to without having to lower anything. It's unnerving going that low without a helping hand around.
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

2226cc wrote:I had inserts in the original mounting to lift things up a bit. At one point I ran front poly mount. In neither case did my dental plan cover the damage.

Just bought the complete mount from GW, got it fitted on Saturday morning. Then did the gearbox mount. I hate that gearbox mount with the one bolt facing outwards and not clearing the body. Had to remove driver side shaft in order to lower the damn gearbox enough to get that bolt out. Have turned it around this time so I can get the thing out next time I need to without having to lower anything. It's unnerving going that low without a helping hand around.
Ja I know what you saying. Its a massive PITA when the previous **** who had your box out puts the mounting bolts on from the wheel side of the gearbox. I always make a point of putting the bolts in such a way that I can remove them easily.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
2226cc
Major

Post by 2226cc »

I was thinking that that was the standard way they fitted them at the factory. Each bolt in from a different direction. I've never had that gearbox out and the car was bought from McCarthy on very low mileage. Just probably another thing they did when they smashed it and did a quick repair before selling to us at almost full price.
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
Merv78
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 6 months
Car Model: 1991 Mk1 1.8L Sport 8V Fox

Post by Merv78 »

I know its an old post but I have the same concern now, I also removed my engine mount from my 1991 1.8L Fox only to find the part supplied by GW is...well upside down, but, the sales guy said that they sell plenty with NO returns.
I decided to install it as is and it fitted fine, bolt aligned as well.
What I have noticed is that the engine runs way more smooth and stable than before.
Has anyone had any negative experience installing the GW mount as is i.e. upside down?
I googled this mount and I found a YOUTUBE video for a Caddy engine being done up and the guy explains replacing the bush into the mount and its exactly the way it came out of my Fox and the Citi Golf and not at all like GW sells it?
Not sure how its possible for GW to get this wrong or is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331TJcldbcU
Merv78

Previous Cars:
Jetta Mk1
1991 Sentra III 160 GX
1992 Sentra III 200 Sti
2014 Dodge Journey 2.4L SXT
2006 Polo Classic 1.6 Comfortline

Current Cars:
2016 Golf 7 SV 1.2 Tsi
1991 Fox 1.8L Sport
mopkop
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by mopkop »

On the VW gearbox mount the original has an Arrow ,the new one Nothing ,how to press in the mount correctly?