red_ruby
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2006 1.4 Chico

1.4i citi golf radiator fan not kicking in

Post by red_ruby »

Hi all

I have tried to look through the forums to find something related to my problem but could not find anything similar.
All was working fine up until one day that I was on my way home from work when I noticed that my fan took longer to kick in whilst stuck in traffic. Eventually close to home it went into the red and I had to turn the car off and wait until it cooled down. My water bottle cracked in this event so I will need to replace that too. What I have done is test the fan by unplugging it from the radiator sender unit and shorting the two points out - Fan kicks in - GREAT! so new sender unit and I am all sorted...or so I thought. Went to Goldwagen and bought the most expensive and Best one they had and fitted it only to find the water in the water bottle bubbling and temp gauge far over half but still no fan kicks in. Test the fan again by shorting the two pins out and it works. I felt the bottom radiator hose and it was cold if that would help? the top hoses were boiling hot to the touch... Could this be a Thermostat issue? When I felt the new sender unit with my finger it was hot to the touch so it seems as if the water is circulating in the radiator...Please help experts I am desperate to get this car going. Cheers

Current:

2006 Red VW Chico golf 1.4 a.k.a Red Ruby

Mods:
Simota Dual Cone Air Filter with NR Induction Kit Adaptor for Carb
Polo Style "Lift up" door handles
Velocity Style smoked tail lights
Autowatch Alarm system
Central locking upgrade
Little Tree Air Freshener
CaddyGTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Re: 1.4i citi golf radiator fan not kicking in

Post by CaddyGTI »

Bro it might be either your water pump but i doubt that. Most likely its your thermostat. I recommend that you go buy one at masterparts they might be cheaper than goldwagen.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
doctordubs
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by doctordubs »

Hmmm. ...the little rubber 8mm return pipe from the radiator to the top of the water bottle are prone to clogging. If its blocked the water system cant self bleed causing pretty much broken thermostat symptoms. Pull it off the bottle and blow into it to see if the water in the bottle starts bubbling. If its blocked chuck pipe. And check that the'radiator s outlet is clear and the bottles inlet too. If it is. Then its thermostat. Without circulation the hot water wont reach the switch.

Sent from my GT-S5280 using Tapatalk
red_ruby
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Model: 2006 1.4 Chico

Post by red_ruby »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have a look at it this coming Sunday as I am off to watch the Sprinboks vs AllBlacks this Saturday :) Cheers again for the suggestions.

Current:

2006 Red VW Chico golf 1.4 a.k.a Red Ruby

Mods:
Simota Dual Cone Air Filter with NR Induction Kit Adaptor for Carb
Polo Style "Lift up" door handles
Velocity Style smoked tail lights
Autowatch Alarm system
Central locking upgrade
Little Tree Air Freshener
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

bottom hose staying cold is your indicator. Thermostat is not opening.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Belindavanheerden
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Belindavanheerden »

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm in South Africa and I have exactly the same problem at the moment. Can't find the problem, tried everything.
faheemsallie
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf citi chico

Post by faheemsallie »

Thanks for this post, my issue was the 8mm bleeding pipe from the radiator to the water bottle. Blocked. Used a hanger and some engine cleaner, hot water and cleaned the inside completely. Fan working 100%
Current: Golf Chico 1.4 2007 (old school converted) | Jetta MK5 2.0tdi 2008
Ex:
Golf Mk2 CSX
Kadett 200is
S3 8L