TP100 location on MK1 ?

polydark
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

TP100 location on MK1 ?

Post by polydark »

Hi everyone, this is only my second post here!

Anyway, I've got a 2004 1.4 carb citi MK1 and have been getting this intermittent problem for the past year. This intermittent problem now seems to be getting a regular problem and I'm fed up. :crazy:

Sometimes when i turn the key the car won't start, the starter is just completely and utterly dead. It also seems to happen more when the car is hot after driving to the shops or something, when it stands for a while and cools down i don't get it as much. Also the one moment it wont start then suddenly it starts no problem.

The only way i can start the car when this happens is by bridging the solenoid, then she starts up perfectly. When i turn the key all the instrument lights come on then go off as is normal and i can hear an assortment of sounds going on and off behind the dashboard somewhere as i turn the key on and off, but no start.

I have a new battery installed, i installed a new solenoid and have tested with a new ignition switch but no joy. I have read somewhere that the TP100 ignition module can also cause similar issues and that it is located in the rain gutter but mine's not there? where can it be? The guy from goldwagen swore that it was there when i asked but when he looked and it wasn't he was stumped and said its behind the dash somewhere. Should i look at fuses or starter relays or earthing to the body? i don't really know where to start.

Any and all advice for this noob who knows just enough "om kak aan te jaag" will be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Have a lekker one!
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: TP100 location on MK1 ?

Post by UDC »

I doubt your car has a tp100, what type coil does your car have, if its the block type/square coil then it has a built in tp100, if its the older bottle/cylinder type coil then you will have tp100.

With regards to the starting issue, fit a relay to the starter wire
Q-BONE
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Car Make: VW, Toyota
Car Model: 1.8 Caddy; Yaris T3 Spirit
Membership No: missing

Post by Q-BONE »

Howzit buddy. Had the exact same problem with my brother's golf last month. Replaced the module & now works like a bomb!

Look behind the cubbyhole. You'll have to remove the cubby though. Cheers.
polydark
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by polydark »

howzit guys, thanks for the replies!

yes UDC its a newer "block type" coil pack with a bougi cord going to the distributor, that's probably why i cant find it in the rain gutter? . I took the little princess to an Auto Electrician here in Alberton today and as Murphy would have it the car starts fine after two weeks of giving kak! :bang: anyway he said its a voltage drop of some kind and he proceeded to fit a "booster relay" to the ignition wiring. she starts fine now after testing a million times on my way home :hurray: so hopefully it stays that way.

and Q-BONE i am going to take the cubby off over the weekend and see whats behind there regardless, thanks for the tip! :cool:
vishaldee
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 05 caddy mk1

Post by vishaldee »

Hi is the module plug and play or does it require coding
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

[Edit: at OP.]

Something is (or was) interrupting the signal from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Does the car have some type of immobiliser?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -