Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Heated Seats stopped working...

Post by Pik Sooter »

Hi guys,

I searched the forum, couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.
As of this winter, my Jetta's heated seats have stopped working, no errors, nada, niks.

Last year September I had a A/M radio installed, obviously I haven't used the heated seats since before then.
This morning when it was so cold I saw a gangster pull up his pants, I switched the heated driver seat to setting 5, my ass still cold when I got to work 40 minutes later..

I then switched on the passenger heated seat, same outcome, cold seat.
Where can I start looking for a problem short of ripping the wiring/seats/carpets out?

Thanks
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Re: Heated Seats stopped working...

Post by Killerwatt »

Fuse?
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: E90 LCI 320d M-Sport

Post by VW 'John Deere' TDI »

Killerwatt wrote:Fuse?
+1.

That should definitely be the starting point.

After that, I would check the plugs underneath the seats. They may have come unseated, although since you say it is both seats, that is probably unlikely. I also think you may get an error on the dash when the seat plugs are unseated. Still worth checking though.
Current: BMW 320d E90 LCi M-Sport - Yin & Yang
Ex: VW Polo 9n3 1.9TDI Sportline - John Deere

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
Pik Sooter
Captain

Post by Pik Sooter »

Thanks, will start with the fuse box in the cabin, then fuse box in the engine bay.
Also doubt the plugs are unseated, seats have never been removed.

I just hope that the element/heater/thing didn't burn out.
Could also be the wiring behind the console where the 2 heat setting wheel thingies sit, maybe they removed it by accident when they installed the radio.
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

Jetta TDi wrote:Thanks, will start with the fuse box in the cabin, then fuse box in the engine bay.
Also doubt the plugs are unseated, seats have never been removed. Seats don't have to be removed for the plugs to become unseated. With my BMW I had it happen at the car wash. The lady with the vacuum cleaner accidently pulled them out while vacuuming. Either way, like we said, I doubt it is this that is the problem.

Could also be the wiring behind the console where the 2 heat setting wheel thingies sit, maybe they removed it by accident when they installed the radio. I think this is probably the most likely problem after a blown fuse. I hope it isn't though, as taking apart a dash is always a terrible job IMO.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
Pik Sooter
Captain

Post by Pik Sooter »

VW 'John Deere' TDI wrote:
Jetta TDi wrote:Thanks, will start with the fuse box in the cabin, then fuse box in the engine bay.
Also doubt the plugs are unseated, seats have never been removed. Seats don't have to be removed for the plugs to become unseated. With my BMW I had it happen at the car wash. The lady with the vacuum cleaner accidently pulled them out while vacuuming. Either way, like we said, I doubt it is this that is the problem.

Could also be the wiring behind the console where the 2 heat setting wheel thingies sit, maybe they removed it by accident when they installed the radio. I think this is probably the most likely problem after a blown fuse. I hope it isn't though, as taking apart a dash is always a terrible job IMO.
If not the 3rd Worst Job to do on a car!! 1st Imo: Removing lower engine cover without a lift!! 14 LONG Bolts!!! BS!!! LOL
2nd, while easy, brakes!! It's dirty, it's nasty and you feel like a mine worker afterwards..
Pik Sooter
Captain

Post by Pik Sooter »

THINK I found the problem.

Pulled out the fuse box cover/trim, pulled out the manual.
The picture of the fuse box in the manual looks different from the one in my car, it's the other way around and a different design.

So anyway, I checked where the Heated Seats fuses are according to the drawing.
Located them in my fuse box....

Fuses are missing.. All of them.. 3 - 5AMP, 20AMP and a 30AMP... :roll: :lol: :fear: :rant: :mad: :troll: :deadhorse: :violin:

Will swing past the garage today and pickup some fuses.
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

That's weird man. :eek:

Do you think someone removed them?

Mabra
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by Mabra »

Also having almost the same problem here with my polo 7 gti... But its only the driver's seat that is not heating up. The indicator on the button just flashes once nd out. But since u guys mentioned something about the fuse I will check it up.
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

Mabra wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:09 pm Also having almost the same problem here with my polo 7 gti... But its only the driver's seat that is not heating up. The indicator on the button just flashes once nd out. But since u guys mentioned something about the fuse I will check it up.
Seems to be a common problem. My 6C does the same & the passenger works perfect. Checked all my fuses and they are fine. I'm yet to do a scan and see what comes out. I've been busy on weekends and thats something I really need 2 sort.
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
Mabra
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by Mabra »

I wonder what is wrong with it... Perhaps an auto electrician can work some magic right
Kullani
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 GTi 1.8 Polo

Post by Kullani »

Mabra wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:09 pm Also having almost the same problem here with my polo 7 gti... But its only the driver's seat that is not heating up. The indicator on the button just flashes once nd out. But since u guys mentioned something about the fuse I will check it up.
Have you found the solution on the problem? Mine also, the passenger works fine but the driver's just flash once.
RooshevN
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6R GTi

Post by RooshevN »

I'm experiencing this on my 6R Gti. Was there a solution?
Pik Sooter
Captain

Post by Pik Sooter »

Jeezz.. Holy thread necro. Lol! Sorry gents, I have no idea if it works. I sold her in 2018.. maybe @dietermk4 can update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk