Bulb failure/ error light

Prinzo
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n3

Bulb failure/ error light

Post by Prinzo »

Hi all. I recently upgraded my lights on my 2012 Polo 6. Upgraded the headlights and fogs to HID and changed all the park lights to the super white bulbs. Everything is working 100% but I notice the bulb failure or error light has popped up on my cluster. Any suggestions on how to clear this or what could cause it. Please assist guys. Thanks

Hope I posted this in the right section.
Tander
Brigadier
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Leon Cupra
Membership No: 1713

Re: Bulb failure/ error light

Post by Tander »

Hi, :hi:

Your car has a system called a CANBUS. Basically its a communication system for the car and it knows whats going on with its electronics etc. This includes detecting if there is a faulty a bulb. Since you fitted aftermarket bulbs, the computer won't pick them up correctly and thus, you get a build out error. You will need to replace the offending bulb(s) with whats known as error-canclening bulbs or canbus friendly bulbs. Your supplier of the bulbs you got should have the correct stuff. Otherwise, Jabba off these forums will be able to help you out with the correct type of bulbs.

Good luck. :)

Current Rides:
2008 SEAT Leon Cupra - Banshee

Exes:
2006 Polo 9N3 - 1.6i
2003 Citi.com 1.3
2003 Opel Corsa Lite
Prinzo
Enlisted

Post by Prinzo »

Thanks so much man. I will check if that's the problem, hopefully it is that and nothing major :hurray:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

In short, the HID kit you have most likely has a lower resistance than the standard bulbs, leading your cars ECU to believe that the bulb is out. As Tander says, you will need CANBUS friendly HID kits...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi
Membership No: missing

Post by TimeShifter »

Neuk wrote:In short, the HID kit you have most likely has a lower resistance than the standard bulbs, leading your cars ECU to believe that the bulb is out. As Tander says, you will need CANBUS friendly HID kits...
It's the other way round, the HID's have a higher resistance hence drawing less current which in turn triggers the blown bulb due to the lower current drawn. That's why those "canbus" friendly bulbs have an additional resistor connected in parallel to draw more current. Something to watch out for is that those resistors can get very hot which have caused some cars to set alight.
2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

TimeShifter wrote:
Neuk wrote:In short, the HID kit you have most likely has a lower resistance than the standard bulbs, leading your cars ECU to believe that the bulb is out. As Tander says, you will need CANBUS friendly HID kits...
It's the other way round, the HID's have a higher resistance hence drawing less current which in turn triggers the blown bulb due to the lower current drawn. That's why those "canbus" friendly bulbs have an additional resistor connected in parallel to draw more current. Something to watch out for is that those resistors can get very hot which have caused some cars to set alight.
Woops, I wonder why I thought they had a lower resistance, they do use less power/energy?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi
Membership No: missing

Post by TimeShifter »

Neuk wrote:
TimeShifter wrote:
Woops, I wonder why I thought they had a lower resistance, they do use less power/energy?
Yip, they normally 35W if I recall correctly whereas the normal bulbs are 55W.
2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
Tander
Brigadier

Post by Tander »

TimeShifter wrote:
Neuk wrote:
TimeShifter wrote:
Yip, they normally 35W if I recall correctly whereas the normal bulbs are 55W.
That's correct. Main beams with normal is 55w and the HiDs are 35w.

Current Rides:

Exes:
2006 Polo 9N3 - 1.6i
2003 Citi.com 1.3
2003 Opel Corsa Lite
Prinzo
Enlisted

Post by Prinzo »

Just confirmed with my supplier and he says that the HID kit itself are canbus friendly and so are the park lights itself. Are there any other factors that could cause this and what's th safest way to sort it out without my car catching alight :drool:
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Prinzo wrote:Just confirmed with my supplier and he says that the HID kit itself are canbus friendly and so are the park lights itself.
Clearly not.....else you would not be getting a error (unless you have a bulb out)
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Make sure all the clips and wires are fully secured , fitted normal Blue Ultras and had one bring up error
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Amith11
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: DUH !!!
Car Model: MK7 GTI
Membership No: 1545

Post by Amith11 »

Howie-WP wrote:
Prinzo wrote:Just confirmed with my supplier and he says that the HID kit itself are canbus friendly and so are the park lights itself.
Clearly not.....else you would not be getting a error (unless you have a bulb out)

Who is the dealer if you dont mind me asking ?
I am with Howie on this, either its not friendly or you have an electric issue with a light out or wire etc faulty
MK 7 GTi
(Daily)
amith.singh@icloud.com

Lost Loves:
Mk4 Tdi Wagon
MK4 TDi
Mk4 GTI .:R (True Love)
MK3 Cabriolette 2.0l Exec
Mk2 GTI 1.8 8V
Mk1 Caddy
Mk1 GTS (4door)
Tander
Brigadier

Post by Tander »

Almost definitely not canbus friendly bulb.

You can double check by simply installing the original bulbs. If error disappears - you know where the issue is then. The HiD bulbs.

Current Rides:

Exes:
2006 Polo 9N3 - 1.6i
2003 Citi.com 1.3
2003 Opel Corsa Lite
Amith11
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: DUH !!!
Car Model: MK7 GTI
Membership No: 1545

Post by Amith11 »

Tander wrote:Almost definitely not canbus friendly bulb.

You can double check by simply installing the original bulbs. If error disappears - you know where the issue is then. The HiD bulbs.
:iagree:
MK 7 GTi
(Daily)
amith.singh@icloud.com

Lost Loves:
Mk4 Tdi Wagon
MK4 TDi
Mk4 GTI .:R (True Love)
MK3 Cabriolette 2.0l Exec
Mk2 GTI 1.8 8V
Mk1 Caddy
Mk1 GTS (4door)
Prinzo
Enlisted

Post by Prinzo »

Cool guys. Thanks for all the replies. Just been so hectic with the festive season. Compliments of the season to everyone. When I sort it out then I will let you guys know.
kishan213
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by kishan213 »

Hwsit. Same story here after I changed tail light bulbs and replaced them with led bulbs. Any idea where I can get Canbus friendly red tail light bulbs in Durban?