Golf 3 fuel tank in Golf 2 - Gti

UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Golf 3 fuel tank in Golf 2 - Gti

Post by UDC »

I want to change the fuel tank in my golf 2, want the golf 3 tank with FI pump inside the tank.
Just need to know if the golf 3 carb tank and FI tank differs, I know the FI tank has those clips on the inside of tank to hold the pump, so question is does the carb tank also have those clips and I can just buy a new pump and slot into tank.
SilverFox
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MK3 GSX, Golf IV TDi
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf 3 fuel tank in Golf 2 - Gti

Post by SilverFox »

The mk3 carb tank does not have the clips. If u want to use this tank for FI, you will need to get the one piece pump from Golf 4 or Polo (not sure about model Polo). When I converted my carb Mk3 to FI, I dropped in the Golf 4 pump. Only problem is with the fuel sender. It reads backwards. But this is with mk3. No idea what the sender will be showing with a mk2.
Also found a link for mk3 tank into mk2: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... a-real-DIY
No pictures, but there are more links in the thread with pics.
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

Cool thanks for the info, so what holds the golf 4 pump inside the golf 3 carb tank, besides the top ring cover/nut.
SilverFox
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf MK3 GSX, Golf IV TDi

Post by SilverFox »

MK4 is a solid pump. The lock ring is all thats needed to keep it in place. No clips needed.
The Mk3 pump is 2 pieces joined with a flexible hose. Thus the need for the clips.
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

cool I see, so with the carb tank and mk4 pump it works fine besides gauge reading, any surging issues etc
VWicked
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: Golf 2 GTi
Membership No: 1492

Post by VWicked »

had this setup on panic's GS. worked fine on his 20vt and 'abf'.

I found that the gauge did not read in reverse but calibration was different, like if i was on red line i could still do 250km.
Have you had your bottle of Hatorade today?

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

how much is a golf 4 fuel pump
VWicked
Lieutenant-General

Post by VWicked »

no idea, i returned the pump i had to panic when i refitted the carb stuff on the car.

Try goldwagen. As far as I saw it does need some fabrication to fit properly little bit of filing etc

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

cool, thanks for the info guys
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

so finally got round to doing this, found a Jetta 3 Cli tank about 2 weeks ago and bought a new pump etc, so this weekend I was ready to do the conversion.
Its fairly simple really and much simpler setup to be honest, tanks have slight differences but is fits like a glove.
Also to add I tested the fuel float setup before starting off, I connected it loose to exsisting harness and then monitored the gauge with reference to different float position and it worked spot on, showed when empty, half way and full.

First disconnect battery, then remove tank/float inspection cover, disconnect connector and fuel pipes, black is feed to front, blue is return to tank.

open fuel flap, remove rubber cover, has a thin metal cir clip thingy holding it in place.

abit of a tight squeeze but hand fitted and had to pull that pipe of the air lock valve to remove this rubber.

Had to get rear of car high up so jacked up and on stands with plenty space to work inn, also to add I had to remove the right hand side rear wheel when fitting tank, so loosen those wheel nuts before jacking car up.

under the right rear wheel arch, holding the filler neck to body is 2 x 10mm bolts, easy to get to.

under the car is 3 straps that needs to be opened with 2 x 13mm bolts holding each strap to the chassis, place jack with a nice size plank under the tank before opening these straps to prevent tank from falling on you.
3 x Straps bolt positions under rear axle area
3 x strap bolt positions just behind rear slam panel

UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

as you lower tank you will notice two tank breather pipes going to the filler neck but via a hole in wheel arch, can either cut these off as the golf 3 tank has these built in already or disconnect them at the filler neck side, once those are off pull pipes through the hole in the arch and remove tank.

golf 3 vs golf 2 tank

golf 3 FI tank with the clips inside to hold the fuel pump in place

rubber seal, plastic nut/cap for tank and golf 3 pump with float

you will notice that on those clips inside the tank, one is smaller in size, so when fitting pump make sure they correspond, once slotted in, just twist the pump so that the clips slot into place

fit the rubber seal, push float setup into tank carefully, make sure rubber seal doesnt not fold and tighten cap to hold in position.

and now you ready to fit tank back onto car, position the filler neck first, then raise tank with jack until in postion, make sure the fuel pipes are in postion on top at the inspection panel, if not reset before strapping tank on.
I managed to get the straps with this tank as well but ended up not using them as I felt they were to short and the original mk2 straps fitted fine.... just needed to be bent abit to the shape on new tank but fairly simple really.

the holes for the filler neck line up perfectly as well

fitted that rubber cover to filler neck and reconnect pipe to air lock valve as well.
Last edited by UDC on Mon May 27, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

So with tank fitted now I got down to sorting the wiring up of the new pump, I managed to get the mk3 fuel tank wiring plug as well.

Golf 3 vs Golf 2 tank/fuel gauge wiring plug

the golf 2 used a common earth, hence the 3 vs 4 wires, so i just joined the earth wires on the mk3 plug and the other two are colour coded, red/yellow trace is fuel pump + and purple/black tracer is the fuel gauge + and both share a common earth.

I never had the OEM surge tank and pump under my golf 2 as it was missing from the time I bought the car but had built my own surge tank along with a FI pump but basically you just need to remove the tank/pump setup from under the car, leave fuel filter in place and just join the pipes with fuel hose.
Once i bypassed and joined those pipes I bought about 20litres of fuel, filled into tank, connected battery terminal, turned ign on and off a few times to prime the pump and lines, couldnt even hear the pump come on, started car, let it idle, checked for leaks, revved car abit and all was well, really happy with the conversion.
VWicked
Lieutenant-General

Post by VWicked »

Great stuff, I cant see pics now bud definitely eager to see how it turned out

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
M3THANOL
Blue Bomber
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Golf Mk2...now....2.0L 8V AGG
Membership No: 1822

Post by M3THANOL »

this needs to be made a sticky in the DIY section, nice one buddy!!!!!
I'm literally can't evening!
http://www.iamsecond.com/

Current: The Blue Bomber
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=151592

1/4 mile: 16.5s @ 133km/h (ODI-2013/10/27)
1km: 165km/h (ODI-2013/10/27)
Aveezy
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by Aveezy »

Sup UDC . Question about the tank swap . Did you have any problem with your mk2 fuel guage not showing the right measurement? At the moment mine has play around reserve up and down and sometimes don't move at all . Could it be the swap ,have you had this problem or maybe my cluster?
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

no my gauge worked fine after the swap, remove the pump with float then move the float with your hand up and down to the empty and full mark and check how your gauge behaves, if it matched the float position then the cluster and float is working fine.
Could be the float is not sitting correctly in the pump or caught against the pump as it is a tight squeeze when fitting it back.
Aveezy
Cadet

Post by Aveezy »

Okay cool , will do that 1st thing in the morning ,Thanks
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If you still have the original setup of course you also just use that sender unit to test and see.....
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Aveezy
Cadet

Post by Aveezy »

Original Setup?? basically changed the tank to mk3 gti and have the original fuel pump , fuel filter and fuel lines with a MPi injection installed as car was priviously carb with manual fuel pump. With the mk3 gti it had 3wires out the pump .the spitronics management is heading to 1 of the wires ,im guessing live and i connected the other 2 as per colour ,the 1st few days it went to reserve but now it doesn't want to move at all . i know for a fact i should have atleast R150 fuel in the car

A guy on facebook said he had the same problem ,had to remove the pump and change the coil on it ... I have no idea what he is talking about , can this be true?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Original setup as in the original tank and float.
Unless spitronics has built in relays you should not have any of the tank wires going directly to the management.
On the 4 wires you have in the picture you posted the 2 outers are for the pump. The thick brown should go to the battery negative or onto the chassis as a ground.
The thick outer red.yelow/ orange thing is a 12v positive that should be swithced on via a relay triggered by the managemet (if it has that function)
Then the 2middle ones is the fuel tank level indicator which has no voltage bit is simply a resistive across the 2 wires. And that should have simply gone to the one black and brown wire as per the original.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Aveezy
Cadet

Post by Aveezy »

Correction - Sorry

My original Carb mk2 setup had 2 wires
Brown and Purple

the mk3 Gti pump has 4 wires so the RED is to the relay for the spitronics , the 2x Brown is joined to my original brown wire that was already there and Purple to purple which i'm guessing is for the gauge
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Aveezy wrote:Correction - Sorry

My original Carb mk2 setup had 2 wires
Brown and Purple

the mk3 Gti pump has 4 wires so the RED is to the relay for the spitronics , the 2x Brown is joined to my original brown wire that was already there and Purple to purple which i'm guessing is for the gauge

Okthere is part of your problem. That original brown is not an earth earth. It is a signal ground.
So the two in the middle of your 4 pin must go there. But the thick brown you must cut off and put directly to chassis or to battery earth.
You are drawing the currnet for the pump through your cluster currently
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Aveezy
Cadet

Post by Aveezy »

Damn! . Okay cool thanks Panic . Will sort that out asap
Aveezy
Cadet

Post by Aveezy »

So just to confirm .

Thin brown to thin brown .
Purple to purple
Red to relay for spitronics
THICK BROWN directly to body or negative on batt right??
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Exactly right.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10