Too vr6 or not to vr6

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi guys

I'm considering buying a golf vr6! What are the things one should look out for on these cars, and how strong are the motors?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trev ???
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

Can you afford a heavy fuel & maintenance bill? Was considering one myself, but the high fuel costs made me decide otherwise.
Frederic

Post by Frederic »

I wanted a Golf VR6 since they came out and bought one three months ago. No regrets what so ever. It's a '96 model, completely standard and had 140 000km on the clock with a full service record and still going strong.

From what I heard and fellow members please correct me if I am wrong:

The VR6 doesn't have a cambelt but works with a timing chain and is very expensive to repair. You should hear it if something is not ok here.

Not the ideal car to soop up. Works out very expensive compared to the 4 cylinder cars.

I was told that when going to extremes i.e. turbo on the VR6, the timing chain stretches. Maybe ask Mike about this one, he had a tubo charged VR6. Mr Turbo also has a one.

Overall, very nice car. Kicks most other cars but and just got to love that distinctive roaring VR6 sound, no 4 cylinder comes close to that! :D :p :D
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

Frederic wrote:just got to love that distinctive roaring VR6 sound, no 4 cylinder comes close to that! :D :p :D
Eish, very true - I find it VERY addictive!!! :)
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Frederic wrote:I wanted a Golf VR6 since they came out and bought one three months ago. No regrets what so ever. It's a '96 model, completely standard and had 140 000km on the clock with a full service record and still going strong.
Howzit

If you don't mind me asking, but what did you pick it up for?

Cheers
Hood

Post by Hood »

Hi

Ive just bought a VR and im taking delivery on sat the 16th. Cant wait!!!

I was told to look for a late 97 onwards and found one. Apparently the new spec has changes which benefit the vehicle just depends on how much you got to spend i suppose.

I found mine through zabka. Tony sold his VR to someone and now im buying it from that someone.

Have fun if and when you get yours!!!

The Hood.... :cool:
Frederic

Post by Frederic »

Worked out to R80 000, this included a 2 year insurance type cover on the mechanical parts.
Bio-Surge
Lieutenant-Colonel
Car Make: Toyota, VW, Mahindra
Car Model: '95 Hilux 2.4tD
Membership No: missing

Post by Bio-Surge »

Frederic wrote:a 2 year insurance type cover on the mechanical parts.
Yes never a bad idea to take a mechanical insurance policy that your financer offers you.
I have been saved by these policies many times. Definitely worth the money spent on it. Some of them even allow you to claim from them if damage is due to usage and not fault. Then they pay out 50% of the value. I've had both the propshafts and diffs on my bakkie fixed like that. I usually say it's a precautionary measure. I started getting a hum from my diffs and decided to have them fixed before they broke. The insurance company was happy to fork out half the cash instead of much more later if it broke.

If it gets offered to you... Take it. And if it doesn't, ask for it. Bankfin offers such a service, although on the cabby I had to ask them for it. I think McCarthy also has one.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have NOT offended.
Please be patient.
I will get to you shortly...

Bio-Surge@Netraver.org.za
Scaring satan and little children since '78
Frederic

Post by Frederic »

Ive just bought a VR and im taking delivery on sat the 16th. Cant wait!!!

I was told to look for a late 97 onwards and found one. Apparently the new spec has changes which benefit the vehicle just depends on how much you got to spend i suppose.

I found mine through zabka. Tony sold his VR to someone and now im buying it from that someone.

Congrats, and coming from Tony it must be good! :)
Any work done on it?

Having trouble sleeping? :D :p
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I looked at one today .... 1995 VR6 Jetta - Around 160 000km on the clock. R59999 ... seems a bit expensive according to Meadnet.
Also ... I hear about this timing chain problem ... how is it identified?
This motors sounds reasonable ... difficult to tell ... has a whining sound from somewhere tho ... not by the belt - sounds more like it coming near the exhaust areas somewhere ... could this be a problem ?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

How much better does the Golf handle than the Jetta? Is it noticable? I drive a Golf Mk2 and wouldnt mind the space of a Jetta ....
Raptor_Za

Post by Raptor_Za »

Chaz wrote:How much better does the Golf handle than the Jetta? Is it noticable? I drive a Golf Mk2 and wouldnt mind the space of a Jetta ....
Hey Chaz,
From what guys tell me the jetta handles better than the golf.That also seems to be the case on the GTi club of the uk's board. From my personal experiance I know the for a fact the polo classic handles far better than the playa.I drove both when buying my old car and believe me its a noticeble diferance. cheers! :)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Interesting - sounds wrong way around though.

Can you give a link to the UK GTI club?
Thanks

I am about to go drive that Jetta VR6 - lets see what its like ....
Raptor_Za

Post by Raptor_Za »

Here is their site,
cheers! :)
GTi club UK
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Feedback ...

Car is awesome to drive (have driven a VR6 before) .... I realised how refined it is when I got back into my Mk2 ... fair difs.

The preformance is def better - but theres no ways that it will run away from a 200SX ... not at this altitude anyways.

R60K - 1995 VR6 Jetta - 157 000kms ...

Good condition - only probs that I could see - all 4 speakers are dented (signs of not looking after a car).
Some oil around the gearbox engine mounting - couldnt see where it was coming from. Also some oil around the area where on my car the dissy sits ...
And then one of the door skirting thingies was coming a bit loose.

Me thinks Ill be looking when I come back from Nigeria. Else I keep my MK2 - spend a bit of money on it - and buy myself a bike :-)
Raptor_Za

Post by Raptor_Za »

Brew stay far away from cars with oil leaks!
Espcialy on a VR6.
cheers! :)