Golf 7 TSI/TDI Owners Discussion Corner

s e t h
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Golf 7 TSI/TDI Owners Discussion Corner

Post by s e t h »

congrats on the car and post some pics of all the r-line bits and differences?
my top tips for lower fuel consumption would be drive slower such as 60km/h uses less fuel than 80km/h and it gets exponentially worse as you go even faster....and then accelerate more slowly too.
in cape town you won't see as low as some higher lying areas as the air is just much thicker on the coast so one uses more energy to punch through it.
if you have a manual then change at lower revs ..... a DSG would be in 7th by 70km/h already at normal load.
flyingdutchman125
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by flyingdutchman125 »

I would tend to disagree about the comment about coastal consumption. There is more oxygen, so your engine makes more power and doesn't have to work as hard, so consumption is lower. I just had my car in PE for the first time and I got significantly better consumption with less conservative driving.
Ex: 2004 Audi A4 1.8T 140kW
Ex: 2012 Honda Accord 2.4 AT
Ex: 2012 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
Ex: 2014 VW Golf 7 R DSG
Current: 2013 VW Golf 7 1.4 TSI 103kW
s e t h
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by s e t h »

hmm...interesting
G-UNIT
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: G7

Post by G-UNIT »

I've heard many people say that turbo engines perform much better at the coat.
I've tested this in Durban when I was there and agree.

Not sure about the consumption though, I was tramping it around the corners :)
Dantm
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Dantm »

It is a DSG. Aprt from the drivinng style I'm more after actual facts that hopefully some guys have done without voiding warranties etc. I am also familiar with increases in performance will have an affect on consumption etc, etc. I suppose coming out of and Audi (1,8t) to this I realise the power is a lot less but in my mind the fuel consumption is not that different knowing the fact the yes is a smaller motor etc etc. For refence i owned a min cooper s 5 years ago, it had 128kw with 240nm torque with overboost to 260 or so and I drove it like normal and pushed it when I could and it achieved 6,8 to 7.2 l/100 max. With this im drive it what I feel like "twinkle toes" and always starring at the consumption, cruising speeds at 120km/h i'm achieving 6,8 l/100 which is not bad at all. traffic, with stop start etc, 8.5 to 9.

Guys I dont intend to start a heated debate about performance or driving styles etc, I'm purely doing research on what works well and by so we all learn.
flyingdutchman125
Enlisted

A few things that worked well on my Honda Accord 2.4: D1Spec voltage stabiliser, Injen CAI (just don't drive through standing water, will swallow water), regular use of Wynns injector cleaner and spitfire (used in consecutive tanks and available from Builders), freeflow exhaust, downpipe (or decat in my case with the Honda). Combination gave better consumption and performance.
Jacks101
Enlisted

Post by Jacks101 »

Hi all, i need some help or advice. I recently bought myself a 2014 G7 GTI DSG. The car is awesome, panoramic sunroof, PDC, full leather, bi-xenons etc and it drives like a dream. However, i was very surprised to find two things that worry me..

1. the bi-xenons arent as white as i had expected the would be ( i used to drive an Audi A4 with bi-xenons and these lights were ice white at night) and they seem to be more ivory in color. Could this be something the dealership can check and adjust?
2. the car is frighteningly heavy on petrol. I cannot get it lower than 13.5l / 100km in bumper to bumper traffic. Also, when looking at the consumption in peak hour traffic, the driving data shows that sometimes i am consuming up to 20 - 30l / 100km... by just releasing the break to creep forward every so often.

Sorry for the long post, but i would appreciate some input.

All best
Jacks
Dantm
Enlisted

Post by Dantm »

Hi Jacks101, I can confirm its not the lights I asked the dealership the same question as I too got out of an Audi and noticed the same, not that bright at all too. I cannot comment on your very heavy fuel consumption though. There is a specific GTi thread on forums here, I'm sure and you would probably find some answers there from fellow owners. It does sound extremely high!. Whats the age of your car, mileage??, if its new it will be high initially but will adjust as you "learn" how to drive it more economically. Please share your finding here to keep us in the loop. Good luck
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by s3 freak »

Jacks101 wrote:Hi all, i need some help or advice. I recently bought myself a 2014 G7 GTI DSG. The car is awesome, panoramic sunroof, PDC, full leather, bi-xenons etc and it drives like a dream. However, i was very surprised to find two things that worry me..

1. the bi-xenons arent as white as i had expected the would be ( i used to drive an Audi A4 with bi-xenons and these lights were ice white at night) and they seem to be more ivory in color. Could this be something the dealership can check and adjust?
2. the car is frighteningly heavy on petrol. I cannot get it lower than 13.5l / 100km in bumper to bumper traffic. Also, when looking at the consumption in peak hour traffic, the driving data shows that sometimes i am consuming up to 20 - 30l / 100km... by just releasing the break to creep forward every so often.

All best
Jacks
Hahahah Welcome to the club, You must have a really heavy foot... :hug:

Hahahah atm im averaging about 320-360km per tank, around 13-16L per 100km....
flyingdutchman125
Enlisted

I had a G6 GTI and I'm not that surprised by your consumption. Remember you are driving a performance car. My G7 R was even heavier than that. Take it on the freeway for a good drive and see what the consumption is. That will give me a better idea. The consumption at crawl speed is normal - even when I pull off with my little 1.4 TSI it's between 20 and 40 and my GTI and R were the same.
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by aomar296 »

Dantm please share some dsg specific economic driving tips
Jacks101
Enlisted

Post by Jacks101 »

Dantm wrote:Hi Jacks101, I can confirm its not the lights I asked the dealership the same question as I too got out of an Audi and noticed the same, not that bright at all too. I cannot comment on your very heavy fuel consumption though. There is a specific GTi thread on forums here, I'm sure and you would probably find some answers there from fellow owners. It does sound extremely high!. Whats the age of your car, mileage??, if its new it will be high initially but will adjust as you "learn" how to drive it more economically. Please share your finding here to keep us in the loop. Good luck

Thanks Dantm. Guess it will take a little while for me to get used to the "different" xenons. As for the mileage on my car, 17,000km. 2014 Model, so should have been run in by now. Thanks, i only saw after i had sent my post that i did it in the wrong chat / area. Thanks for the reply though.
Jacks101
Enlisted

Post by Jacks101 »

s3 freak wrote:
Jacks101 wrote:Hi all, i need some help or advice. I recently bought myself a 2014 G7 GTI DSG. The car is awesome, panoramic sunroof, PDC, full leather, bi-xenons etc and it drives like a dream. However, i was very surprised to find two things that worry me..

All best
Jacks
Hahahah Welcome to the club, You must have a really heavy foot... :hug:

Hahahah atm im averaging about 320-360km per tank, around 13-16L per 100km....

I guess i do... but honestly, dont think i can trickle it anymore than what i am... perhaps it is my driving style that needs to be adjusted. Thanks for the response though!
Jacks101
Enlisted

Post by Jacks101 »

flyingdutchman125 wrote:I had a G6 GTI and I'm not that surprised by your consumption. Remember you are driving a performance car. My G7 R was even heavier than that. Take it on the freeway for a good drive and see what the consumption is. That will give me a better idea. The consumption at crawl speed is normal - even when I pull off with my little 1.4 TSI it's between 20 and 40 and my GTI and R were the same.

I agree with the performance car bit, but still, 7L - 8L / 100KM... that is Porsche type consumption. Not a 2.0 GTI. Lol. Note that my high consumption isnt at pull off... it is at crawl, where i basically just release the break pedal and the car crawls forward... pulling off with some speed and then letting the car run through the gears seems to make it more economic TBH. Thanks for the reply though!
flyingdutchman125
Enlisted

Yep, even at crawl it will do that. Remember, you're running at the least economical when you're crawling - engine is idling and you're in first gear with almost no momentum keeping you going. I assume you mean 7 - 8 km/L? Nah, Porsche consumption - try 20l/100km and upwards urban...those types of cars are very very thirsty.
Reflection
Enlisted

Post by Reflection »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 MK7 1.4TSi DSG with 41000km on the clock. 2 weeks ago I noticed that when I am stationary at a stops street or robot, and my engine is switched of by auto Stop\Start, when I touch the petrol pedal to start again, the car tries to start but then dies, sometimes it ask me to start manually , or sometime I just have to push the petrol pedal harder to get some revs for the car to start.

Have anyone on the forum experienced a problem like this before? Any fixes or suggestions?
Awesum
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Model: Tiguan
Membership No: 999

Post by Awesum »

Might be your battery is on its way out. The voltage might still be high enough to allow the stop/start system to work, but cannot supply enough current to start.
Have it load tested.
2019 Tiguan 2.0TDI, R-Line
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2015 Polo 6C GTI, DSG, Pure White
Ex 2014 Golf VII GTI, DSG, Tornado red
Ex 2010 Scirocco 2.0TSi, DSG; Candy White; Revo, 20" RS6 wheels; Coiled looow.
Ex 2010 Golf VI GTI Dsg, Tornado Red, 19's, Revo 2
Ex 2008 Golf V GTI DSG, Riding on 19"s
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
Ex 1991 Golf II GTi 2.0 16V
Ex 1991 Jetta II CLi 1.8 8V Exec
flyingdutchman125
Enlisted

Yeah my thoughts as well. Stop start system didn't work when my battery was on its way out, even though the car started fine. Bit weird that pushing the accelerator helps though...
Dantm
Enlisted

Post by Dantm »

is your hill hold assist activated?, if yes turn that off and see what it does, without the hill hold assist when you take your foor off the brake the car should start and not by pressing the accelerator. I doubt its the battery, once the car has started it runs off the alternator so this shouldn't be the suspect.
Reflection
Enlisted

Post by Reflection »

Dantm wrote:is your hill hold assist activated?, if yes turn that off and see what it does, without the hill hold assist when you take your foor off the brake the car should start and not by pressing the accelerator. I doubt its the battery, once the car has started it runs off the alternator so this shouldn't be the suspect.
Thanks Guys for the quick response.

My hill hold assist was active, so I turned it off and it work well , then I switched it back on again to test , and it still worked for 2 turns then I stopped at a traffic light with the hill hold assist activated and it tried to start but died and then it tried by it self to start again and then it started. So I switched the hill assist off again, and when I pulled into my garage it did the same where it switched the engine off but the first attempt to start when I took my foot of the brake pedal it failed but it started the a second time by it self. I pressed the brake pedal again but the light that indicates that the auto start is not active came on. So I guess the battery did not have enough power to stop and start again. I think I will get the battery checked out by the dealer, hopefully they should know best what the power output must be.
VaneshN
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by VaneshN »

Hi Guys,

I am due for new tyres.

My car has Michelin energy, 205/55/16.
When I phoned around apparently the Michelin energy is discontinued, so this means I need to buy four tyres instead of 3. No savings here :crazy:

What brand of tyre do you recommend? I was thinking Continental premium Contact 2?

Anyone has this tyre?
-------------------
Current :2018 - VW Golf 7.5 Gti

EX's
2016 - VW Polo 1.2TSi Highline DSG
2013 - VW Golf 7 1.4TSI Comfortline DSG
2011 - VW Tiguan TSi
2007 - VW Golf V Gti-Dsg (best Golf to date)
2005 - Toyota Runx 180RX
2003 - Toyota Runx 140RT
1995 - Toyota Corolla 160I
1992 - Toyota Conquest RSi
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

VaneshN wrote:Hi Guys,

I am due for new tyres.

My car has Michelin energy, 205/55/16.
When I phoned around apparently the Michelin energy is discontinued, so this means I need to buy four tyres instead of 3. No savings here :crazy:

What brand of tyre do you recommend? I was thinking Continental premium Contact 2?

Anyone has this tyre?
My colleague fitted continental and he's happy with them, I've fitted the pirelli pzerro rosso after using pirelli cinturato P7 (came with the car)
MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
flyingdutchman125
Enlisted

Continental is the one of the crappiest tyres I've had - only Dunlop was worse. I have Bridgestone Potenza on my car and they're pretty good. I've also had good experience with Pirelli and Michelin. Why don't you check what else Michelin has to offer?
VaneshN
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by VaneshN »

Hi Guys,

Michelin only has a Primacy 3- this has bad reviews.

What do the others guys have?
-------------------
Current :2018 - VW Golf 7.5 Gti

EX's
2016 - VW Polo 1.2TSi Highline DSG
2013 - VW Golf 7 1.4TSI Comfortline DSG
2011 - VW Tiguan TSi
2007 - VW Golf V Gti-Dsg (best Golf to date)
2005 - Toyota Runx 180RX
2003 - Toyota Runx 140RT
1995 - Toyota Corolla 160I
1992 - Toyota Conquest RSi
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by s3 freak »

On both my cars Audi s3 and g7 I had the Conti sport contact 2 from factory and they had exceptional grip/ no road noise and good tyre wear, on the audi it lasted me 40kkm.

if I had to replace I would go for them again, if they weren't discontinued, mind you some places do have them still :hurray: