Impi
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Polo Vivo Gt

Post by Impi »

Hi
I just bought a new Vivo GT and was wondering about a few things
The Vivo is obviously a SA only continuation of the older generation Polo 9n3
and as such a lot of Vivo only parts were designed and built the most obvious being the Bumpers and the deletion of quite a few trim bits.
It would be great to compile a list of Parts which were deleted as well as which parts would make the car a bit nicer that can be sourced from the older 9n3 model.

The engine comes without the NVH cover and i would really like to ad one as I dont like the coil packs to be so exposed The noise reduction would also be nice. Does anyone have the part numbers for this cover and what else is needed to fit it?

I also note that spring mounts in the front is different making lowering more difficult.

I have also bought a Cupra lip to fit as well as some 17 inch a line wheels

Armand
boost'd
Criminal Troll.
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Polo Vivo Gt

Post by boost'd »

Suspension is the same as a mk3 I have heard
EIGHTYSIXAUTOMOTIVE/ACD PERFORMANCE/RK MOTION
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

Welcome bud.

Check out hostility's ride thread. He has a SLAMMED vivo and he will be able to give you some info regarding the suspension...
A lot of the cosmetic parts are obviously the same but I believe the entire chassis is different. I stand to be corrected though
JonathanRS
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by JonathanRS »

Essentially the Vivo is just the older 9n3 in disguise - the 9n3 is 9n with different lights and a few panel changes - under the body is the same - they have done a cost cutting exercise to get a replacement for the citi golf . it has the same suspension as the 9n3 and the previous 9n. If you have ever actually looked at a Mk2/3 suspension and the Polo 9n/9n3/vivo - its completely different.
The early South african "Polo" 1996-2002 which is actually a Seat shared the Mk3 platform.
The Current polo cup cars were chaged from 9n to 9n3 to vivo by basic lights and bumper changes - same car.
I am sure most of the 9n3 parts would fit on the Vivo - some may have additional bits like trim and indicators in mirrors etc.
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

JonathanRS wrote:Essentially the Vivo is just the older 9n3 in disguise - the 9n3 is 9n with different lights and a few panel changes - under the body is the same - they have done a cost cutting exercise to get a replacement for the citi golf . it has the same suspension as the 9n3 and the previous 9n. If you have ever actually looked at a Mk2/3 suspension and the Polo 9n/9n3/vivo - its completely different.
The early South african "Polo" 1996-2002 which is actually a Seat shared the Mk3 platform.
The Current polo cup cars were chaged from 9n to 9n3 to vivo by basic lights and bumper changes - same car.
I am sure most of the 9n3 parts would fit on the Vivo - some may have additional bits like trim and indicators in mirrors etc.
Go try fit 9N3 spec suspension parts to the vivo, and then come back and tell me they the same...:wink:
hostility
↰ ↓ 4 ?
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: Anaconda
Car Model: 22"
Membership No: 1624

Post by hostility »

Thanks Brad.
Cosmetic-wise you gonna stuggle....you could fit 9n3 bumpers......but wont really be a vivo anymore, cup edition bumper could be considered....as max motorsport has the kit for a vivo.
Suspension wise, there are springs available..h&R is one i know of.
FK streetline coilovers for the 9n3 fit the vivo with no modifications, but all other brands like JOM etc all require you to modify your topmounts....so FK's are your best bet.
As Polony is trying to say.....9n3 suspension is completely different to the vivo setup...(9n3 springs will not fit a vivo)
Cupra lip will fit easily with some trimming.
The engine cover is available from VW that i know, I dont know the part number sorry.

So rims and a drop are your best bets....... :hi:
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

JonathanRS wrote:Essentially the Vivo is just the older 9n3 in disguise - the 9n3 is 9n with different lights and a few panel changes - under the body is the same - they have done a cost cutting exercise to get a replacement for the citi golf . it has the same suspension as the 9n3 and the previous 9n. If you have ever actually looked at a Mk2/3 suspension and the Polo 9n/9n3/vivo - its completely different.
Just to re iterate... the Vivo's suspension is not the same as the 9Nx. It is actually more similar to the 6R if not exactly the same (to save costs obviously).
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

VGTI wrote:
Just to re iterate... the Vivo's suspension is not the same as the 9Nx. It is actually more similar to the 6R if not exactly the same (to save costs obviously).
What did they change? I have never looked to be honest...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Neuk wrote:
VGTI wrote:
What did they change? I have never looked to be honest...
The LCA bush is now the same flying saucer type as the 6R... For the rest it still looks the same!
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

VGTI wrote:
Neuk wrote:What did they change? I have never looked to be honest...
The LCA bush is now the same flying saucer type as the 6R... For the rest it still looks the same!
Then why can you not use 9n/9n3 Polo shocks/springs in a Vivo? I have heard so many guys say that you can't use what we used on 9n/9n3 Polo's but if the only difference is one of the LCA bushes, I don't see the problem...
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

Neuk wrote:
VGTI wrote:
Neuk wrote:What did they change? I have never looked to be honest...
Then why can you not use 9n/9n3 Polo shocks/springs in a Vivo? I have heard so many guys say that you can't use what we used on 9n/9n3 Polo's but if the only difference is one of the LCA bushes, I don't see the problem...
likely the shock mounts changed shape so the springs are a different shape?

so the suspension may look the same but the springs etc don't
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

PoLonY wrote:likely the shock mounts changed shape so the springs are a different shape?

so the suspension may look the same but the springs etc don't
I honestly have no idea, never looked at a Vivo besides driving past them in traffic, would like to understand it a bit more...
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Impi
Cadet

Post by Impi »

Hi I got the cover today and it makes a huge difference.
Before
After
The Car
Will post the Pn later
Armand
bennit
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: Audi, VW
Car Model: B8 3.2 fsi quattro, 9n3 1.6
Membership No: missing

Post by bennit »

Nice ride. slam it bru!
:hijack: does the polos 9n3 have coil packs?
[img][IMG]http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a41 ... d945c6.jpg[/img][/img]
ACCIDENTS HAPPENS AT 100KM/H
dubdude
Cadet
Car Make: VW
Car Model: citi.com
Membership No: 1883

Post by dubdude »

Vivo uses same engine as 6R, shock tops are golf 4 so are c/a bushes. 9N uses normal ht leads no coil packs
Dejan

Current:
Citi.com - 2.0L 8v

MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

hi Armand :hi:
IMHO if i had a vivo i would put in a 9N3 backboard for a start. at my last jobthey had last-of-the-line 9N3's and brand new vivo's at the same time as courtesy cars. i drove a few of each and the vivo backboard rattled something stupid. also i prefer the pop-out cup holder in the 9N dash.

how about another thread showing us some of your older rides...... :grin: :wink:
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

i dont understand how they sell a car with out a engine cover? is it that big of a budget caR?
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
M3THANOL
Blue Bomber
Registered for: 11 years 9 months
Car Model: Golf Mk2...now....2.0L 8V AGG
Membership No: 1822

Post by M3THANOL »

yeah, couldn't they at least make the head look nice like they used to do on cars before they got lazy and just covered them up with covers!!
I'm literally can't evening!
http://www.iamsecond.com/

Current: The Blue Bomber
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=151592

1/4 mile: 16.5s @ 133km/h (ODI-2013/10/27)
1km: 165km/h (ODI-2013/10/27)
Impi
Cadet

Post by Impi »

Hi I did some more work on the Polo.
Changed the GT sticker....
Added a Cupra lip

regards
Armand
vivo
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: vivo

Post by vivo »

hey guys how much was it for the engine top cover and do u have the part number by any chance.i have a polo vivo fitted jom coilies but the front top shock mounts dont fit any ideas on wat are the correct springs or can the those mounts be replaced thanks
poloz
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: polo vivo

Post by poloz »

hey guys

i stay in capetown and i just want to know where i can find a cupra lip and led fog lights for my vivo

also i want to find out from hostility what he did to his side mirrors. cuz they look pimp

and last would it be worth putting the vivo gt bodykit on my 5 door vivo

VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: E90 LCI 320d M-Sport

Post by VW 'John Deere' TDI »

poloz wrote:hey guys

i stay in capetown and i just want to know where i can find a cupra lip and led fog lights for my vivo

also i want to find out from hostility what he did to his side mirrors. cuz they look pimp

Cupra lip can be bought at a VW dealership for something like R550-R600 last time I checked.

WRT Hostility's side mirrors.... I'm sure he sprayed them using gloss paint.
Current: BMW 320d E90 LCi M-Sport - Yin & Yang
Ex: VW Polo 9n3 1.9TDI Sportline - John Deere

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
Fat-Cat
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Make: VW, Audi
Car Model: S3 8L

Post by Fat-Cat »

just thought i'd share some ideas, from a friends car
current
Mk1 82" - under construction
Mk5 GTi - BWA 2009

ex rides
Mk2 2L 8v throttles, sold
2003 A3 1.8T 132kw, sold
Mk1 project, sold
1979 mk1 16v FAT-CAT - Sold
2002 Audi S3 8L, sold
hostility
↰ ↓ 4 ?
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: Anaconda
Car Model: 22"
Membership No: 1624

Post by hostility »

VW 'John Deere' TDI wrote:
poloz wrote:hey guys

Cupra lip can be bought at a VW dealership for something like R550-R600 last time I checked.

WRT Hostility's side mirrors.... I'm sure he sprayed them using gloss paint.
Yeah...standard VAG black magic with added pearl.......
SUM DP 4 GP
Major
Registered for: 15 years 4 months
Car Model: MK5 KO4
Membership No: 1394

Post by SUM DP 4 GP »

From what I know, the Polo 9N3 JOM coilies will fit the Vivo, it requires a modification to the top shock mount. (So the 9n3 is not the same as the Vivo suspension)
The Polo 6R has the exact same setup suspension wise as the Vivo though, so a Polo 6R JOM kit fits perfectly on a Vivo with no Mods required.