Some urgent help please

Romez
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Some urgent help please

Post by Romez »

Hi guys

About 2 weeks ago i purchased a G4 1.6 SR 2002 Model. The problem is the day i picked up the vehicle and checked oil n water there was a problem. the engine was a pint short and there was like about a pint of oil in the water bottle. i removed the water bottle and cleansed it but this morning i noticed the oil is back. i did not do a radiator flush as yet. The engine does not lose oil and neither do i lose power but for the 2 weeks iv had the car i have travelled about 50km per week and the water bottle gets dried out. this morning the check coolant warning was on so i filled water but the warning did not go off even after a 5 km drive. Do i have a big problem here?

The second is that this cab is using bout R200 for a 50 km trip and i dont get the expected pulling power of a 1.6 on 1st and 2nd gear. A mac suggested i do a throttle body service...any ideas? 175600 on the clock. last service done at 165000km.

Any help is appreciated.
(this is my 1st VDub)
Bird87_ZA
Major-General
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CrossPolo 1.6TDI
Membership No: 1515

Re: Some urgent help please

Post by Bird87_ZA »

Could be that you have a issue with your head gasket I thing, which allows oil into the water. Not very clued up, but I think that's what's causing the issue.
2001 Bantam 1.6 Lesuire - RIP
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline - SOLD
2007 Polo 1.9 TDI Highline - STOLEN
2011 Polo 1.6 TDI Cross - SOLD
2014 Golf 7 SV 1.2TSI
Neuk wrote:A pole, doth not a lie tell...

Web Developer by day, Couch Potato by night.
zaleonardz
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 3 months
Membership No: missing

Post by zaleonardz »

+1 on the headgasket.
Romez
Enlisted

Post by Romez »

theres no water residue on the oil cap though? is it possible that a stupid bowzer boy filled the oil in the wrong place and its now circulating. But then again why is it using up so much of water?
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Some urgent help please

Post by Sinbad »

Head gasket.

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 20 years
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

Heat exchanger?
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
graham savage
Colonel
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Model: Caddy's, Mk2's, Mk4, Ford etc
Membership No: 803

Post by graham savage »

Can very easily be the heat exchanger BUT more that likely the headgasket is blown and you are getting combustion junk into the coolant

Dare I say a cracked cylinder head will do the same...
FRANNA
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by FRANNA »

Hey there! you could have a oil cooler problem with oil mixing to coolant!You will need to replace this first and flush the cooalnt system a few times to get rid of the oil in the water!
The 1.6 is not the strongest of 1.6 and is know to be a little donkey!
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

If you are loosing water and cant see water in the oil, then it means that the head gasket is blown.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Could be the oil coolr. Remember the system pressure on oil is a lot higher so if you get oil in the water but no water in the oil then start with changing the heat exchanger. Vw heads really don't crack easily so if the heat exchanger is not the issue then head gasket will be the next suspect.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Romez
Enlisted

Post by Romez »

Okie so I flushed the radiator on Saturday and cleaned out the throttle body. Lots of oil came out. Bottle has a few specs of oil now.(Probably needed a double flush). Better response with the throttle bottle cleaned out. The water usage is due to a leak with the heat gauge sensor. (The rubber thing is worn out). Still concerned bout the high fuel usage and lack of pulling power.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

High fuel usgae and lack of pulling power will never change. Thatsadlybis 1.6 golf 4 and uoubshould have felt that in the test drive. Live with ot or resell.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Ntsunguzi
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Ntsunguzi »

sorry evrybody bt am seatng wth a problem here also, I bought ths jetta A4 2004 model 1.6-SR when I test drive th car it ws so light on fuel bt lately it so heavy. I dnt knw what 2 do bcz macs speaks difrently. some say its th Oxygine sensors nd some say its th Catalyic Converter
GJulius
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by GJulius »

Sorry for replying on hear but how do i post a topic on hesr. New to the forum?
GJulius
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by GJulius »

Just a question for the Diesel Machanics. Can a cylinder head cracked within 3 weeks of having a car. This is now 3 weeks since buying the car ir is it actually impossible unless you really abused the car within those 3 weeks. I bought a tdi and experienced heave coolant loss within 3 weeks. Took the car to VW only to be told that the cylinderhead is crack and the dealership tells me that i drove the car warm which caused it to break?!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Well its not impossible, any part can fail at anytime, like a thermostat for example which will cause the engine to overheat if its stuck closed. If the car did overheat then u most likely did crack the head - otherwise i doubt it.

How much coolant is it taking?

Do u see any leaks?

Is the oil and water mixing?

There's not many places coolant can go. It will either leak out the system somewhere, go into the sump and mix with oil or leak into the combustion chamber and in most cases burn/drip out the exhaust.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: