MOST WANTED
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Make: VW GOLF
Car Model: MK1 16V ABFt
Membership No: missing

Abf turbo

Post by MOST WANTED »

So I take the car for a spin last night and when starting it to go home there's no excellaration. Opened the bonnet and found that the xcellarator cable melted on the turbo. Decided to turn the throttle around and drill and tap the intake so the cable is far from the turbo.... What do u guys think or any better solutions will be a big help?
2L 16V ABFt- 180kw @ 0.8 bar @ KAR

young gun
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Jetta mk2 cli

Re: Abf turbo

Post by young gun »

SRI??
VWicked
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: Golf 2 GTi
Membership No: 1492

Post by VWicked »

Accelerator...

Anyway is there no way to re-route the cable? Do you have a pic of your setup
Have you had your bottle of Hatorade today?

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

Reroute or wrap the cable in many layers of fiberglass insulation.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Not the nicest of exhaust manifolds so perhaps if you can turn the tb over it will be better yes. All you have to do is make the bracket work.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
turbodub
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by turbodub »

ditch the stock intake and buy a custom short runner intake .
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

No please don't do that. You will lose a lot of torque. I personally hate those short runner manifolds and will do whatever it takes to use the normal manifold. Clement i'll show you another way to solve that problem tomorrow...
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Gplay
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Model: mk1 G60 Turbo

Post by Gplay »

panic-mechanic wrote:No please don't do that. You will lose a lot of torque. I personally hate those short runner manifolds and will do whatever it takes to use the normal manifold. Clement i'll show you another way to solve that problem tomorrow...

i have a short runner manifold but i do not suffer with low down torque... i had the car tuned till 4200rpm at .05bar car made 271 torque. i can literally be on fifth gear n slow down to 40km/h on a hill an then accelerate without even having to change down n car gets up to speed no problem...
G60 Turbo (in progress)
Monster
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Monster »

Gplay wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote:No please don't do that. You will lose a lot of torque. I personally hate those short runner manifolds and will do whatever it takes to use the normal manifold. Clement i'll show you another way to solve that problem tomorrow...

i have a short runner manifold but i do not suffer with low down torque... i had the car tuned till 4200rpm at .05bar car made 271 torque. i can literally be on fifth gear n slow down to 40km/h on a hill an then accelerate without even having to change down n car gets up to speed no problem...
Yip, what does Panic know!!!!
BMW k1200RS
Gplay
Cadet

Post by Gplay »

Monster wrote:
Gplay wrote:

Yip, what does Panic know!!!!

errrr and that was for?????... im not arguing to what he is saying... maybe iv done something right when i made my plenum i dont no... but why does short runner manifolds suffer loss of torque???
G60 Turbo (in progress)
turbodub
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by turbodub »

i also have a rather rough short runner intake and i make 370nm of torque @ about 4800 rpm and 220kw at 1 bar - i am sure that there are benefits to be had due to less heat build up and a shorter distance between intercooler and throttle body, you can also run a much bigger throttle body . My only issue is that i do not have a warmup regulater so the car is a pig till it is warmish .Too much torque also breaks things .....i was also led to believe that on a turbocharged car due to the pressurised air runner length/tuning is not really an issue ...and the majority of modern turbo cars use intakes that are short runner , 1.8t , ford st etc etc
Gplay
Cadet

Post by Gplay »

turbodub wrote:i also have a rather rough short runner intake and i make 370nm of torque @ about 4800 rpm and 220kw at 1 bar - i am sure that there are benefits to be had due to less heat build up and a shorter distance between intercooler and throttle body, you can also run a much bigger throttle body . My only issue is that i do not have a warmup regulater so the car is a pig till it is warmish .Too much torque also breaks things .....i was also led to believe that on a turbocharged car due to the pressurised air runner length/tuning is not really an issue ...and the majority of modern turbo cars use intakes that are short runner , 1.8t , ford st etc etc

Panic do you have dyno sheet showing us the difference in power when using short runner & normal???

im not being funny but if you do please shed some light on this topic....

sorry for the :hijack:
G60 Turbo (in progress)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I don't have dyno sheets for every single thing that i have learned in life no. But have you come form a long runner manifold to a short one and thus know that your car didn't make more torque. You say you have lots of torque but do you know for certain it can't have more? Oh and by the way aren't yours an 8v?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10