Eternal Newbie Post Whore
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK3 GTI 16V
Membership No: missing

Polo 9n3 heater issue

Post by ShaunTdi »

Hi Guys

Posted a while back about my wifes polo had 1,2 issues which where sorted out (thanks for the help :hi: ). But i dont know how to fix the heater issue she is having.

The dial that changes from cold to hot does not seem to do anything. Stays on cold the whether its turned to hot or not. I checked up on the interwebz and got this

Is this my problem and is it really THAT hard to fix?

If not what could it be??

TIA
Shaun
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Re: Polo 9n3 heater issue

Post by MeanTdi »

I could only find these:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/ ... 74029.html

"Ok, sounds like there's a problem inside the car with the way the heater directs the airflow. Twist the hot/cold knob, whilst looking under the dash behind the heater controls. Best view would be from the drivers footwell. You should see the cable moving, and this in turn will lift a flap (which you can't see, as it is buried in the whole heater casing). Check the end of the cable is attached and you can see it moving.

This sounds like its going to be tricky to diagnose, and if the heater box is faulty, then it's a pain to get to I think. If its the same as the mk3, it means the dash needs to come out. "

For a combi, but it may give you an idea...

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/ ... 56055.html

"There is a bowden cable connected to the back of the temp selector. If you are lucky it has simply fallen out/unclipped itself.
ETKA is showing 7H2 819 837 C as the cable on illustration 820-05.

To service
- remove facia trim
- undo 4x bolts holding selector control
- access cables "
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

Marco if you turn the heater dial does it feel very smooth or can you feel the dial turning something on the other side. My wifes one feels as though it is moving freely without being attached to anything

Thanks for the links ill have looksee now
ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

How do you remove the dash facia by the heater controls??? Does it just clip off?

Scared to break it when I pull.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Shaun, I may be wrong but had the same problem on my polo.... there is a wire with a little hook that clips onto the back of the switch unti.... mine had popped off and so when you turned the switch, it was not moving the wire to open the heat.... if that makes sense....

Hopefully it is something small like that?
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

ShaunTdi wrote:Marco if you turn the heater dial does it feel very smooth or can you feel the dial turning something on the other side. My wifes one feels as though it is moving freely without being attached to anything

Thanks for the links ill have looksee now
If you turn the dial you feel a bit of resistence and will hear movement below as it changes the heat in the core.
Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

ShaunTdi wrote:How do you remove the dash facia by the heater controls??? Does it just clip off?

Scared to break it when I pull.
Look below to find two screws IIRC...
Marco

Tander
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Leon Cupra
Membership No: 1713

Post by Tander »

When I try my heater dial, it feels free / no resistance. But Hot / cold works just find.

Think the switch is attached to a motor? (Obviously by an electrical wire )

Current Rides:
2008 SEAT Leon Cupra - Banshee

Exes:
2006 Polo 9N3 - 1.6i
2003 Citi.com 1.3
2003 Opel Corsa Lite
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

The only cable there is is for the vent flap position.
The heater is controlled through a motor.
Get on ya back in the passanger footwell look up next to the air box you will see a motor with two gears.
When you move the dials the motor will move.9 out of 10 times the top gear on the flap clips out.Clip the gear in and see.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

Right so I have taken the front facia by the dials off and everything looks hundreds the dial does in fact have some resistance so like Morne (Thanks :hug: ) has said it is possibly the clip that is out.

Tried to look under the dash on the passenger side while turning the heat control dial but I see nothing moving. Dont really know where to look but I do not see or hear anything at all. Would it be quite noticable if you turn the dial Morne??
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

ShaunTdi wrote:Right so I have taken the front facia by the dials off and everything looks hundreds the dial does in fact have some resistance so like Morne (Thanks :hug: ) has said it is possibly the clip that is out.

Tried to look under the dash on the passenger side while turning the heat control dial but I see nothing moving. Dont really know where to look but I do not see or hear anything at all. Would it be quite noticable if you turn the dial Morne??
You will have to remove the glove box to get better access to the "airbox".

Three torx screws inside glove box and I think about 8 underneath. First you take out the lower cover (two screws) then the little shelve below the glove box (3 screws and you let it hang) and the the last three that hold the glove box.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

VGTI wrote:
ShaunTdi wrote:Right so I have taken the front facia by the dials off and everything looks hundreds the dial does in fact have some resistance so like Morne (Thanks :hug: ) has said it is possibly the clip that is out.

You will have to remove the glove box to get better access to the "airbox".

Three torx screws inside glove box and I think about 8 underneath. First you take out the lower cover (two screws) then the little shelve below the glove box (3 screws and you let it hang) and the the last three that hold the glove box.
Is it possible the 9n and 9n3 are different? I have taken out so many screws but the bloddy thing will not come out. Im thinking I will have to take the whole frikken dash out!
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

ShaunTdi wrote:
Is it possible the 9n and 9n3 are different? I have taken out so many screws but the bloddy thing will not come out. Im thinking I will have to take the whole frikken dash out!
No it should be the same. What are you trying to take out?
ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

Trying to get to the heater thing to see if the clip has come out.
ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

There are no screws inside the glove box like you said. I have removed the tray below the cubby and about 5 screws that hold the cubby but the thing is not lose at all.
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

ShaunTdi wrote:There are no screws inside the glove box like you said. I have removed the tray below the cubby and about 5 screws that hold the cubby but the thing is not lose at all.
There are 3 screws inside the glove box, one long one by the latch in the middle and two to the side. It is close to edge at the top.

ShaunTdi

Post by ShaunTdi »

Ahhh thanks did not look there. Ill take a look tonight.
paparolex
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by paparolex »

I am trying to sort out this problem on my Vivo. I will post my solution when I've resolved the issue