cmpelser
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK4 TDI
Membership No: missing

golf 4 tdi cambelt kit

Post by cmpelser »

Got myself a cambelt kit from goldwagen today! The one without the waterpump. If all goes well, I'll atempt to replace it this long weekend.
Any tips???
How long on ave. Should it take to insall (this will be my first one)
And how to do the vag-com timing?
1.4i citi Golf 2000.
1.9TDI Golf 4 2001.
vag-com user.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Re: golf 4 tdi cambelt kit

Post by Killerwatt »

Not too difficult to do bud.
Helps if you have a diy or a haynes availible. Should takea good few hours, but it's not a job you want to rush.
Only problem I had doing mine on the 1.8t is the engine mount is a bit tricky to get out. But with some jacking of the motor it comes out ok.
Otherwise, just make sure you keep the sprockets at TDC and you should be good.
SilverFox
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf MK3 GSX, Golf IV TDi

Post by SilverFox »

Have a look at this http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/a ... -index.htm for an excellent timing belt DIY.
You need to register on site and make a post in order to view the second part of the timing belt job. The injection pump timing via vagcom is explained in part 2.
The correct way of doing the timing belt involves removing of the camshaft sprocket and loosening of the pump sprocket. You will see that it is not as 'simple' as a 1.8T job.

A few specials tools are needed to do the job, but you can also have a look at this video for some shortcuts and tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276rVBGQloQ
Use at own risk. I have done my timing belt about a month ago without any special tools. Have to say that the job would have been easier with the special tools.

Other people have done the timing belt without removing the camshaft sprocket, but lots of people advise against it. I didn't use a puller, just knocked it of with a punch. Hole for the punch was already in the cover on my car.

Good luck.
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

Make sure you lock the pump and losen the three bolts on it.
Lock the back of the cam shaft at vacume pump side and losen off the sprocket.
Make sure the cranckis on its mark on the fly wheel side.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
cmpelser
Cadet

Post by cmpelser »

Thanks guys! I'm half way there. Yesterday I stipped everything, today I'm putting it all back together. It is quite a job!!!
One thing I noticed with removal of the old belt is that the tensioner was tightened the wrong way, (anti-clockwise)!!!
From what I've seen its got to be tensioned clock-wise.
1.4i citi Golf 2000.
1.9TDI Golf 4 2001.
vag-com user.
cmpelser
Cadet

Post by cmpelser »

Pump is locked with a 6mm dril bit and the three bolts are loose.
I got the cam shaft locked with a 4.5mm allen key, fits nice and snug in the groove and level with the top of the head.

I got some new bolts in the kit, I think one is for the large roller and one is for the small roller.
Then I got 2 new studs, do I need to change these studs??? One looks like the tensioner stud, and the other is the small roller stud.
Also my torque wrench is in NM what bolts need torquing and how much?
1.4i citi Golf 2000.
1.9TDI Golf 4 2001.
vag-com user.
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 6 months
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

cmpelser wrote:Pump is locked with a 6mm dril bit and the three bolts are loose.
I got the cam shaft locked with a 4.5mm allen key, fits nice and snug in the groove and level with the top of the head.

I got some new bolts in the kit, I think one is for the large roller and one is for the small roller.
Then I got 2 new studs, do I need to change these studs??? One looks like the tensioner stud, and the other is the small roller stud.
Also my torque wrench is in NM what bolts need torquing and how much?
Dont forget to loosen the cam sprocket as Morne mentioned. Will check later at home for torque settings.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
cmpelser
Cadet

Post by cmpelser »

Cam is loose. Had to dril a hole and I used a punch from the back of the sprocket.
Thanks for the help guys!
Hopfully want to be done by midday today.
1.4i citi Golf 2000.
1.9TDI Golf 4 2001.
vag-com user.
cmpelser
Cadet

Post by cmpelser »

Cambelt done! Car is running nicely, I just need to still set the pump timing with the laptop. (How long can I drive it without setting it?)
And I also need a new serpintine belt...
1.4i citi Golf 2000.
1.9TDI Golf 4 2001.
vag-com user.
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel

You can run it as long as what you want as long if there is no issue with starting and power.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

robinwisse@gmail.com
cmpelser
Cadet

Post by cmpelser »

No problem! I've done a second belt change since this post! Please ask if you need any further info. Glad to help!
1.4i citi Golf 2000.
1.9TDI Golf 4 2001.
vag-com user.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

I have a timing belt change coming up within the next two, three years... I'll keep your kind offer in mind. The one thing that seems like a challenge, is to get that engine mounting out with only a DIY set-up. No trolley jack to lift the engine... I have some random questions/comments.

1) Did the camshaft sprocket pop off relatively easily using a punch?
2) The tip to use a 4.5 mm Allen key for locking the camshaft seems very useful.
3) What did you pay for the kit (with or without water pump)?

I recently removed my VE pump to re-seal its head against the body. For re-setting the pump timing, I turned the engine forward until the 6 mm drill bit would just go into the pump, and then I used the flywheel timing mark to check the start-of-injection. Before the repair, it was about 0.5° after TDC (5 mm past TDC on the flywheel), so I advanced this slightly, as close to TDC as I could get it, and the cold start has improved significantly. I'll probably have it checked with VCDS sometime.

4) Re-fitting the spring clamp on the lower intercooler pipe fitting (below the right-hand headlight) was a REAL pain in the nuts. Any tips?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

1) you don't HAVE to remove the sprocket and most of the time you cannot get it oof unless you remove the cam and press the damn thing in a press.
2) make decent marking and you can check the cam for 0 timing by removing the vaccum pump. The slot must be absolutley level/ parallel to the head
3)ask me at the time what we can get it for or mail breadcrumb for a price.
4) yes change it for a normal screw clamp or get the correct remote cable type clamp tool.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Much obliged, Stephan.

Quick follow-up on no. 2:
My camshaft sprocket has obviously been removed before, because the original notch is no-where close to TDC. The only references I have are tippex marks left by the previous mechanic, i.e. I can only return the sprocket to the closest tooth.
So if one leaves the sprocket on the camshaft, it could be mis-timed up to half a tooth early or late. How sensitive is valve timing for such errors?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

If it was moved before then sure you rather want to correct it. But believe me they don't just jump off.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel

VAG Fan wrote:Much obliged, Stephan.

Quick follow-up on no. 2:
My camshaft sprocket has obviously been removed before, because the original notch is no-where close to TDC. The only references I have are tippex marks left by the previous mechanic, i.e. I can only return the sprocket to the closest tooth.
So if one leaves the sprocket on the camshaft, it could be mis-timed up to half a tooth early or late. How sensitive is valve timing for such errors?
Is there a notch on your cam shaft sprocket ? You can put the sprocket in any position as long as your cam is locked in place and the sprocket can turn freely with the bolt that holds the sprocket to the cam is loose. Just double check the crank mark is still on its mark. Then when the crank, pump and cam is still on their marks then tighten the tensioner and the cam bolt. Check the marks again then turn the engine about 2 to 3 rotations and check the marks again.
Robin

robinwisse@gmail.com
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Thanks to both of you.

Robin, yes, I was rather surprised to see it, too! But there definitely is a notch. It's a radial line that is scored / pressed into the side of the sprocket that faces the suspension dome. My cam cover is still off, so I might take a quick snapshot and post it here. In my case, at TDC for cyl. 1, the notch was at about 8:00 when looking from the dome onto the sprocket

Given the conical fitting without any key, I'm not sure why VW notched that sprocket... And anyway, I couldn't find any markings on the inside cam cover that one could use to align the notch to.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel

VAG Fan wrote:Thanks to both of you.

Robin, yes, I was rather surprised to see it, too! But there definitely is a notch. It's a radial line that is scored / pressed into the side of the sprocket that faces the suspension dome. My cam cover is still off, so I might take a quick snapshot and post it here. In my case, at TDC for cyl. 1, the notch was at about 8:00 when looking from the dome onto the sprocket

Given the conical fitting without any key, I'm not sure why VW notched that sprocket... And anyway, I couldn't find any markings on the inside cam cover that one could use to align the notch to.
Exactly
Would like to see that setup with the notch.
Robin

robinwisse@gmail.com
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

The nothch means nothing. They simply re-use an existing pulley which on another engine the marking meant something. there are no markings on the head for it to line up with and you can put it wherever you feel like if you have undone the pulley. There is even a machined keyway for a key on the cam but it was simply not used so just ignore it.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Intuitively I would expect the sprocket also to have a machined keyway. Then at least the notch would make sense for another engine.

Anyhow, Robin, I'll take a pic just for curiosity if I get a chance.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -