polo power steering problems

Kappie
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2017 Polo 1.2 TSi

Re: polo power steering problems

Post by Kappie »

Where do I check the fluid? I looked everywhere and in the manual but couldn't find anything.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

im not sure exactly where it is on a 2011 polo, but check under the battery. U have to remove the battery and the battery tray to see it

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Kappie
Enlisted

Post by Kappie »

Removed battery and tray but nothing there. I bought it second hand but I think it was one of the first "new" shape Polo sedans.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

U wont be able to see the reservoir from the top when the battery tray is removed. All u will see is a small green cap.

Easiest way to find it, trace the piping from the steering rack, u will see exactly where it goes to. If the pipe is going beside the gearbox then the pump is most probably in the same location as older polos. Its actually situated behind the bumper on the passenger side. You wont be able to see it from the wheel arch coz the fender liner will be blocking it. If u have fogs, check through the fog grill and u will probably see it.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Kappie
Enlisted

Post by Kappie »

There are no pipes from the steering rack and the fog grill is solid.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Oh ok unfortunately i dont know then.. wait for somebody else to reply.

Kappie
Enlisted

Post by Kappie »

Got reply from the dealer.

The stiffness comes from the universals on the power steering shaft. The reason the quote is so high is because the power steering motor, shaft and universals are a complete unit, they cannot replace components on it.

Anybody have experienced this as well?
Stef98
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by Stef98 »

Can someone pleas help me to locate where the earth strap is?
Kenté
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

Post by Kenté »

Hi guys I'm new here and I would like some advice, I have a 2010 polo Vivo.. So I want to upgrade my power steering system to the later 2012 and up polo Vivo power steering system, is it possible to to do it by just remove and install and plug it in or must the harness also be changed?
Manels
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Post by Manels »

Check your fuses on the battery
Sherry20
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by Sherry20 »

Hi I need some advise please have a polo 1.6 comfortline 2006 my airbag light came on and 2 days later powersteering light on and no powersteering at all checked all fuses inside and metal strip fuses not blown, new battery in car don't know what else any help
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Sherry20 wrote:Hi I need some advise please have a polo 1.6 comfortline 2006 my airbag light came on and 2 days later powersteering light on and no powersteering at all checked all fuses inside and metal strip fuses not blown, new battery in car don't know what else any help
Read the previous posts in this thread.

The fuses become cracked and lose contact.

If you are not confident with a DIY, go see a mechanic or auto electrician near you that you trust or comes recommended.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Opoku
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by Opoku »

Please any help
(1) Changed my steering Rack with a friend's own which was working on his car before Stripping
(2) The steering is still hard. The sensor showed on dashboard but we replaced the sensor with the old one and it's gone
(3) we have checked all fuses and they are fine
(4) The pump pumps oil to the steering Rack but steering still hard..
(5) please any advise
LouwtjieLouw
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months
Car Model: POLO 9N3

Post by LouwtjieLouw »

:iagree:
YOU SAVED ME ALOT OF MONEY RIGHT KNOW ,ALSO HAVE THIS PROBLEM JUST CHECKED MY CAR AND THE FUSE IS BLOWN ... THANKS
shaney-gti wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:50 am thnx guys problem sorted, the frikking flat 50amp fuse on the battery was blown, i uesed a "under the tree mac" and he used his launch diagnostic machine and it picked up a fault saying communication error then we checked the fuses on the battery and found that to be blown, all that stress and headache for a simple fuse replacement for R32-00 lol and the agents said i need to replace the pump at a cost of like 20k..............how cud vw not pick that up surprises me hey, thanx guys
markfish888
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: B7A4 -JETTA Mk2
Membership No: 1787

Post by markfish888 »

Are you running car without the bottom splash/aero tray ?

Clean all connectors with Electrical Contact cleaner, ( White residue and or Rust needs to be manually cleaned)
Check that pins are seated properly in the connector also

and protect with a Suitable product (q20, WD40 Spark etc.
MK2's dont die, they just get faster!!

DILLYGAF
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by DILLYGAF »

Polo 9N 2003 BAH
I have recently purchase the above mentioned vehicle, power steering light was on, although working, it required a greater force to steer, especially when stationary and locking wheel completely, very stiff when for example pulling into a parking bay at a tight angle. First thing I noticed was the red ATF in the gear pump reservoir. I disconnected the return pipe and turned the wheel left to right and drained it before filling up with febi chf11s. Luckily no damage to seals on rack and pinion. I checked fuses, and earth and continuity, all fine. I then took the vehicle to 2 mechanic freinds to run diagnosis via OBD II, one Bluetooth version that connects to phone via app- non compatible, other one was a Vgate VS450, although the Vgate detected the vehicle and could give live data, however it has no features for pickup up power steering fault codes. Luckily a third freind Keith Rose who owns and operates Keith's Auto Service in Killarney Gardens could run a comprehensive diagnosis of all functions on the vehicle with his diagnostic scanner and we could pick up that it was the G250 sensor. I then purchased a brand new one from goldwagen, Hella brand, same as OEM, item code A3789, cost R1565. I jacked the car up on drivers side, removed the wheel and could locate and access to replace- note that you will need a T20 torx with either an extension and swivel, or in my case a spring adapter extension to reach the angle of the screws, once I replaced it, everything worked perfectly and light went away automatically. The old one had a worn seal, seems like water and dust from a gravel road got to it, and it had the typical smell of electronics malfunctioned/ short circuited.
ImageImageImage