VR6 vs ABF which is better motor....

Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Re: VR6 vs ABF which is better motor....

Post by Donavan »

7 years later?
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Donavan wrote:7 years later?
2011 is very thankful.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
vwdubnam
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1.6 VIVO
Membership No: missing

Post by vwdubnam »

i would choose a abf for mk1 conversion any day, but with all conversions , remind yourself what you are building and your budget.

quick bang for the easiest conversion: 2l 8v. start friday. doing brannas burnouts by saturday evening with your buds. reliable and easy to diy with only a few bucks.

abf: this is when you want a larger tuning capability. want to keep the car. dyno days, 1/4 runs. aftermarket ecu. more than a dailey. (forget about family holidays)

vr6: i would say it's more showy. not really concerned about fuel. and not a real 1/4mile second chaser. but in it for something unique and street cred. show and gleam events.

but build a screamer! 2.0 (16v throttles vivo top, higher flow than a abf) with an insane redline, two sets of injectors. ethanol beast
moegamad
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 months

Post by moegamad »

bennit wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm I was paging through a mag and noticed that an abf motor is more pricier than a voora, why? Demand perhaps? Now i would like to know which is better motor overall, in terms of modding, and bang for buck. And how much are these motors rated standard, correct me if im wrong, vr6 128kw/240nm & abf 110kw? Maintanance wise? Abf parts, are they accessable?
Hi guys anyone there
I have a vr6 3rd and 4th giving probs so got a gti 2.0 16v box must change belhouse and struggling as I'm doing it self but wanted to know with the gti 02A 16 valve cable shift box be any different in the drive? I is this idea even good? Will the box allow the vr6 to hit it's top end without box or motor getting hurt?
Will the ratio be shorter and cost me more fuel or lower and less fuel? Can reply on WhatsApp if better 0733098229 Capetown area
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

moegamad wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:08 pm
bennit wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm I was paging through a mag and noticed that an abf motor is more pricier than a voora, why? Demand perhaps? Now i would like to know which is better motor overall, in terms of modding, and bang for buck. And how much are these motors rated standard, correct me if im wrong, vr6 128kw/240nm & abf 110kw? Maintanance wise? Abf parts, are they accessable?
Hi guys anyone there
I have a vr6 3rd and 4th giving probs so got a gti 2.0 16v box must change belhouse and struggling as I'm doing it self but wanted to know with the gti 02A 16 valve cable shift box be any different in the drive? I is this idea even good? Will the box allow the vr6 to hit it's top end without box or motor getting hurt?
Will the ratio be shorter and cost me more fuel or lower and less fuel? Can reply on WhatsApp if better 0733098229 Capetown area
5 year old thread revival.

The 02a 16v box for starters will not fit onto vr6 motor as bolt paterns are different on bell housing. The 02a 16v have a shorter final drive (thus higher rpm and fuel consumption) and different gearing. You also don’t mention gearbox codes.

You can build mixed ratios from the 02a16v and vr6 boxes if you know what you are doing as they can fit in both casings and shafts depending whether this is a racecar or daily. For a daily I recommend you look at the gearbox code currently installed and find same code gearbox.