Wheel Whore
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2007 Polo 1.9Tdi
Membership No: missing

Change the main beam bulb on driver side Headlight

Post by Enjay2007 »

Hi Guys

I drive a 2007 Polo 1.9TDi Highline Sedan, the driver's side Main Beam light bulb has gone bust and needs to be replaced, so I wnet out and got the correct size bulbs, but when it comes to replacing the bulb I can't see a way to replace the bulb on the Driver's side as the oil filter sits right behind the light making it impossible for me to get my hand in there to even remove the old bulb. The only way I can see how to do this is to remove the Head light completely, but that seems like a lot of work for just changing a bulb, any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Enjay2007
Membership No: 1592

Current:
Polo TDI 96kw

Ex:
Velociti 1.6i (SOLD)
Citi 1.4i (SOLD)
Uno 1.4 Turbo (SOLD)
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Re: Change the main beam bulb on driver side Headlight

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Enjay2007 wrote:Hi Guys

I drive a 2007 Polo 1.9TDi Highline Sedan, the driver's side Main Beam light bulb has gone bust and needs to be replaced, so I wnet out and got the correct size bulbs, but when it comes to replacing the bulb I can't see a way to replace the bulb on the Driver's side as the oil filter sits right behind the light making it impossible for me to get my hand in there to even remove the old bulb. The only way I can see how to do this is to remove the Head light completely, but that seems like a lot of work for just changing a bulb, any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Enjay2007
Diesel filter :grin: :grin:
You can squeeze your hand in there but it woud not be easy , easiest way , remove bumper and headlight
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

It is indeed possible...

If you know how: 30 seconds
If you don't know how: Around 2 - 3 hours filled with cursing, swearing, tantrums, blood, bruises, punching walls, throwing toys, etc.

:grin:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

It is possible and easier if you remove the filter:

http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... impossible
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
magic_wand
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by magic_wand »

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but something I had the same issue with since I bought my POLO 1.9tdi back in 2006. For some reason my right bulb keeps going and it is a ...urm female dog...to get to. I take it you talking about the arrangement in pic 2. Just had to do it again today and surched for a solution online as my usual trick was the 2-3hour method of removing half the motor starting at the diesel filter. Saw on here the same as on all other blogs, either strip the inside or the bumper etc. So me went to sit down and found an easy (sorta) way. And here it is. Time 15min + 1 hour. 15min to do the job and 1 hour to find the nut you dropped in the grass. Tools needed as per pic 1. 10mm socket, T15 spline bit and optional something I picked up by accident a pipe removal tool. Trying to keep it short from here ill try to make sense in steps referring to pic 2...
-loosen the black vacuum box at the back, 3 10mm bolts and pull it up. (dont let that bolt fall in the tall grass)
-remove the 2 double ended screws under that bracket witch loosens the expansion bottle. Take off the small overflow pipe from the expansion bottle at the top and the sensor connector.
-Lift the bottle out the way, no need to remove the bottom pipe.
- now theres enough space to get your hand in, remove the dust cover, LOOSEN the two T15 spline screws...DONT REMOVE.. twist the bulb connector
anti cock wise and remove
-Replace bulb and reverse the order to re-assemble....15min done

Hope this help some guys

Hope this help some guys

https://postimg.cc/image/wkllvys2r/
https://postimg.cc/image/47q45o6eb/
Last edited by magic_wand on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Host them somewhere like postimg and paste the links.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.