Gladwinn
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: VW Polo 6R 1.6

Jetta 3 fuses/Relays

Post by Gladwinn »

Hi guys, please help.

When I set foot to my accelerator there is a (tick) sound coming from one of the fuses/relays. When my headlights are also on, they don't show that bright( got nightbreakers h4), :???: but as soon as i accelerate then the lights get better. would this be a relay/fuse I need to look at or would there be a earth wire somewhere making k@k....

There is a set of relays just above the fuses and relays in image as shown in this link. There is "orange" like one i took out as it was hot and will be replacing this today. Tested teh headlights last night .. still the same ...

http://www.photocategory.com/picview.ph ... %3F3949080
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Re: Jetta 3 fuses/Relays

Post by Killerwatt »

mk3's dont have a headlight relay from the factory. But adding one will improve your light output alot. See if it ticks with everything switched off. Its probably something mechanical near the peddle
Gladwinn
Cadet

Post by Gladwinn »

Thanks Killerwatt ... yipp still ticks when lights are swithed off ..... what would cause my headlights then to give of poor lightning when car just idle ? ....

guess I will have to see electrician .... BTW - heater is still an issue .. could not manage to get to the distribution box" as you advised ... can I get to it without having to remove the dash - which is a moerse job for me ... I aint that "techinically qualified"
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Heater core in Mk3 = dash out. There is no other way to get at it.

It could be the main load reduction relay on the fuse box giving hassles.
Relay number 4 in this pic:
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Gladwinn
Cadet

Post by Gladwinn »

Ta' diy slut ... LOL .. okay .. will check that one out asw ell .. what is teh number 3 for then ? .. thoaght that that would could be for the power etc .....

Heater will have to stay as is .. for now .. till I can get someone to remove the dash and get replace the entire heater system with core ..... I got a quote for the unit @ R650.00 ... cash will coem in later ...

ta' fr the input .. it helps me think tho' ..... "big ups" ...
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

As you can see in the pic, number 3 relay is for the ECM. That is the ECU/management relay.
A buddy's Mk3 also did the same, changed the number 4 relay and has been problem free for more than 4 years now.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Gladwinn
Cadet

Post by Gladwinn »

Jetta2 wrote:As you can see in the pic, number 3 relay is for the ECM. That is the ECU/management relay.
A buddy's Mk3 also did the same, changed the number 4 relay and has been problem free for more than 4 years now.
awsome !!!!! ..... now I am on it ... moerse dankie Jetta2 .. flippin dankie ou maat .... :grin: :grin:
Gladwinn
Cadet

Post by Gladwinn »

so, after doing soem searching and reading .. I came accreoss this post ..

Customer Question Ask your own question now >
I have a 1998 Jetta where the headlights, wipers and heater fan motor will spontaneously turn off simultaneously. At the same time the brake indicator on the dash will light up. You will hear a click when this happens. Generally the brake indicator will click off in a few seconds and everything else will turn back on.

and ther feedback followed well ... just as Jetta2 said ....

Volkswagen uses a system circuit called X-Load Reduction. The X-Load Reduction circuit is activated by a relay when the ignition switch is in the on position only. X-Load Reduction is used to power any accessory that is not directly needed for starting the car. Since X-Load Reduction is active only with the ignition in the on position (not crank), it allows maximum available battery voltage to be applied to start related circuits

Remove the relay and using a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) check for 12 volts with the ignition switch in the on position at pin 1 of the relay panel.
. If there is no voltage to pin 1, there is likely a fault in the ignition switch X circuit output. Additional diagnosis of the ignition switch and ignition switch wiring will be required.

If 12 volts is present at pin 1, check and verify that good ground is available at pin 4.

If 12 volts is present at pin 1 and good ground is present at pin 4, plug the relay back in. As the relay is plugged in, it should click. If no click is heard, the relay is likely at fault.

Verify that the relay is faulty by jumping pin 2 to pin 3 in the relay panel. This will bypass the relay and if function returns to all affected items, a faulty relay is indicated.
Lonzo
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk3 jetta 3

Post by Lonzo »

my jetta 3 electric rearview mirrors controller not lighting up and cant move mirror with the botton. what could be wrong ?
Lonzo
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk3 jetta 3

Re: Jetta 3 firewall clutch

Post by Lonzo »

hi there the bracket that holds clutch cable in place on firewall broke. How will i be able to put it back or is there like a hack ?