Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Re: oil catch can

Post by PoLonY »

Gplay wrote:This is my catch can i got from Max Motor Sport

*snip*

as you can see i just connected one pipe from the tappet cover to the catch can....
ontop of the catch can there is a screw on lid which im going to put a filter/breather...

do i really need to run a breather pipe to the crank casing as it will be breathing through the catch tank filter... IMO there wont be any pressure build up... correct me if im wrong...
wrong as most of the pressure build up (of which there will definitely be) no has to come up through the head before it vents, not a good idea, you are adding in a restriction to the flow, so will create more back pressure then it alleviates...

You need to connect up the block breather as well to the catch can, even if you run it to the can and T it into the same line as the tappet cover one close to the can inlet, then you run a filter on top of the can, sorted...

you want the smoothest possible flow into the can and the biggest possible lines running to it and the biggest inlet ports possible on the can, anything that restricts flow is gonna cause an increase in back pressure and you don't want that...

the better the motor can breath, the less hassles you'll have popping seals etc...
Gplay
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: mk1 G60 Turbo
Membership No: missing

Post by Gplay »

PoLonY wrote:
Gplay wrote:This is my catch can i got from Max Motor Sport

*snip*

as you can see i just connected one pipe from the tappet cover to the catch can....
ontop of the catch can there is a screw on lid which im going to put a filter/breather...

do i really need to run a breather pipe to the crank casing as it will be breathing through the catch tank filter... IMO there wont be any pressure build up... correct me if im wrong...
wrong as most of the pressure build up (of which there will definitely be) no has to come up through the head before it vents, not a good idea, you are adding in a restriction to the flow, so will create more back pressure then it alleviates...

You need to connect up the block breather as well to the catch can, even if you run it to the can and T it into the same line as the tappet cover one close to the can inlet, then you run a filter on top of the can, sorted...

you want the smoothest possible flow into the can and the biggest possible lines running to it and the biggest inlet ports possible on the can, anything that restricts flow is gonna cause an increase in back pressure and you don't want that...

the better the motor can breath, the less hassles you'll have popping seals etc...
thanks fo that bud :) makes sense... doing things right is always the best :) no short cuts...
thank to all that put in comments.... makes life so much easier... thanks guys....
G60 Turbo (in progress)
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

there will always be pressure, its just one extra pipe, do it...
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...