Wit Ark
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi Chico baby dragster
Membership No: missing

Faulty hall sender on distributer

Post by Wit Ark »

How do i know this is broken / not working propperly? Is it one of those items that either work or it doesnt, or can it be "working" but is triggering at the wrong time?

Any tests i can do?
2.0i ADY. 90.2kW & 198.1Nm atw excl. 50Horses VAT 13.9980sec @ OKH nationals 7/4/2012
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: Faulty hall sender on distributer

Post by UDC »

if your hall sender is not working you will not get any spark
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

A quick test is to turn the dizzy by hand with the ignition on - depending on your management, you will get spark, your injectors will activate (click) and in some cases the fuel pump will switch on as well. This is obviously easier to do if you have a spare dizzy on hand.
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
tamper_man
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: Jaguar
Car Model: X-Type 2.2D

Post by tamper_man »

The management should also give a RPM reading when cranking with a working Hall sender. A Hall sender that's on its way out will cause intermittent spark failure. It won't cause late triggering - it either triggers on time, or it fails to trigger at all.
Current: Jaguar X-type 2.2D
Ex: 2000 Citi 1.3
Wit Ark
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years
Car Model: Citi Chico baby dragster

Post by Wit Ark »

Car starts, idles worse than usial, and if i keep rpm at a set limmit like 3 or 4000rpm, it will stay there and ocassionally take a dip. It is also noticable on the rpm guage.

Everything regarding the ignition system has been replaced exept for the distributer, new plugs, plug leads, rotor, coil. It was running fine and just suddenly started with this nasty jerking that i believe is in the ignition system somewhere. I am going to replace the distributer next week, hope this solves the problem, if it doesnt, it leaves me with only management left that is not working the way it should.

One more question, can this problem i have be related to the charge time/cycle of the coil(which can be adjusted in management) in any way?
2.0i ADY. 90.2kW & 198.1Nm atw excl. 50Horses VAT 13.9980sec @ OKH nationals 7/4/2012
ssshannah
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by ssshannah »

Wit Ark wrote: Sun May 01, 2011 3:42 pm Car starts, idles worse than usial, and if i keep rpm at a set limmit like 3 or 4000rpm, it will stay there and ocassionally take a dip. It is also noticable on the rpm guage.

Everything regarding the ignition system has been replaced exept for the distributer, new plugs, plug leads, rotor, coil. It was running fine and just suddenly started with this nasty jerking that i believe is in the ignition system somewhere. I am going to replace the distributer next week, hope this solves the problem, if it doesnt, it leaves me with only management left that is not working the way it should.

One more question, can this problem i have be related to the charge time/cycle of the coil(which can be adjusted in management) in any way?
HI I am experiencing the same problem