MK1 golf engine conversion

smasher
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

MK1 golf engine conversion

Post by smasher »

This is my first time on this website and so far I'm impressed with evreything.

My dilemma is about changing my engine from a 1300 carb to a 1800 or 2ltr fuel injection system and what a toll it would take on me for accomplishing this project. The golf that i have is a 1982 two door mk1.

I've gone to various mechanics and heard their opinions about what things will be done to the car,like the fuel tank,the pipes,mountings and other things that seem far to scary for me handle.

My question is what type of obstacles would i encounter during the conversion and afterwards?? another thing should i go for a Carb engine,because im seriously worried about the whole electronics of the injection system with its multiple future faults and will the carb give the similar output as an injection system

Last question,what will be the cost??..so far i got a figure of 15000
neighbourhood terror
Colonel
Registered for: 20 years 8 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2010 Golf MK6 TSi
Membership No: missing

Re: MK1 golf engine conversion

Post by neighbourhood terror »

Motor and gearbox should be as easy as pulling the old lump and bolting the new one in, but that all depends what motor is in there currently. If it's the older motor that tipped forward, then you're going to have to change the mount on the drivers side of the engine bay to a newer type, which means cutting the current one off and welding on a new one. Not a difficult task but needs to be done properly.
Fuel system will need to be changed or at least modified, if you do decide to go for fuel injection, you can keep your old tank and fit a surge tank, or replace the tank with a FI one. The current fuel lines will be fine and you really don't have to change them to the bigger 8mm ones.

You can stay with a carb setup on the new motor, there's even kits than can be bought so you can fit a carb to the FI head so no need to look specifically for a carb motor.

Cost is never easy to guess. But keeping the motor carburated does reduce the cost quiet allot, I'd still budget around 8k if staying carb as there's always going to be some things that need to be changed / replaced / repaired during the conversion and of course the consumables that go with doing a engine swap.
As for going EFI, anything from R10k depending on what system you go for
Champion the right to be yourself
Dare to be different and to set your own pattern
Live your own life and follow your own star.
http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Furry
smasher
Enlisted

Post by smasher »

Its the rear tipped motor thats currently in which means i don't have to do changes to the mountings,right??Do you know of reliable places that sells good Motors and is not some fly by night place.

With the FI,the concern is the computer box,MP 9 this and MP5 that,which to me sounds like greek, im just scared that down the line that this is where the issues will be and the money eating place.hence my decision to op for the carb,less electronical.

so these carb KITS ,what are they names or do u have some places in mind that sells them???

Have you done a conversion before??
Dirty Harry
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Make: People Carrier
Car Model: footswagen
Membership No: 1640

Post by Dirty Harry »

I just did the same thing in my 2door,well I built mine up but same thing.Very very easy to do.what area you in?
smasher
Enlisted

Post by smasher »

I'm Joburg,Eldorado Park(eldos)....and you?

well thats what everyone is telling me,its easy to do.i just cant believe that because murphy's law always come back.

It my area,this guy put a golf 5 FSI enigine in his rabbit. Its mad Fast!!!!

What did you do with yours?? FI or Carb and what engine and when did you do it?? If i may ask
Dirty Harry
Captain

Post by Dirty Harry »

Im in the Westrand.Ok the FSI is quite alot more costly and difficult to do.
Ok yes there are going to be a few small things here and there like neighbourhood terror says but its small stuff.I put in an AGG which is the 2L 8valve motor.I put in the mp9 fuel tank with mp9 fuel pump.I got a full mp9 harness which made life a bit easier as it was pretty much plug and play.at the moment I am running mp9 but am going to change it soon as I am going to turbo later on in the year.
Mp9 is the type of fuel injection that the fuel injected citi golfs used.It was called mp9 by Bosch(they make fuel injection systems for cars)for some reason that I dont know.
It will cost a bit more but I would go fuel injected as it is alot better and smoother than carbs.You dont normally have any issues with fuel injection once it is setup correctly.I had fueling problems with mine but I sorted it out and now its runs ok.
Any other questions?
Dirty Harry
Captain

Post by Dirty Harry »

Im in the Westrand.Ok the FSI is quite alot more costly and difficult to do.
Ok yes there are going to be a few small things here and there like neighbourhood terror says but its small stuff.I put in an AGG which is the 2L 8valve motor.I put in the mp9 fuel tank with mp9 fuel pump.I got a full mp9 harness which made life a bit easier as it was pretty much plug and play.at the moment I am running mp9 but am going to change it soon as I am going to turbo later on in the year.
Mp9 is the type of fuel injection that the fuel injected citi golfs used.It was called mp9 by Bosch(they make fuel injection systems for cars)for some reason that I dont know.
It will cost a bit more but I would go fuel injected as it is alot better and smoother than carbs.You dont normally have any issues with fuel injection once it is setup correctly.I had fueling problems with mine but I sorted it out and now its runs ok.
Any other questions?
Dirty Harry
Captain

Post by Dirty Harry »

Sorry about the double post.Oh ya,I did my conversion last year but I am still not finished with the car,although it is driveable.
smasher
Enlisted

Post by smasher »

Impressive i must say. really impressive.

So forking out that chedda for that MP9 system and the 2 litre is worth every penny??
One more thing, the handling?? have you done changes to the the shocks or something??maybe planted a velociti suspension??

do you know of good places where they sell motors? i just need to do a few price comparsing over the next two months,because im hoping to optain an engine by the end of August.
sjs
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi & Megane RS 275 Final
Membership No: 1315

Post by sjs »

smasher wrote:Impressive i must say. really impressive.

So forking out that chedda for that MP9 system and the 2 litre is worth every penny??
One more thing, the handling?? have you done changes to the the shocks or something??maybe planted a velociti suspension??

do you know of good places where they sell motors? i just need to do a few price comparsing over the next two months,because im hoping to optain an engine by the end of August.
I have done a 2l 8v fuel injection conversion on my Citi 1.6 Shuttle.

Check the link in my signature "My ride thread" with regards to what I have done.
It is a step-by-step DIY thread with pics, descriptions and videos of my car racing.

I bought mine at Rebel Motors (MEE95 on the forum).
2l 8v's go for about R3500 (Boston Japtech). You can also try Japan Auto.
My play: my 2l ABF + throttles Citi toy and Megane RS 275 Finale
smasher
Enlisted

Post by smasher »

MY word that is legendary....I bow down. that is some serious great work and half that stuff i do not know.

how long did that take you??

What was the total expenditure if i may ask?...that looks like its clocking into the jap tuning prices..50k and more.....
sjs
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: Citi & Megane RS 275 Final
Membership No: 1315

Post by sjs »

smasher wrote:MY word that is legendary....I bow down. that is some serious great work and half that stuff i do not know.

how long did that take you??

What was the total expenditure if i may ask?...that looks like its clocking into the jap tuning prices..50k and more.....
Thanks for the compliment but my car's current state is thanks largely to the expertise of this very forum and its users.

I started working on my Citi in May 2008.

I have lost count to be honest but it is less than R50k.
My play: my 2l ABF + throttles Citi toy and Megane RS 275 Finale
Wit Ark
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Model: Citi Chico baby dragster
Membership No: missing

Post by Wit Ark »

SJS has a nice build threat you can check out. Like he said, this forum basically tought me all i know and as result i am also the owner of a proud 2l golf. I dont have a rides threat on the forum yet, but you can see plenty of my build pictures on facebook. Search for Louw Greeff, just add a small message stating motor conversion for golf and i will gladly add you to my friend list.

O, welcome to the forum!!!
2.0i ADY. 90.2kW & 198.1Nm atw excl. 50Horses VAT 13.9980sec @ OKH nationals 7/4/2012
smasher
Enlisted

Post by smasher »

howzit Gents.

thanks for the light at the end the end of the tunnel of my conversion.
SJS I've gone through your thread,what you did to your car is seriously legendary and love. Doing it all by yourself and knowing everything that is going in your car,thats is the best part of doing it yourself.

But what you did to your car is a bit to far for me,i still need to use it everyday and the cost has to be reasonable for me as well and downside i wont have the time to DIY it,i just dont have the time.

The first thing that I'm gona do for now for the next two months is do my research on looking for an excellent 2ltr FI motor and i was thinking about Jap Motors,which will give me plenty of time to save up. I"ve seen various code names for engines.ADY and ADDG so i will start a thread about engines and from there continue with with what FI management system should i use,go-tech or MP9,but for now the goal has been set, SJS is the target,.

Once again thanks guys for the direction.
Dirty Harry
Captain

Post by Dirty Harry »

Dont worry about starting another thread for engine codes,either search or tell us what you want and we will give you the answer,you will kinda get flamed for it as its been asked plenty of times before.ADY,AGG,exactly the same thing,2L long block 8Valve.Management is a bit of a difficult one.In my sig is my email addy,you more than welcome to contact me via that as I am not always on the forum,I will help where I can.
smasher
Enlisted

Post by smasher »

Thanks for the heads up on the rules of the Forum.

I will defiantly ask everyone here.
tyrone.dublife
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk1 citi

Post by tyrone.dublife »

Hi guys sorry for bringing This up once again but I own a 1990 mk1 1.3 carb (donky) anyway the car has a 5 speed box and 57mm exhaust back to front (no branch tho).....so im looking to take off the motor and convert to 2l 8v I just have a few questions.....will all my hand on parts fit? Can I use the head? Already got a 9bolt flywheel and if I mk it carb will I make more power than a normal injected car was thinking of putting on a webber, and as for moutings im getting them polyurethened, need help thanks im from durban currently hunting an engine even if I get a 1.8 8v motor I can make it 2l right? ‎
Tyrone Thomas
blou_poot
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: Chico golf 1.3+Vat

Post by blou_poot »

Did this a while back.

Use 210mm flywheel and clutch.

Service 2.0 engine including timing belt and tensioner.

Remove intake manifold.

Buy adapter plate from goldwagen to fit the carb intake...

Ussually you would need to get the 4 window dizzy.

Redo carb jets for the bigger engine.

Change tank to fi tank.

Change fuel lines to 8mm fuel lines... but not really needed just recommended.

Then you can start saving for management, tuning and fuel pump...

I changed my altinator and use the one from the 1.3.

Dont forget to do a brake upgrade....

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk
96' Chico 2.0 Carb
Win or lose, the War is not over.
-=sT3V3=-
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: ShitiGolf + CRX
Car Model: 92' ADY + 91' B20Vtec

Post by -=sT3V3=- »

MP9 tanks are hard to find, rather mod and install a intank pump with your current tank.

I didnt fuel upgrade lines due to availability either.

Carbs are old tech and generally in bad shape I would recommend you jump straight into FI if you can afford it.
thabisosimango
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by thabisosimango »

Hi I just made conversion on my mk1 from 1.4 with a 1.8 block with a polo throttle but now it just doesn't wanna hidle proper
And I drive it it's got some jacking like pulling back
I'm in pretoria were are you guys to help me out
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Try trevor greene. 0833095033. He is in moot street
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
jarou72
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and Suzuki
Car Model: MK1 1300 and Vitara 2L V6

Post by jarou72 »

Hi Guys,
My first time on here, a relative VeeDub nebwy lol.
I bought my son a 1988 1300 MK1 golf recently, and have the opportunity of getting a 1800 engine real cheap.
What will I need to do to replace the 1300 carburetor motor with the 1800 carburetor motor?
Are there any specific issues I need to look out for or conversion (clutch etc) I will have to do?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Nothing except you might want to fit the bigger clutch.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by smitbrandon »

smasher wrote:Impressive i must say. really impressive.

You could try SUMP in springs. They offer a large variety of motors parts and engines

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk