VW Citi Golf 1.4i Electric Cut Out

buttle
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk1 Golf 1.4i

Re: VW Citi Golf 1.4i Electric Cut Out

Post by buttle »

UDC wrote:check the two big fuses next to the battery, make sure they not blown and making good contact

DuuuDE!! You rock!

I have been having intermittent non-starting issues for near on three years now and I thought it was some loose connection in the harness, because every time i would jiggle the harness and then usually it would start. That jiggling was probably just enough to annoy the fuses to make contact until the next time the engine bay was hot.

I have just pulled both fuses and cleaned all the kak off them and pushed them back into place... now it starts EVERY SINGLE TIME!
:hurray:
regards
Piet
Kindest regards
Peter Butler
Mk1 Golf 1.4i
AndreJ1969
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by AndreJ1969 »

Hi. I have a 99 Citi golf 1.6 carb and picked up a similar problem. Of course I don't have any fuses next to my battery. Where do I start?
Thanks
Andre
Kameron1
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Kameron1 »

Hi guys im in real need of help . i drive a 2006 citi golf 1.4 carb , my problem is as im driving the dash goes completely off rev counter , speedo indicators etc however the headlights work and radio. i did have the fuses near the battery checked and tested they are both still working. im not sure where the problem lies whenever i come to a stop with both clutch and brake in at the same time everything comes back to normal. then starts again as i take off. the problem does go away after a while but then starts again. please help
Kameron Govender :bang: :crazy:
zardoz
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by zardoz »

I had same problem I did what you boys said turned out was the fuses next to battery **** yes al dag heel dag worked boom!!!!! :troll:
jdp1
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by jdp1 »

Hi Guys if your car is parked over night what's the best way for it to be safe from criminals... will removing the 2 fuse next to the battery help with car not being able to start if the try to steal it... and if so will this cause damage to the car by removing them frequently.. plz assist currently parking my vechile at work with no security or insurance .. thanking you in advance
Gert van Staden
Cadet

Post by Gert van Staden »

cgaybba wrote:Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm sorry that I didn't introduce myself.

I hope one of you guys can help me.

Yesterday I was driving in my 2007 VW Citi Golf 1.4i and the electrics cut out. My engine stopped and all the dials went down to 0. Just like the car was switched off during driving.

While I free'ed my car, the lights was still on and the radio still played. My roof light went. My light alarm came on, just when I forget to turn off my lights and extract my key from the ignition.

When I try to start my car, the dashboard electronics (petrol light, battery light, etc.) didn't go on and nothing happened.

Now, I've done a few things to fix the problem:
• Took out the Immobiliser fuse and check if it has blown - no problem with the fuse
• Unclamped the positive battery clamp and left it like that for a minute or two before putting it back again - did'nt work
• Towed it back home and wait untill this morning - the same problem.

According to my local VW dealer I need to pull the battery wires, especially the negative/ground wire, to see if there is no problem with the wires. My common sense tells me that if the problem lies with the battery cables, then the lights and radio won't work, which works.

More Information:
About 2 weeks ago I replaced the battery. After that, when I hit the break, my left front light go on, which don't happen everytime, telling me that might be a ground cable error.

I will appreciate any input and help which I can try without stripping my whole vehicle.

Kind regards
Christo Gaybba
It would be best to getthe car on a diagnostic machine. Mine thrue out the key coding and would'nt spark for ****. Same thing happend.... The car ran, died on me and that was it.

Might allso be a short on the harness that shaved thrue over time. This will cause all sorts of mayhem.

Just my 2c worth but good luck on fixing the problem

Sent from my SM-J106F using Tapatalk

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Did you read the date on the post?

Seems you came late to the party.

At least it's not you that revived the thread after 4 years.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

jdp1 wrote:Hi Guys if your car is parked over night what's the best way for it to be safe from criminals... will removing the 2 fuse next to the battery help with car not being able to start if the try to steal it... and if so will this cause damage to the car by removing them frequently.. plz assist currently parking my vechile at work with no security or insurance .. thanking you in advance
Get insurance and an alarm.

It's a Citigolf, my 8yo son can steal it, it's that easy.

If you are very worried about thieves taking your car, roll on stock rims and remove the sound. Put a Kaizer Chiefs sticker on the drivers mirror and kick in the drivers door. It will always be parked where you left it.
Gert van Staden
Cadet

missioner wrote:Did you read the date on the post?

@missioner Yea, I'm new here so did not read the inception date (LoL) as it was "revived" so common mistake....

Last edited by Gert van Staden on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Gert van Staden wrote:

@missioner Yea, I'm a new here so did not read the inception date (LoL) as it was "revived" so common mistake....

I will forgive you.

This

Time.
Gert van Staden
Cadet

missioner wrote:
Gert van Staden wrote:

@missioner Yea, I'm a new here so did not read the inception date (LoL) as it was "revived" so common mistake....

I will forgive you.

This

Time.
No pun taken Image

Gert van Staden
Cadet

missioner wrote:
Gert van Staden wrote:

I will forgive you.

This

Time.
Whats up with all the newby okes hijacking threads from way back when, instead of starting a new one of they'r own or maybe just reading up on the past treads to pin point a problem.

This in an age where the interwebb is literally at the tip of our "stinkeys"

@mariodsGTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Post by @mariodsGTI »

Hey guys can anyone help. My citi golf 1.6 i fuel injection ive got a electrical problem. while driving the dash will go deD, SPEEDO, REV,TEMP EVERYTHING, after a few minutes it all goes on like nothing happened. ive check the 2 fuses by the battery they all good. what could be the problem...Annoying