2007 Citigolf 1.4 Carb Suspected Coil Problem

Eep
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

2007 Citigolf 1.4 Carb Suspected Coil Problem

Post by Eep »

Hi Guys.

I have been driving my Citigolf for about 2 years now, and it has given me no problems what so ever. (65 000 km odo)
A few weeks ago I was driving to the coast and back and my citi would start cutting off once or twice while I was driving there and on my way back. (I gave my car a service just before I left.) I did not have any problems when I departed to the coast it only started while I was there for a few days.

Before it dies the refs starts to drop and I lose power and then it cuts off, but otherwise its running 100%.The one time that it died it refused to start again, the starter motor was turning and every-time that I check there was a spark coming from the coil. I played around with the cable coming from the coil to the distributor and it work again. So I assumed that it was the cable. I got myself a new cable but alas when I arrived back in PTA it started cutting off more often. After that it refused to start again. I inspected the Dis-Cap it it looks spotless, I even cleaned it out.

So then I discovered something mind boggling. When my car dies or refuses to start up I unplug the coil cable from the distributor-cap and then I earth it on the engine. When I start the vehicle the spark jumps from the cable to the engine, and then when I plug it back in my car runs for a few minutes. I thought it was only an coincidence. So I started driving again, I'll drive for a few minutes then it cuts off, I tried the same thing again and it worked again!

How can this be, does it mean that my Coil is wasted? Is it my distributor cap that is cracked? Is it a bad contact? Will a coil pack up so soon?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The cap itself is about R500 but the whole distributor systems costs R8000 and diagnostics could be very expensive! It would be nice if I could pinpoint the problem or atleast get a few pointers

Kindest Regards
Evert
Ripdbod
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: citi golf
Membership No: 1655

Re: 2007 Citigolf 1.4 Carb Suspected Coil Problem

Post by Ripdbod »

whu don't you try a Midas for the cap.
am sure it is alot cheaper.

IIRC i paid around R120 for a new cap at some spares shop.
Current :
1998 Citi golf
2.0l 8v
282 estas, 50mm exhaust
93hp - panic's dyno

Hers : 2012 Polo 1.6 comfortline
Eep
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Eep »

Thx... but I am wondering if it really is the cap... I guess I can buy one and try...
Modi
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Modi »

this is not a reply i also have the same problem and I need help with it so I wish u cud tell me if u managed 2 hv it fixed and how...??? :sad:
Kingpin
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Model: 2003 Citi 1.4
Membership No: missing

Post by Kingpin »

@Modi

Check your TCI unit.
They sometimes have what i call an "intermittent" failure. Starts doing this only after the radiator fan has operated.

a quick check would be when you are driving and it cuts out, press the clutch and release with your key on the "on" position and keep it in whatever gear it was (just not first :eek: )...if the car starts then its not the TCI unit.
If the car does not start,press the Clutch turn the key to the "off" position wait 1 sec and then back to "on" (dont turn to "start") and release the clutch in gear, if it starts then its most probably the TCI unit.

im on my 3rd unit @ 188000km. My first unit started perfect and just died one morning and never started again ...the second one gave me this wierd run around for 6 months and just refused to die :crazy: ...i eventually figured it out and replaced the unit. :hurray:

EDIT:

The TCI Unit is behind the passenger air vent inside the car...
Last edited by Kingpin on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still rolling with stock.....for now...
Image Image
Life937
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Car Model: Caddy Club, Mk2 GTi 16V
Membership No: 1040

Post by Life937 »

Seems like I experienced exactly the same issue on my 2007 Caddy 1.6 carb. Apart for displacement, I think that the engines are very similar. Mine acted up a few days ago, but I experienced this issue a few time previously.

Not sure if our cars has a seperate TCI unit.

Eventually replaced the ignition coil, I assume yours is also the 3 pin type like the fuel injected ones. I also replaced the mechanical fuel pump with a Goldwagen replacement. I drove it again this morning and it seems fine. My caddy did this only after it was quite hot and was stuck in traffic. Maybe try replacing the coil and let me know what you eventually find.
Membership No: 1040
Current
His Daily: 2007 Caddy Club 1.6
His Toy : 1989 Mk2 GTi 16V Exec
Hers: Mk7 GTI DSG
Ex:
2009 Golf Vi TSi Comfortline
2001 Golf IV 2.0 Highline (Too Heavy Too Slow) rear ended and written off
2002 Citi Life 16.338sec @ 141.18kmh (Wesbank)---- donated to RDP
1991 Cli 2.0 16V Exec - Gotech Management System
2001 Polo Classic 1.6 - 180kmh at Gerotek 2008
hmullie
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: V0lkswagen
Car Model: Golf mk1 1.6i life

Post by hmullie »

Kingpin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm @Modi

Check your TCI unit.
They sometimes have what i call an "intermittent" failure. Starts doing this only after the radiator fan has operated.

a quick check would be when you are driving and it cuts out, press the clutch and release with your key on the "on" position and keep it in whatever gear it was (just not first :eek: )...if the car starts then its not the TCI unit.
If the car does not start,press the Clutch turn the key to the "off" position wait 1 sec and then back to "on" (dont turn to "start") and release the clutch in gear, if it starts then its most probably the TCI unit.

im on my 3rd unit @ 188000km. My first unit started perfect and just died one morning and never started again ...the second one gave me this wierd run around for 6 months and just refused to die :crazy: ...i eventually figured it out and replaced the unit. :hurray:

EDIT:

The TCI Unit is behind the passenger air vent inside the car...
i had the same issue my 2003 citi life 1.6i the car has 260000 km on the clock.. it seems on mine tjhe coil and ingnition unit is a single unit , most refer to it as a coil pack.

my symptoms are as following , the engine turns but dont start this happened sporadically. today it doesnt start the next day it started etc , now at the moment it starts with no problem (been starting for a few days) , i have spoken to mechanic, he reckons that the coil is busy packing up.

what i would like to no from any one who has a citi life , do i have the correct device (for a lack of a better word) ?
i have replaced a ignition module on a older golf before , but that was a single unit.