got a Jetta 2 for the old lady over weekend. Since I don't know my ass from my elbows with cars, I probably got dupped, but hey.
Can post some pics of the nasties I found thus far for you fellows to laugh at. Still not decided whether to leave as is and do the basics to keep is running, or put a bit of cash in....hmmm
- Need to change all four shocks. Keen to do a DIY, but not sure if a navice should try it. Seems like rear shocks not too difficult, but gather front need some specialised stuff like spring compressors etc. Any specific shocks recommended?
- car has zero security. Any good ideas how to make the car immobile? Since it's a cheapo car, don't think I'm going to get some alarm place to drop in something expensive.
- Door handles as per just about every mk 2 playing up. Are polo handles worth the effort, or should I just get another stadnard set from the stealers? My understanding is that the GW and Autosyle one don't cut the mustard?
- Dash cracked to pieces - can't imagine scrap yars would have any, anyone have some gems of where to get one? Is it "relatively" easy to change?
- Anyone got an electronic workshop manual?
- Can you drop Citi seats in without to much stress?
Edit running list of fixes:
* New battery
* 4 x new shocks and full set on bump stops
* Boot lid spring
* Spare tyre and rim
* drain, replace power steerings fluid
* 4 x new Hankook 185/60 14s
* New non OEM front door locks
* rear drums, bearings, shoes, cylinders
* new water pump (thanks Morne!)
* new oil seals (thank Morne, again)