MK5 TDI -Turbo blown or boost pipe? Please help guys

Sensorei
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG

MK5 TDI -Turbo blown or boost pipe? Please help guys

Post by Sensorei »

Hi guys, I was driving on the N2 today near Cape Town at about 100km/h and suddenly my turbo started whistling quite a bit louder :cry: and there was a big loss of power. No pop or smoke though... Just suddenly when I gave her some gas the turbo started whistling but the power wasnt there. She's a 2007 Golf 5 1.9 TDI with 51000kms on the clock and my warranty expired 2 months ago, 2 MONTHS! :bang: Only 51000kms and she was serviced 2 months ago!

Now I've heard of many turbos blowing in 1.9 TDI Polos, and always with a pop followed by lots of smoke so I'm really hoping the turbo is not blown and its just a loose boost pipe. I drove 25km home after the turbo started whining and the car starts fine and goes fine, just without the power. I don't want to drive her until it's been checked out and my brother is going to tow her to the stealership on Friday but the thought of not knowing whatsup for 2 days is killing me. I've just saved up money for our final overseas trip before my wife and I have kids and the thought of losing the money on a turbo makes me nauseous.

Now to the clued up guys here, does this sound like a blown turbo? As far as I know from a few friends' turbos that have gone is that they always 'popped' with lots of smoke bellowing out. I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. I'm based in Cape Town and if anybody has a 'connection' they can recommend or something that would be awesome. Thanks guys!
His: '12 Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG (Silver Leaf)
Hers: '15 Golf SV 1.4TSI DSG (White)
Fastandfurious
Major
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Ranger
Membership No: 458

Re: MK5 TDI -Turbo blown or boost pipe? Please help guys

Post by Fastandfurious »

Sounds very much like a boost leak to me, but I'm no expert.
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Check boost pipes from turbo to Intercooler...you will probably find one of the pipes came loose. It happens...boost pipes have a tendancy to jump off randomly.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Sensorei
Cadet

Post by Sensorei »

dazza wrote:Check boost pipes from turbo to Intercooler...you will probably find one of the pipes came loose. It happens...boost pipes have a tendancy to jump off randomly.
Damn I hope you are right. Now to figure out where everything is located in my engine.
Umphufu
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 7 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Umphufu »

Sensorei wrote:
dazza wrote:Check boost pipes from turbo to Intercooler...you will probably find one of the pipes came loose. It happens...boost pipes have a tendancy to jump off randomly.
Damn I hope you are right. Now to figure out where everything is located in my engine.
just removed your engine cover and look behind behind the engine... look thoroughly through all rubber hoses and make sure they not perished...
My other ride is your Mom...

CURRENT - 2004 MK4 GTI .:R - Garret GT3071R with Tial Vband Turbine housing, Pagparts casted stainless steel vband manifold, 76mm exhaust vbanded, 350hp intercooler and 63mm piping all round, Tial MVS 38mm vband wastegate

EX: 2000 MK4 GTI - SAC Conversion
EX: 1992 CITI 1.3
Sensorei
Cadet

Post by Sensorei »

Umphufu wrote:
Sensorei wrote:
just removed your engine cover and look behind behind the engine... look thoroughly through all rubber hoses and make sure they not perished...
Took the engine cover off but don't know where the turbo is on this car. Where should I be looking?

EDIT: Nevermind, its way behind the engine at the back, damn thats a mission.
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Best bet is to pull the lower engine cover off the bottom of the car, then follow the rubber connectors that come off the turbo and go towards the intercooler which will be loacted in the panel in front of the right front wheel.
Edit to add:
I am actually not sure if the Golf 1.9tdi has an SMIC or a FMIC that sits behind the radiator. Maybe someone can confirm
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

dazza wrote:Edit to add:
I am actually not sure if the Golf 1.9tdi has an SMIC or a FMIC that sits behind the radiator. Maybe someone can confirm
SMIC

Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
rastacaptain
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 3 months
Car Make: boat
Car Model: a big one

Post by rastacaptain »

Its got a FMIC :hi:
check the pipe leading into the intercooler on the right hand side, we had the same story on the caddy and it was this pipe that tore :cry:

Hope you get it sorted :driving:
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you

Current Ride:
M/Y Lady Nora (the office/home)

Ex Rides
82' Porsche 924
Golf V 1.9 tdi (de-cat)
Honda ballade 150i
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

rastacaptain wrote:Its got a FMIC :hi:
check the pipe leading into the intercooler on the right hand side, we had the same story on the caddy and it was this pipe that tore :cry:

:oops:

Well you own one, so you should know! I thought is was only the 2L Tdi that had a FMIC...
Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

True, FMIC on the Golf 5 1.9 tdi.

Marco

Fastandfurious
Major
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Ranger
Membership No: 458

Post by Fastandfurious »

MeanTdi wrote:

Well you own one, so you should know! I thought is was only the 2L Tdi that had a FMIC...
That pic you posted is a MK4 not so? Not MK5...
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Fastandfurious wrote:
MeanTdi wrote:

That pic you posted is a MK4 not so? Not MK5...
Double checked. Yes, Mk4, my bad. :oops:
Marco

rastacaptain
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 3 months
Car Make: boat
Car Model: a big one

Post by rastacaptain »

Lol half own one at the mo :oops: gonna sell it once im done with the payments :cry: insurance fml!
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you

Current Ride:
M/Y Lady Nora (the office/home)

Ex Rides
82' Porsche 924
Golf V 1.9 tdi (de-cat)
Honda ballade 150i
Umphufu
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Umphufu »

dazza wrote:Best bet is to pull the lower engine cover off the bottom of the car, then follow the rubber connectors that come off the turbo and go towards the intercooler which will be loacted in the panel in front of the right front wheel.
Edit to add:
if the hoses from the intercooler pop off.. the car will start fine but as soon as you rev it, the car will die as there is no circulation of air flowing through the system... but im not 100% sure of this... im just speaking from experience here... i only know the 1.8t 20v motors :crazy:
My other ride is your Mom...

CURRENT - 2004 MK4 GTI .:R - Garret GT3071R with Tial Vband Turbine housing, Pagparts casted stainless steel vband manifold, 76mm exhaust vbanded, 350hp intercooler and 63mm piping all round, Tial MVS 38mm vband wastegate

EX: 2000 MK4 GTI - SAC Conversion
EX: 1992 CITI 1.3
Riyaadhsaley
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by Riyaadhsaley »

Sensorei wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm Hi guys, I was driving on the N2 today near Cape Town at about 100km/h and suddenly my turbo started whistling quite a bit louder :cry: and there was a big loss of power. No pop or smoke though... Just suddenly when I gave her some gas the turbo started whistling but the power wasnt there. She's a 2007 Golf 5 1.9 TDI with 51000kms on the clock and my warranty expired 2 months ago, 2 MONTHS! :bang: Only 51000kms and she was serviced 2 months ago!

Now I've heard of many turbos blowing in 1.9 TDI Polos, and always with a pop followed by lots of smoke so I'm really hoping the turbo is not blown and its just a loose boost pipe. I drove 25km home after the turbo started whining and the car starts fine and goes fine, just without the power. I don't want to drive her until it's been checked out and my brother is going to tow her to the stealership on Friday but the thought of not knowing whatsup for 2 days is killing me. I've just saved up money for our final overseas trip before my wife and I have kids and the thought of losing the money on a turbo makes me nauseous.

Now to the clued up guys here, does this sound like a blown turbo? As far as I know from a few friends' turbos that have gone is that they always 'popped' with lots of smoke bellowing out. I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. I'm based in Cape Town and if anybody has a 'connection' they can recommend or something that would be awesome. Thanks guys!
What ended up being the problem bro?
2008 Black Magic Golf 5 GTI - 194kw 414nm @ R&S Motorsport

1982 Mercedes 230 (W123) - White, bagged.
gPhilipC
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Model: Golf MK5 tdi, Caddy Utility

Post by gPhilipC »

Happend a couple of times with my MK5

1st time. Turbo shaft snaped in half, los of power, no smoke...
2nd /3rd/4the the pipe on the bottem on the side of the intercooler inlet. Some smoke
5th the EGR return pype from the turbo to the EGR. No smoke. It looks like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=mk5+egr ... h5RP7AWe9M:

I have n 2005 mk5 with 350000km on the clock. There is almost no problem on them i haven't solved.

Goodluck.
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
Yamaha RZ 350 YPVS Full racing spec motor
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
Jetta 2 1.8 (was in a sad state when i bought it)
1998 BMW 235 TDS (Respect for the diesel)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650
1996 Nissan 1400 AKA "scrappy"

Current Rides

2005 VW 1.9tdi - decat, and tune...
2001 VW Caddy Utlilty - 2l, standard block and head, throttles, branch, free-flow, 298 cam, spitronics management.