Another ABF Build (NOW ON PERFECT POWER)

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Another ABF Build (update)

Post by panic-mechanic »

MP9 actually doen't 'interrupt' the injection wires at all. It does cut into the ingnition side and it T's into a couple of others.
Because there are different setups of unichips and different wiring setups you have to 'tailor' the blanking plug to suit the wiring setup of that specific car. It's not a 'one size fits all' setup. I'm glad to see you also replaced that broken steering boot while you had the engine out...... :wink:
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
CRASH_IT
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8P S3
Membership No: 1540

Post by CRASH_IT »

But does the Uni chip not change the settings of the signal to the injectors? So no matter what MP9 ecu I put in it will be telling the injectors to open so much?

So im still running the same coil, map sensor, TB. Only thing that I have changed is the injector wire. Is this uni chip still going to work on my cab?
I cant see why not!

It is running just battles to start when TB closed fully. Im hoping this is caused from the incorrect settings on the uni chip?
CURRENT RIDE
2013 VW transporter 2.0TDI
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
- 1993 1.8i CITI MP9 98HP 147NM @ KAR
NOW:2.0 ABF 117HP 158NM @Panics on XMS (SOLD)SNIFF
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 3&t=108203
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

People have a serious misunderstanding about wat exactly a unichip does. Basically it modifies the input signal form the mainfold pressure sensor and the output to the coil. By manipulatiing the first one the mp9 think there is a different maifold pressure and it will thus add or subtract fuel. So basically it's the MP9 making the change due to what it percieves one of the inputs is doing. So you lie to the input and it will change the output to achieve what you hope to achieve.
On the output to the coil it will then take the signal that the mp9 gives and pla with it to get the timing you want.
PP SMT6 will take the trigger signal and hold it to achieve the timing but unichip actually takes the output side.
The unichip will physically work yes. But how correct the current tuning for the different motor will be is anyone's guess.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

pluto
Lieutenant
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by pluto »

It uses the map sensor port on the ECU to manipulate fueling - map sensor signal goes in and comes out modified then to the ECU .

Same with coil and dizzy signals (IGn advance and RPM)

Oops , just saw PM's post - u beat me to it
Shiver me Wastegates

Frieling Racing Chip tuning

Yashin@frc.co.za
082 805 9060
2013 TT-RS S Tronic
MK1 20VT BAM (Motronic ME 7.5 DBW)
CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

Ok I have become wiser with your wiseness hahaha Thanks Gents

Ok so with that knowledge should the car be running fine ish at this point with just plugging the ABF mapped ECU with the UNI?
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

If everything is working as it should then yes in theory it must. But the TB can differ form the one that was on the previous car and you will have to do a calibrate on that and make sure all the faults are cleared.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

K cool got a guy coming to do a adaption on my TB and clear all the errors.
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
pluto
Lieutenant

Post by pluto »

CRASH_IT wrote:Ok I have become wiser with your wiseness hahaha Thanks Gents

Ok so with that knowledge should the car be running fine ish at this point with just plugging the ABF mapped ECU with the UNI?
Asuming that what lies in the binary of that ecu is indeed for an ABF and not a polocup and or Bin laden and or what ever else was the mythical flavour of the month at the time the rom was burnt/flashed

Without measuring nayhting , drive it real calm and real slow under light light load till it's sorted .
Shiver me Wastegates

Yashin@frc.co.za
082 805 9060
2013 TT-RS S Tronic
Monster
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Monster »

That ecu came from abf, done by ray.
made 131bhp on tony's dyno.
then fitted unichip, made 136bhp.
you know, you were there, pluto.
BMW k1200RS
pluto
Lieutenant

Post by pluto »

Was I .. mmmmh , memory doesnt serve me well ..
Shiver me Wastegates

Yashin@frc.co.za
082 805 9060
2013 TT-RS S Tronic
CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

So I sorted out why the motor wasn't running up ook some pics of the finished to scratch!
Brand new off the shelf Dizzy faulty!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: Swopped it out and cab running great. Tho it is hunting for idle a little bit but hopefully tonight that will be sorted after adapting the TB. Tried on weekend but something corrupted on the software for the cable but got it sorted to late to do anything on the weekend.

Oh yes had a huge oil leak on start up :bang: the oil cooler took a knock so oil filter wasn't sealing 100% lucky for me I had a spare laying on the spares shelf! :grin: Might need a new sump gasket also, sump look lil wet but will wash the motor and run for a bit and see what I find!

Took some pics of the finished product will load them tonight! :drool:

Took it for a drive on Saturday she pulls like a beast and the sound I cant describe.
hop to have it on the dyno shortly! :drool:
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
BillyBob
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: E90 330d M-sport

Post by BillyBob »

So where are these pics? :)

Have you dyno'ed yet?

I've just changed from MP9 to XMS4B to accomodate a few mods, and I'm suitably impressed. Throttle response is improved significantly, and the car feels significantly more alive. MP9 always gave me the impression of being a bit "limp" and slow on the uptake with throttle inputs, but hey - that's just me.

A few idling issues and a few holes in the map that need to be tuned out with on-road tuning in the upcoming week, but thus far I'm very very happy with the switch.
Sometimes, we need to remind ourselves of the simplicities of life - you only need two tools: Duct tape and WD-40. If doesn't move and it should - use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does - use the duct tape.
CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

Took new ones this weekend as they weren't best quality. Will load them tomorrow morning as I dont have software loaded at work pc for my phone. :wink:

Nope no Dyno yet bloody TB is stuffed! :bang: :bang: that why it not idleing! So trying to sort that out know but thinking going PP now going to have to save some more for that in the meantime. :smile:
So maybe you can tell me what all you had to get and what prices it cost to change over to PP AFM?
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Physically you don't need to change anything. Box from me is around R2700(when they have stock again hopefully in about 2 weeks) if you are a club member and R3400 normal retail if not. Install yourself and I charge R1250 for a dyno to map it from scratch.
If you want it to run Closed loop and wideband lambda(which I love) then it's the cost of a probe and geting it installed + either R600 for a ready made up cable for the probe form PP or R380 for the plug alone if you make up your own harness.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

panic-mechanic wrote:Physically you don't need to change anything. Box from me is around R2700(when they have stock again hopefully in about 2 weeks) if you are a club member and R3400 normal retail if not. Install yourself and I charge R1250 for a dyno to map it from scratch.
If you want it to run Closed loop and wideband lambda(which I love) then it's the cost of a probe and geting it installed + either R600 for a ready made up cable for the probe form PP or R380 for the plug alone if you make up your own harness.

Just the TB back to the original TB whahaha! :lol:
Will that mean I will need to reconnect the idle controll unit?
The Min you have in stock again Please please PM me as I will take one Panic!
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You don't even have to change the throttle body back - you can use the vr one. If you want idle control then yes it would be better to connect that stuff back up and use it. Most guys get along by simply adding an idle screw and opening the throttle mechanically till it idles. It will then idle low when cold but pick up when hot. Not too hard to live with but idle motor is better.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

panic-mechanic wrote:You don't even have to change the throttle body back - you can use the vr one. If you want idle control then yes it would be better to connect that stuff back up and use it. Most guys get along by simply adding an idle screw and opening the throttle mechanically till it idles. It will then idle low when cold but pick up when hot. Not too hard to live with but idle motor is better.
The thing is I think it the TPS on the VR TB not working as the idle motor is working ok as it is opening and closing just cant seem to find were it ment to be! I dont know, Just want it done properly and not have any issues further down the line. Thinking maybe I will have a look at the std Tb and add a idle screw. Keep it simpe! lol Starting to believe MP9 belongs on std 1.4/1.6/1.8. LOL :grin:

Will the PP be able to work with the std ABF TPS?
Please let me know when you got stock sold 1 of my Ecu's and UNIchip already so have the cash ready.
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes. Any device that has a variable resistance will.....

The vr TB has 2 different circuits that report it's idle position to the management. One of them could be faulty and it will have no effect on the main TPS circuit. It's also pretty easy to test with a multimeter.. But you can use whichever one you choose - purely your choice.
Please PM me in a week or so and I'll report on the stock situation. Don't wait for me to contact you as I might forget and then you get mad at me(has happened before)
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

panic-mechanic wrote:
Yes. Any device that has a variable resistance will.....

The vr TB has 2 different circuits that report it's idle position to the management. One of them could be faulty and it will have no effect on the main TPS circuit. It's also pretty easy to test with a multimeter.. But you can use whichever one you choose - purely your choice.
Please PM me in a week or so and I'll report on the stock situation. Don't wait for me to contact you as I might forget and then you get mad at me(has happened before)
Ok will do! :grin:
It will also take away the TB cable from rubbing on my Bonnet! :cry:
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

This is the little 90 degree fitting I needed for the MK2 Brake bottle to fit, Now there is alot of space for the dizzy! :wink:
All Connected (well besides the airbox) :wink: and running!
The blank off on the Manifold for the oem idle controll unit is a oem part. fits perfect in there! :grin:
Last edited by CRASH_IT on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
BillyBob
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: E90 330d M-sport

Re: Another ABF Build (updated pics)

Post by BillyBob »

Looking nice there Crash... liking the all-black manifold, intake pipe and airbox setup!

A small update on my setup - lambda probe was installed tonight, XMS4B was calibrated and given a few target AFR's, and we set off on a drive.

OMG, what a pleasure - within a block or two the ECU started ironing out the little kinks and hiccups in the map, its own trim calibration being applied to the base map, as it effectively tunes itself to hit the target AFR's you've given it. This has quite easily saved a good few hours of dyno tinkering - and allows for easy re-tuning of fueling at cruising speeds while you're on the go, to boost your economy.

All my concerns about jerkiness and holes in the map have been resolved... barring the lumpy idle due to the cams, it drives like a top-notch factory management system, never missing a beat.

I'm incredibly impressed - and big up to panic for putting up with all my questions and requests. Highly recommended - beats MP9 hands down!
Sometimes, we need to remind ourselves of the simplicities of life - you only need two tools: Duct tape and WD-40. If doesn't move and it should - use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does - use the duct tape.
CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

Thanks BillyBob, There still a bit of neating up that I would like to still do, but no rush as Im already thinking what is my next project once this one over. :grin:

Yup i can't wait for my XMS to arrive and be tuned, I think the Lambda probe is a really good idea. Will def be adding that to the list.
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
pluto
Lieutenant

Post by pluto »

BillyBob wrote:Looking nice there Crash... liking the all-black manifold, intake pipe and airbox setup!

A small update on my setup - lambda probe was installed tonight, XMS4B was calibrated and given a few target AFR's, and we set off on a drive.

OMG, what a pleasure - within a block or two the ECU started ironing out the little kinks and hiccups in the map, its own trim calibration being applied to the base map, as it effectively tunes itself to hit the target AFR's you've given it. This has quite easily saved a good few hours of dyno tinkering - and allows for easy re-tuning of fueling at cruising speeds while you're on the go, to boost your economy.

All my concerns about jerkiness and holes in the map have been resolved... barring the lumpy idle due to the cams, it drives like a top-notch factory management system, never missing a beat.

I'm incredibly impressed - and big up to panic for putting up with all my questions and requests. Highly recommended - beats MP9 hands down!
Only coz you couldnt get the MP9 sorted .... Glad to see it's going well , Panik is indeed the man for AFM's
Shiver me Wastegates

Yashin@frc.co.za
082 805 9060
2013 TT-RS S Tronic
CRASH_IT
Cadet

Post by CRASH_IT »

pluto wrote:
BillyBob wrote:Looking nice there Crash... liking the all-black manifold, intake pipe and airbox setup!

Only coz you couldnt get the MP9 sorted .... Glad to see it's going well , Panik is indeed the man for AFM's

It cause when it does bloody break try find bloody parts. eg VR6 TB :bang:
Thought you were fetching that ecu at 10:00 pluto? been waiting for you!!!!
CURRENT RIDE
2007 Audi S3

EX
- 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Pluto have you done a map for mp9 on longish cams? Would have been interesting as an exercise but that mp9 in billybob's car threw a total hissy fit as soon as the cams went in. You could almost not drive the car and it would'nt even rev past 5000 rpm let alone idle. Hence the descision to fit the AFM since one can kind of half ignore the vacuum(or total lack of it) that the cams present.
Of course I also dropped the distributor(that was leaking oil in any case) and put it on wasted spark while we were at it. Will get it back on the dyno for another run once the lambda tuning had a bit of time to do it's thing and see if it looks better at the bottom.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10