Dealer_1
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: Jetta 3 CLX
Car Model: 1996
Membership No: missing

signs of bad inner cv joints

Post by Dealer_1 »

What are the signs of bad inner cv joints on a Jetta 2.

I know what bad outers sound like, but not sure how to diagnose inners.

My car makes a clucking noise when i accelerate.
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Re: signs of bad inner cv joints

Post by Torker »

My Velo had an inter clicking noise when driving in a straight line, you could feel it on the steering as well. I assumed it was caused by a partially seized inner CV and the fact that it went away after I changed the CV's confirmed it.
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
Scatman
General
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320d Msport
Membership No: 1773

Post by Scatman »

I had one stuffed inner CV joint. The symptoms I experienced were similar to having very bad wheel balancing. Apparently, the heat from my gearbox/exhaust caused the grease in my inner CV to become hard... When driving on a highway it would feel as if my wheel balancing was way out. I could "cure" this by turning very sharply from side-to-side (going slowly of course). But it would emerge again. It also seemed to get worse when I was driving long distances (e.g. more than 100km non-stop).

Cheers> :hi:
Current:
2008 BMW 320d Msport Auto
Ex:
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2006 BMW E90 330d Manual
*Click here*
2006 Sportline
*Click here*
Mk4 Jetta TDI - 79wKw, 256Nm atw @KAR
*Click here*
Margaret - '75 Audi 80 Restoration Project
*Click here*
2005 1.4i Citi Golf
*Click here*
Dealer_1
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: Jetta 3 CLX
Car Model: 1996

Post by Dealer_1 »

Thanks guys. Will rather book my car into a suspension place to have it checked out.
Scatman
General

Post by Scatman »

Dealer_1 wrote:Thanks guys. Will rather book my car into a suspension place to have it checked out.
Jup, thats the best thing to do. If its something else, then they'll pick it up. Hope you get it sorted bud :hi:
Current:
Ex:
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2006 BMW E90 330d Manual
*Click here*
2006 Sportline
*Click here*
*Click here*
*Click here*
2005 1.4i Citi Golf
*Click here*
dood786
Post Whore
Registered for: 17 years 1 month
Car Model: boat
Membership No: 1133

Post by dood786 »

Torker wrote:My Velo had an inter clicking noise when driving in a straight line, you could feel it on the steering as well. I assumed it was caused by a partially seized inner CV and the fact that it went away after I changed the CV's confirmed it.
+1
i had both sides inner and outer done at the same time just to make sure it wouldnt trouble again
Noob
94CTi
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Car Make: VW & SEAT

Post by 94CTi »

I found that on my car, when I took those looping onramps and accelerated in the bend, I would get a clicking noise, and tthe noise would disappear if I lifted off the throttle. Changed the inner CV and problem solved.
GJHuman
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9tdi

Post by GJHuman »

Scatman wrote:I had one stuffed inner CV joint. The symptoms I experienced were similar to having very bad wheel balancing. Apparently, the heat from my gearbox/exhaust caused the grease in my inner CV to become hard... When driving on a highway it would feel as if my wheel balancing was way out. I could "cure" this by turning very sharply from side-to-side (going slowly of course). But it would emerge again. It also seemed to get worse when I was driving long distances (e.g. more than 100km non-stop).

Hey Scatman,

I think I have the same problem as the one you described above. My discs keep shuddering, so I replaced my hubs (I think they added to the problem). But now I still have vibration above 100km/h. Last week I did balancing, but still shuddering. I took my car to a Driveshaft & CV shop and they said there is play on both my inner CVs. It is driving me mad!

How did you resolve the problem?
Did you replace them, or just a service?
Did that resolve you vibration problem?

Gerrit
Scatman
General

Post by Scatman »

GJHuman wrote:
Scatman wrote:I had one stuffed inner CV joint. The symptoms I experienced were similar to having very bad wheel balancing. Apparently, the heat from my gearbox/exhaust caused the grease in my inner CV to become hard... When driving on a highway it would feel as if my wheel balancing was way out. I could "cure" this by turning very sharply from side-to-side (going slowly of course). But it would emerge again. It also seemed to get worse when I was driving long distances (e.g. more than 100km non-stop).

Hey Scatman,

I think I have the same problem as the one you described above. My discs keep shuddering, so I replaced my hubs (I think they added to the problem). But now I still have vibration above 100km/h. Last week I did balancing, but still shuddering. I took my car to a Driveshaft & CV shop and they said there is play on both my inner CVs. It is driving me mad!

How did you resolve the problem?
Did you replace them, or just a service?
Did that resolve you vibration problem?

Gerrit
Hi Gerrit

Yes I just replaced all my CV joints and the problem was solved. I bought "Solid" CV joints amd they were pretty much identical to the OEM ones I had on my car, even the grooves from the machining process were exactly the same.

The car was a pleasure to drive after fitting the new CV's, the original CV's lasted 220 000km.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Current:
Ex:
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2006 BMW E90 330d Manual
*Click here*
2006 Sportline
*Click here*
*Click here*