128kw
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk7 GTi & Polo 9n3

Mk7 Reverse Camera - Stuck in Open Position

Post by 128kw »

Hey guys,

New issue developed recently the reverse camera gets stuck in the open position.
Select reverse gear, camera pops out as it should it shows on the Infotainment screen.
You come out of reverse and usually wait 10sec or so and the camera closes, Infotainment goes back to whatever screen you were on.

However now at random the camera will stay open, Infotainment returns to whatever screen you were on before you engaged the camera.
You can also hear that the camera has not closed it doesn't make the "usual" sound when it actually closes.
Camera stays open but does not display picture and because its open you can't open the boot.

I then have to put it in reverse the camera engages and displays the picture on screen.
Then go out of reverse and wait for the camera to disengage and for it to close - sometimes I need to do it a few times before it eventually closes.

I have OBD11 and scanned the car and it doesn't throw any errors for the camera.
I took it to a VW recently and they were of ZERO help, the more I'm explaining the issue the more this advisor is telling me "that's how it works".
Then proceeds to demonstrate by getting someone to drive it through the parking lot :bang: ...like seriously?
To top it all he then tells me the camera is probably aftermarket because the guidelines on the display are green vs yellow and according to him it must be yellow to be an "original VW camera" :crazy:

They had the car with them for 2 full days (needed LCA's done, waited for parts) and doesn't even look like they stripped the camera and everytime I called "oh yeah we still checking it".

Anyway my little rant over...anyone experience a similar issue?

Side note can anyone recommend a decent VW mechanic to go to now that Morne has launched us :oops:

Thanks!
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey
08’ Polo Playa 1.6i Comfortline, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
98' Golf 3 VR6 Exec, White
04' Golf Life 1.6i, White
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Mk7 Reverse Camera - Stuck in Open Position

Post by Belix »

Any dealer would be able to check on ETKA, if nothing else, if the camera was an OEM fitment or not, what a useless bunch.

If the mk7 camera is anything like the mk6 camera, the camera itself has no CAN input, so it would not show up any errors. If yours has the guide lines linked to steering input, then that is a separate control module that does have CAN input.
What the camera does have is three inputs: earth, permanent live and reverse signal. The motor on the camera looks for the reverse signal, and when it receives it, it moves the camera to the open position. When it loses the signal, a built in delay timer waits a few seconds, then signals the motor to move the camera to the closed position.

First thing to check is that the reverse light is off when the camera is still out. (I'm assuming the reverse light and camera trigger come from the same source).
If the reverse light is off, I'd think the issue would be with the camera itself, likely the circuity that delays the reverse signal.
It's difficult to test, you'd need to remove trim and get access to the camera, then test it with a 12V source. Connect up the constant 12V+ and ground, then connect up and disconnect the reverse wire to the 12V+ a few times, and check it extends and retracts.

Very unlikely, but if the above test retracts correctly consistently, then somehow the trigger signal is staying on. Easiest solution would be to take a replacement signal off the actual reverse light by using a repair wire from the reverse light positive.
128kw
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Model: Mk7 GTi & Polo 9n3

Post by 128kw »

Thanks Belix appreciate the reply.

Reverse light is definitely out and the camera is still in an open position. I've even parked, gotten out the car and locked it and the camera was still open.
The weird thing is when it doesn't close - you hear it "try" to close but its like it does not complete almost like it gets caught/stuck on something.
I assume it has an actuator to extend and retract so thought that could be the issue?
It did cross my mind to strip the boot and remove it and check it out will give that a go since VW are just a bunch of time wasters.
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey
08’ Polo Playa 1.6i Comfortline, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
98' Golf 3 VR6 Exec, White
04' Golf Life 1.6i, White
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

Ah, if you're hearing it try and close, then that narrow it down, and I'd concentrate on the camera retraction mechanism itself. You might be lucky and it might just need some grease. Unfortunately if something is broken, you'll likely need to buy the whole badge with camera unless you get lucky and find one at a scrap yard.
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Post by PoloRolo »

If you fail at a DIY fix, get in touch with Chris from Retrofitters. I know he does these.
Chanaaronchan
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 9 months

Post by Chanaaronchan »

I am having the exact same thing happen on my e-golf. The camera easily opens when I go into reverse and then once in a while (used to be once a week and now is starting to feel like a few times a week) it gets “stuck” and doesn’t close. I can’t open the boot and I’ll go back into the car, turn it on, put it in reverse, park etc, until it finally closes. One time (when the camera was closed), I turned off the car, closed the door, locked the car, and then the camera opened! It was very eerie. It ended up closing but I still am having inconsistent issues with it. I don’t think it makes any sounds of “trying” to close but I will try to take a closer listen. I’m worried it’s a software glitch and like you, I’m not excited about the idea of bringing it into a dealership. Did you make any headway on this topic? My biggest worry is that one of these days it won’t close at all and I won’t be able to get the boot open...